Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

Well, it seems OTA signals have been restored, but I CANNOT believe that this could be connected to Oceanic's underwater cable problem.

I'm just glad I got my broadband internet service from Hawaiian Telcom. They continued uninterrupted all through yesterday (Tuesday July 27). What is even sweeter than having DSL from HT? I got a "Loyalty Upgrade," bumping my high-speed internet from 3Mbps to 7Mbps at NO additional cost.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Random et al,

The reason the OTA stations were affected on Maui and BI is that we fiber our signals from Oahu to Maui and BI using the same fiber that failed. We moved from a microwave based delivery to the fiber when we moved to our new site since we cannot "see" microwave from Oahu at the new site and it would have taken a microwave chain to deliver the signals...including getting permission to keep one link near our old site on Haleakala...which was problematic.

Mike

Comment

Is anyone else having problems on Oahu tuning in to channel 2.1/2.2? I haven't been getting their signal since the cable damage. First, it was no signal at all, now it's just extremely low signal (4 to 16/100) which never rises to flashing a picture on screen. All other channels are fine.

Random, how did you qualify for that upgrade? I'd sure like it, too.
        Last edited by salmoned; July 28, 2010, 11:22 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
          Random et al,

The reason the OTA stations were affected on Maui and BI is that we fiber our signals from Oahu to Maui and BI using the same fiber that failed. We moved from a microwave based delivery to the fiber when we moved to our new site since we cannot "see" microwave from Oahu at the new site and it would have taken a microwave chain to deliver the signals...including getting permission to keep one link near our old site on Haleakala...which was problematic.

Mike
          Ah. I get it. So if this happens again, we OTA viewers are in the same boat as the Oceanic subscribers, even if we don't subscribe.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Random,

The fiber we lease is from another division of Time-Warner, not Oceanic Time-Warner Cable, but in this case the fiber was being used by both the broadcasters and Oceanic.
            Doesn't mean that whenever they have a problem that we would necessarily be affected.

Mike

Comment

The damaged fiber is co- owned by TW Telecom and Wavecom Solutions (formerly Pacific LightNet). TW Telecom was partially owned and founded by Time Warner Cable. However, they were spun off a few years ago and is an independent entity now.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Ahh, "We know the rest of the Story"

Comment

KGMB,KHNL,K5 Have been off on OTA since Midnight 8/5, Any one knows whats up with that?

Comment

so much for Over the Air.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So I see some physical changes have occurred or are in progress on the Century Center (old KHON analog) and the KGMB towers (old KGMB-DT, KHON-DT & KHET-DT) last week. Does anyone know what the plans are for those sites? It sure would be nice to see more DTV broadcasting from town.

Comment

Strange problem on maui with 13.1/13.2 KHNL/KGMB. On my Philips TV with digital tuner wont get the 2 channels listed. All I get is Signal/No Program. However when I go thru an RCA DT800B1 they are there. Anyone else has this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by toddk968 View Post
                          So I see some physical changes have occurred or are in progress on the Century Center (old KHON analog) and the KGMB towers (old KGMB-DT, KHON-DT & KHET-DT) last week. Does anyone know what the plans are for those sites? It sure would be nice to see more DTV broadcasting from town.
                          The KGMB tower is slowly being dismantled a piece at the time near Makaloa Street. If you walk by there you can see workmen climbing up or suspended from the tower taking things apart. The entire property is being re-developed as a new retail complex.

Don't know about the old KHON tower, but I suspect that one could be coming down too.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mauibuzz View Post
                            Strange problem on maui with 13.1/13.2 KHNL/KGMB. On my Philips TV with digital tuner wont get the 2 channels listed. All I get is Signal/No Program. However when I go thru an RCA DT800B1 they are there. Anyone else has this problem?

Yes, same kinda' problems here in Wailuku.
                            I think it might be something with transport stream(?) because my one year old Visio can display the guide data, but says No Video or Audio. My friends 3 yr old Samsung is working fine, but his 3 other, newer, Sharp/ProScan sets don't work.
                            I guess it's time to let them know at KHNL.
                            Last edited by tvhawaii; January 23, 2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

E-mail sent to:
                              Engineer On Call- Miles Miyahara
                              Telephone: (808)- 843-3619
                              Fax: (808)- 845-3616

E-mail: mmiyahara@hawaiinewsnow.com

Comment

More strange KHNL/KGMB OTA problems, still same problem with Philips DTV tuner.Now using RCA converter box, strange audio problems on 13.1/13.2 no main audio,but you can hear the laugh tracks/background music only. It seems the OTA KHNL/KGMB problems are getting worst. Thanks tvhawaii for posting the e-mail address.

Comment

Working...
                                X