Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

it would appear today's sunday food section has answered my prayer for a good dim sum place also found out a neighbor has connection for two restaurants - won't have to suffer my own cooking for long
    this space for rent

Comment

I love this photo.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        I love this photo.
        i lovem too!!! who goin manapua run??!! raise yo hand??!!!
        Reggie aka pinakboy
        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
        Recipe Tube TV!
        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          eh, if you like make your own (and you get time now dat you retired, yeah Craig? ), go to Alohaworld and Ono Recipes. Go look foa "Miulang's Manapua". I took that to a recent Ohanalanai gathering and everybody there said it was da bess manapua dey ever ate (da secret is da sesame oil in da dough).

Ooooh, now you make me all hungry for grine manapua! Maybe gotta go home and go make some later on....

Miulang
          As one of da lucky ones who wen get to grind Miulang's manapua last Satahday at da gathering, I can attest to da fact dat it was da best manapua I evah wen grine. Perfect size, onolicious flavah... I wish I wen grine moah, but nomo room in da ōpū!
          Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
            As one of da lucky ones who wen get to grind Miulang's manapua last Satahday at da gathering, I can attest to da fact dat it was da best manapua I evah wen grine. Perfect size, onolicious flavah... I wish I wen grine moah, but nomo room in da ōpū!
            <Sigh> So now I gotta Fedex some manapua to Lurkah and you? His I guess I can hand carry to Vegas in Sept. and give to him there, but yours going be harder to get to you unless you can wait until me and Panzo holoholo kaa down your side sometime.

Mahalos,
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              <Sigh> So now I gotta Fedex some manapua to Lurkah and you? His I guess I can hand carry to Vegas in Sept. and give to him there, but yours going be harder to get to you unless you can wait until me and Panzo holoholo kaa down your side sometime.

Mahalos,
              Miulang
              Well.... oa wen we holoholo ka‘ up yoah way sometime.... OA: how long it wen take u foah make um? We stay talking all day long?
              OA: U could gimme mines ones to me firss an DEN to Lurkah!!
              Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

Libby's tops my list (Kalihi st.,, 2 blocks makai of Chun Wah Kam). Plain and simple steamed charsiu manapua with Pork Hash. Das' it!

2nd to that would be Char Hung Sut.

One poster here said they don't eat Manapua because of the "mystery meat" factor. Speaking of which, I heard Libby's (my favorite) uses canned corned beef in their charsiu filling.. but I doubt that's true.. tell me it's not true! lol
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Island Manapua Factory

As reported in today's Honolulu Advertiser...
                  Island Manapua in Honolulu sold
                  Lee announced the sale of Island Manapua's production factory/retail outlet and fee-simple property at 811 Gulick Ave. in Kalihi, as well as its retail outlet at Manoa Marketplace, to Dragon Pacific Investment, owners of Regal Diner at McCully Shopping Center.
                  The new owners don't plan any major changes to the currently profitable business.

Here's a set of IMF's steamed and very popular baked varieties...

Island Manapua Factory - Baked and Steamed Manapua

Speaking of which, I have yet to try Kwong On, a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant on Waialae ave.. I understand they have really ono baked and steamed Manapua, and last I checked (a few months ago by phone), they were just 65 cents each, making them the best deal in town. Anyone been there?
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'll take Baked with Char Siu Pork...but I like Chicken kine too...they have it here at 99 Ranch.Steam it, then bake it, throw on some Plum sauce. ONO.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

my first and only love in terms of manapua is libby's. i, too, am a purist and prefer steamed pork manapua where the meat is red inside and the dough is fluffy, white and moist outside. i could live happily ever after if i never tasted any other kind of manapua, i'm pretty sure. i've tried all kinds of non-red pork manapua and i was always left with the wistful feeling that i should have ordered the usual.

i do like char hung sut but if i do go there it's mostly cause i want their ma tai tsu (sp?) which is about the same size as a pork hash but has a flakier dough and is filled with shrimp (i think) and water chestnuts (i'm pretty sure) and pork (i think).

kwong on has the best BAKED manapua, tho. course, i may be prejudiced bcs i associate their baked manapua with the second meal eric and i had together, back when we were merely dating. *sigh*
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Ah, that's manapua! Not five minutes after I arrived in Honolulu my Aunt stopped at the 7/11 and made me eat some. I was a bit jetlagged and disoriented, I don't think it quite dawned on me other than the fact that, "Whoa, chinese food in a gas station.." I had the steamed char sui, I believe. Good stuff, that.

Now where to get some in Ohio at 2 in the morning..
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Kwong On in Kaimuki was cited several times by the Health Dept if I recall. They do have one of the best sesame candies I've tasted tho - not too sweet, not too sticky.

I, too, favor the traditional steamed charsiu manapua. For me it has to be from Char Hung Sut. Their half-moons are great but for ma tai tsu (sp?) I prefer Royal Kitchen...flaky crust, contents not too sweet. Yummm!

Comment

What the hell is bi-manapua? You steam it then bake it (or vice versa)?

I like both but prefer baked. Can't stand trying to remove the paper on the bottom (I tend to rip the bottom of the manapua, spilling the filling out).
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I like the traditional cha siu bao served at dim sum. Its the right ratio and portion of bun and meat. The bigger manapua has too much bun.

Comment

i never had to buy manapua til my mom passed away. she was making custom manapua long before these other places were. i was the happy guinea pig who got to try her ham and cheese, pizza (portugese sausage or pepperoni, cheese, and ragu), and chicken and shiitake creations 10 years ago.
                                also, i prefer steamed with real pieces of char siu, not the shredded cat kind.
                                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                                X