Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Mista Bumpy View Post
    I'm just wondering where everyone's going to park. It's bad enough in that neighborhood already, and I don't think Walmart/Sam's is gonna like people using their lot, especially since they got their own drug operation there. Should be inneresting.
    If they tear down the old Tower building, maybe they'll add a few more parking spots. If not, maybe they're banking on the new parking spots available when Nordstroms opens across the street.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Well, a photo technician is not a PR guy, but he does work there. The tone of that last post sent me scurrying for Google.
      I clicked on that link out of idle curiousity, and what really caught my attention on GT's page was this:

"About me:
      I'm 19 years old, I have 2 daughters, and a son. I love paintballing and import cars, and anything that has to do with computers or video games."

Three kids already, and he's only 19 years old.
      Wow.
      Just... wow.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        I clicked on that link out of idle curiousity, and what really caught my attention on GT's page was this:

"About me:
        I'm 19 years old, I have 2 daughters, and a son. I love paintballing and import cars, and anything that has to do with computers or video games."

Wow.
        Just... wow.

Ha...2 like minds, LN! I had the same reaction and started to reply to this thread but wasn't happy with the way my words flowed! My first thought...after "Wow"!...was that Walgreen's must have good benefits. Having 3 children while still a teenager can't be easy financially and a 19 year old hasn't had enough job experience to command a really good salary.

As you say..."Just... wow."!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          If they tear down the old Tower building, maybe they'll add a few more parking spots. If not, maybe they're banking on the new parking spots available when Nordstroms opens across the street.
          So far they don't seem to be tearing the buildings down... only gutting the inside and likely doing extensive interior renovation. I think they will probably combine the 2 buildings... if one goes than most likely it would be the old Tower Video building. But so far both still up. I'll walk by there later today and take a few pics.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            So far they don't seem to be tearing the buildings down... only gutting the inside and likely doing extensive interior renovation. I think they will probably combine the 2 buildings... if one goes than most likely it would be the old Tower Video building. But so far both still up. I'll walk by there later today and take a few pics.
            If they are not planning to tear down any of the buildings, that would seem to be such an awkward layout for Walgreens. The pharmacy in one building and the general goods in the other? Or maybe they will tear down the old Tower Video to make some room for a couple more parking spots and simply have a small Walgreens? I've been to one that has roughly the same interior space as the Tower Record building has. That would make the most sense. If they are tearing down everything and building from scratch, then the land configuration is a bit awkward with KFC in the way.

Comment

Exactly what are they going to do with the Towers Video building? Use that for the drive-through?

Personally, I think they're going to buy out the KFC establishment there, if not work with them in designing a new singular structure.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Wow.
                Well, some of the other Google results I found seemed to indicate that two of them might be step-children, so cut the guy some slack on that one. We should focus on this topic, yes?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well, some of the other Google results I found seemed to indicate that two of them might be step-children, so cut the guy some slack on that one.
                  C'mon, Scriv, neither Tutu nor I were attacking the guy. Not even close. All we said was "Wow." Heck, for having three kids at 19, the "wow" might even be taken as a compliment!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Ha...2 like minds, LN! I had the same reaction and started to reply to this thread but wasn't happy with the way my words flowed! My first thought...after "Wow"!...was that Walgreen's must have good benefits. Having 3 children while still a teenager can't be easy financially and a 19 year old hasn't had enough job experience to command a really good salary.

As you say..."Just... wow."!
                    Note for the slow- I'm obviously not 19 with three children. I used to work as a photo technician when I started with walgreens years ago. If you think that a myspace from my high school days is accurate when gauging personal information, then maybe that's why you can't understand why Walgreens will put Longs out of business. As far as benefits go, yeah Walgreens has good benefits. Is the pay good as well? Yes it is. In fact, it's very competitive. as far as your off-topic post into what you thought was delving into my personal life, maybe you should read about the main topic of this post again, "Walgeens in Hawaii." Not, "Who is GiftedThunder."

Comment

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
                      Note for the slow- I'm obviously not 19 with three children.
                      "Obviously"? How was anyone supposed to "obviously" know that? Yesterday your page said you were 19, though I see you removed the "I'm 19 years old" from your MySpace page today and now note that you say you're 30 years old. Good on you for correcting that. As for us being "slow", see my next comments.

If you think that a myspace from my high school days is accurate when gauging personal information, then maybe that's why you can't understand why Walgreens will put Longs out of business.
                      Settle down, binky. When I looked at it yesterday, your page said your last log-in was last week. Any particular reason your readers were supposed to "obviously" think or know that it was 11 years out of date?

As far as your off-topic post into what you thought was delving into my personal life, maybe you should read about the main topic of this post again, "Walgeens in Hawaii." Not, "Who is GiftedThunder."
                      Why all the anger? I/we could care less about your personal life. But methinks thou doth protest too much. Which now makes me wonder if you were intentionally trying to make your readers think your were 19. Hmmm.

Comment

as far as your off-topic post into what you thought was delving into my personal life, maybe you should read about the main topic of this post again, "Walgeens in Hawaii." Not, "Who is GiftedThunder."
                        In all fairness, "who is GiftedThunder" is a reasonable question in this thread. We've been talking about Walgreens in this thread for nearly two years. You show up and make a whole bunch of claims about what Walgreens will do, some of them VERY specific:
                        Walgreens always leases the land they build their stores on.
                        From day 1 to the finished product, it takes approximately 90 days for a store to open.
                        Some of them provocative:
                        Walgreens will provide more jobs, at better pay than Longs.
                        Some of them contradictory
                        Walgreens accepts all major insurance plans
                        Finding out [if Walgreens will fill prescriptions from Kaiser] is as easy as placing a call to a Walgreens pharmacy"
                        (Will it accept ALL MAJOR PLANS or do we need to CALL TO FIND OUT?),
                        And some of it darn near commercial-sounding
                        ...their convenient database of online information...without having to wait in the store at all!...That way, when you get to that Walgreens, it may already be ready for you!
                        When asked how you KNOW some of this stuff, you have completely ignored the question, continuing instead to make claims without giving us any reason to believe you have any idea what you're talking about. No disclaimers about working for Walgreens (or not working for Walgreens), no citations about how much Longs employees make compared to Walgreens employees, and no posts in any other threads on HT. Is it not understandable that we (I) went scurrying for some kind of info on you, since you refuse to back up anything you've said?

Of course a MySpace profile is not definitive, but it's what we had to go on (plus a few posts to church bulletin boards and paintball-themed bulletin boards), and looking at that MySpace profile, it's pretty clear that the Walgreens part isn't made up. It may be outdated, but when it was written, it was pretty close to factual.

It's cool with me if all you want to do is talk about Walgreens, but don't be surprised if we don't swallow everything you say without your telling us how you know what you know or why you believe what you believe. Eventually, you'll just be ignored, the way you're ignoring our requests for some kind of support for your arguments. On the other hand, if you'd like to engage in some meaningful conversation, please don't expect us to believe stuff like "90 days" or "more jobs at better pay" with nothing to back it up, unless it's just your predictive opinion, in which case it would be nice if you'd tell us.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's cool with me if all you want to do is talk about Walgreens, but don't be surprised if we don't swallow everything you say without your telling us how you know what you know or why you believe what you believe. Eventually, you'll just be ignored, the way you're ignoring our requests for some kind of support for your arguments. On the other hand, if you'd like to engage in some meaningful conversation, please don't expect us to believe stuff like "90 days" or "more jobs at better pay" with nothing to back it up, unless it's just your predictive opinion, in which case it would be nice if you'd tell us.
                          I don't remember anyone asking me how I would know any of the aforementioned reasons that Walgreens would put Longs out of business were true or for any evidence to support them. If you want to know how I know Walgreens builds their stores in 90 days:
                          My brother works for Home Depot, they contract out the supplies for the Walgreens stores, which are built in 90 days, in three stages. They take 3 shipments from the same supplier that Home Depot uses over a period of 60-80 days, with the last 10 days being used for stocking shelves, installing computers, etc. As far as better wages and for employees in Hawaii, Walgreens bases their pays on the market rates. They poll business in the surrounding area for wages that similar employees in similar jobs make, then they beef them up to give people incentives to work at Walgreens. Just because they are making a new Walgreens in Hawaii, doesn't mean that they are going to fly seasoned employees in from the Continental US. They will still need employees from Hawaii. Why would an employee who works at Longs want to work at Walgreens for the same/less pay? Obviously only higher pay/better hours would be an incentive. I don't see Walgreens move into Hawaii as an intrusion, but rather an opportunity to provide better healthcare and pharmacy services to the Hawaiin populace. When Walgreens first moved into my city when I was younger, we only had CVS and Eckerd drugstores. When Walgreens moved into town, many of the employees that worked at those two drugstores moved to Walgreens. Paired with a newer store, better systems, and cheaper prices, these same employees provided me the same great service I was used to before. So why did I choose Walgreens from then on? Because it was just better. Some people aren't open to change. I'm open to whoever provides me the service the fastest, at the best price, with the most sincere customer service. Walgreens doesn't provide that. The people that work there do.

Comment

I don't remember anyone asking me how I would know any of the aforementioned reasons that Walgreens would put Longs out of business were true or for any evidence to support them. If you want to know how I know Walgreens builds their stores in 90 days:
                            My brother works for Home Depot, they contract out the supplies for the Walgreens stores, which are built in 90 days, in three stages. They take 3 shipments from the same supplier that Home Depot uses over a period of 60-80 days, with the last 10 days being used for stocking shelves, installing computers, etc. As far as better wages and for employees in Hawaii, Walgreens bases their pays on the market rates. They poll business in the surrounding area for wages that similar employees in similar jobs make, then they beef them up to give people incentives to work at Walgreens. Just because they are making a new Walgreens in Hawaii, doesn't mean that they are going to fly seasoned employees in from the Continental US. They will still need employees from Hawaii. Why would an employee who works at Longs want to work at Walgreens for the same/less pay? Obviously only higher pay/better hours would be an incentive. I don't see Walgreens move into Hawaii as an intrusion, but rather an opportunity to provide better healthcare and pharmacy services to the Hawaiin populace. When Walgreens first moved into my city when I was younger, we only had CVS and Eckerd drugstores. When Walgreens moved into town, many of the employees that worked at those two drugstores moved to Walgreens. Paired with a newer store, better systems, and cheaper prices, these same employees provided me the same great service I was used to before. So why did I choose Walgreens from then on? Because it was just better. Some people aren't open to change. I'm open to whoever provides me the service the fastest, at the best price, with the most sincere customer service. Walgreens doesn't provide that. The people that work there do.
                            Blah, blah, blah... now that I know your connection to Walgreens, GT, I can properly categorize your posts as propaganda.

You're telling us how things are gonna happen in Hawaii, because "that's the way Walgreens does it on the mainland."

Yeeeeeeeaaaah. Okay.

Your cheerleading from thousands of miles away about a locale you've never visited, much less worked in, is a joke.

Go play some paintball or something back in Texas, or wherever the hell it is you're from.
                            Last edited by Palolo Joe; July 9, 2007, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I don't remember anyone asking me how I would know any of the aforementioned reasons that Walgreens would put Longs out of business were true or for any evidence to support them.
                              Then you have not been reading the thread very carefully. But to help you out:
                              4. Walgreens will provide more jobs, at better pay than Longs.
                              Your quote was followed by his question:
                              Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              And you know this how, exactly?
                              ...and...
                              Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              How, exactly, do you know that Walgreens will pay more than Longs? Do you work in HR at Walgreens? Do you have some sort of insider information for a business concern that hasn't even opened yet here on Oahu? Do you even live in Hawaii?
                              That's what you failed to answer. As others noted, your failure to reveal that Walgreen's is your EMPLOYER, while you continued to make postings that promote them, destroyed your credibility here. That was further damaged by the errors in your own MySpace website, corrected only after having been exposed here.

I'm amazed that your site was supposedly eleven years out of date, since MySpace hasn't been in existence that long; so either you lied on that site before, or you are lying on it now - either way, why should any of us now believe anything you have to say?

Does Walgreen's know that you are posting messages publicly about them, both here and on MySpace? Hmmm...I have friends in Walgreen's management positions (no, not the daughter to which I referred earlier); I think I'll ask them about company policy regarding this activity, maybe give them a few links to view.

I'll hold off for a day on that. Maybe that will give you an opportunity to come clean with us and tell us what's truth and what's fiction in your c.v. The clock is ticking, and the floor is yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Then you have not been reading the thread very carefully. But to help you out:Your quote was followed by his question:...and...That's what you failed to answer. As others noted, your failure to reveal that Walgreen's is your EMPLOYER, while you continued to make postings that promote them, destroyed your credibility here. That was further damaged by the errors in your own MySpace website, corrected only after having been exposed here.

I'm amazed that your site was supposedly eleven years out of date, since MySpace hasn't been in existence that long; so either you lied on that site before, or you are lying on it now - either way, why should any of us now believe anything you have to say?

Does Walgreen's know that you are posting messages publicly about them, both here and on MySpace? Hmmm...I have friends in Walgreen's management positions (no, not the daughter to which I referred earlier); I think I'll ask them about company policy regarding this activity, maybe give them a few links to view.

I'll hold off for a day on that. Maybe that will give you an opportunity to come clean with us and tell us what's truth and what's fiction in your c.v. The clock is ticking, and the floor is yours.
                                First off, everything I posted was pure opinion, as was everything else that everyone else posted, I did not offer any supportive evidence because it was an opinion. If you read my previous post, I said that they will offer better pay because that would likely be the only incentive to get people to work at Walgreens if they were already employed at Longs since this was the same way it happened in my home town with the drugstores that were here before. Pharmacists and Pharmacy Techs are hard to come by, especially trained and in a small state such as Hawaii. Nowhere in my posts did I "fail" to mention Walgreens is or was my employer because this website is not the "public" but a general message forum, where anyone can voice their opinion on anything (Which I guess includes guesses at people's personal lives as well) and if you read my last post, I said it's where I choose to shop, not where I work.

C'mon, Scriv, neither Tutu nor I were attacking the guy. Not even close. All we said was "Wow." Heck, for having three kids at 19, the "wow" might even be taken as a compliment!

Do you have rules?Sure. No make huhu. That is to say, the standard guidelines of online communities apply.

There are three key considerations. First, no posting obscene, illegal, inflammatory or libelous content. Second, all outside announcements and promotional material (be it for a business, non-profit community group, or private project) should be relevant to Hawaii and limited to the "Hale Ku`ai" (Marketplace) section. Finally, no personal attacks: discuss, debate, and dissect ideas, not each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X