X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
    Mostly the story was about the surfing history and Duke Kahanamoku tho but it also made me think of this thread and wondering if eventually they will not be happy until every square inch of the beautiful Oahu is covered with cars and blacktops and ways to get from one place to another.
    That quote could have been from 50+ years ago, and no doubt was often said.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I snapped a photo in 04 of an area that I found amazing at how the homes had been built nearly all the way up the hill. Returned home and found pretty much the same shot in a collection of pics my grandma had left behind that was taken when she visited Oahu in the early 70's if not on one of her two trips there while we had our 79-82 tour.
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Just watching 5-0 depicts the insane buildup and losses. I love cruising thru ebay for all the vintage Hawaii photos and seeing what was. Hawaii sure had it.

Comment

Same here and I am not even from there originally or living there now, just massively spoiled to it's beauty for 3 years when a younger gal (preteen).
          I actually imagined that we would be living in grass huts, running around barefoot and no school when my dad got the orders for his tour of duty to Schofield Barracks in 79. Boy, was I wrong! LOL

I think that if people were concerned about numerous fares to get where they were going, they would have to liken it to how New Yorkers don't all own cars and so their bus and cab fare is the same dif and tags, license, gas and inspections.
          Or Hawaii could always do what Boston did and go for the Big Dig arrangment. Not.

Comment

Council hearing on rail propaganda July 11, 2012 calling out HART for its fleecing the public:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIhgVq0KWcs

Why do we still need to have 9.5 entities plus every construction contract agreement include millions of dollars a year to sway folks about the benefits of rail? Asked by City Councilman Tom Berg.

Watch and listen to the whole video.
            You'll be pleased and or surprised by the ending!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

gee, don't tell me there's something rotten in Den...olulu!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Makes you want to pray for speed in global warming, and wish for an O'ahu major tsunami.
                Nah. Wouldn't work, or at least wouldn't be enough.

Maybe Iran can nuke us? Or S. Korea?
                Sheez, I hope not! I wanna move there and zip all around on my motorcycle uninhibited by the rail or no, the Bus or no, another H1 or no...

Maybe that Ellison dude could just kick in the money for all these "good" ideas, he has enough to buy a damn island. Jus sayin.

Comment

Although some want RAIL for the short term (minimal) jobs, most folks truly don't want OUR wallets raided for it! Most won't use it but gotta pay exorbitant taxes for it .
                  Stop this now D'mit!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdWR8...feature=b-vrec

Vote Cayetano folks or we'll be, and our children will be sorry.

Comment

I watched a movie I rented from Netflix called The Ride and most of it was meant to be set in 1911 when there was nothing but the Moana Hotel and Diamond Head in Waikiki. Before the guy went back to where he came from, him and the girl were on Oahu Railway, apparently a train service that was on the island then??
                    Years ago there was a functional narrow gauge railway on O`ahu. If you drive out to the Ko`olina resort, or to the public access lagoons there (fine West coast swimming, BTW), you will drive across the extant railroad tracks (and get to see some fine black swans, BTW).
                    From what I understand, many of the steel tracks have been torn up, in fact my neighbor has some RR tracks in his yard, as part of a structure.

I don't really oppose some sort of railway for Oahu, but Mufi Hannaman's "Steel on steel," 'my way or the highway' approach really turned me off (and a lot of us, because steel-on-steel is noisy, dirty, and polluting). With so many other options, like mag-lev, especially. Quieter, faster, easier on the environment.

And now Mufi wants us to elect him into a more powerful position? So he can impose more of his will on us?
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Just watching 5-0 depicts the insane buildup and losses. I love cruising thru ebay for all the vintage Hawaii photos and seeing what was. Hawaii sure had it.

Still does IMO. Sure, just my own neighborhood, there are dirty, ugly areas but it's so much easier to overlook there than here.

Comment

Still does IMO.
                        There's still good points about Hawaii, especially when looking from afar, but it's not like it was pre-'80, it's now a generic version with nice weather and topography.

Comment

I'm Not For Rail by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Yes, I'm opposed to rail. Here are some updates since the last post (Aug 7):

City halts rail construction in wake of court ruling

Honolulu Rail Construction Stopped, Now What?

Hawaii Rail Construction Grinds to a Halt...

Honolulu Rail Project on Trial (video)

Carlisle's Fall: Incumbent Is 'Skunked' By Cayetano
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Clickedy clack - clickedy clack, the wheels go rollin' on the railroad track; well if you go you can't come back.... If you go you can't come back.... If you Gooooooooo, you can't come back.....
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Great post Mel. Good job on all that research.
                              I found another report. This one from Pacific Business News.
                              "The City and County of Honolulu has stopped construction on its $5.16 billion elevated-rail mass-transit project following last week's Hawaii Supreme Court ruling against the project..." http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...?ana=e_lulu_bn

Comment

They'll be filling in the holes and trenches from now on.
                                Good grief, the computer visions of what this monstrosity would look like cutting thru Honolulu is nothing better than complete visual blight. What a horror story, finally being undone. Redo the bus system, and get in new mgt.

Comment

Working...
                                X