Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by Pomai
    A No-sodium, vegetarian "hospital food" hot dog on whole wheat bun and no condiments with prunes on the side, served by you, the RN. Yummy!

I see Erika's daughter's point about insisting on the total NYC hot dog "experience". No matter how original it may be in the supermarket at Kailua Foodland, eating it on the beautiful blue sky, white sandy Lanikai beach just wouldn't validate it.

You need the complete NYC "ambiance": Concrete canyons, smog, gray skies, subways and passing motorists yelling expletives at each other. Then the cart vendor asks you, "What the #*()ck you want on your #$cing hot *##ck**ing dog?".

The next best thing I can think of, would be to get a NYC dog here and eat on the streets of Waikiki.
    Reading that, I was reminded of my first trip to Boston's North End Pizza in Kailua, right after they opened. I stepped up and was asked - by Tom Rossi himself, I think - "Yeah, whaddayaneed?!"
    I LOVED IT! It just added so much to the ambiance of the place and to the experience. I know some folks were taken aback by the East Coast thing -- but I just adored it. I ordered several slices, including one spinach and garlic, which he repeated over his shoulder -- loudly -- one spinno and gahlic! ...

Okay, back OT. I may be going to Foodland to check out the Boar's Head Dog sitch today ...
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

The next best thing I can think of, would be to get a NYC dog here and eat on the streets of Waikiki.
      yea, that may aproximate the experience. walking along Kalakaua and being sourrounded and jostled by a big crowd of sour dour faced grumpy people complaining and commenting negatively on everything around them.

"Sour rounded. hahaa. Lilly. I made a funny!"
      Last edited by kimo55; August 5, 2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        yea, that may aproximate the experience. being sourrounded and jostled by a big crowd of sour dour faced grumpy people complaining and commenting negatively on everything around them.
        You from NY too??

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
          Okay, back OT. I may be going to Foodland to check out the Boar's Head Dog sitch today ...
          Unless things have changed, their usual delivery day is Tuesday---my husband asked, after being disappointed by the empty shelves more than once.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
            Yeah, well, there ain't no accountin' for taste.

Toss you up against any street vendor in NY and you would just wither, fold, and die.

Nothing personal. I must say you might do quite well here. Just don't even think of crossing the Pacific.
            Been to New York. Had the hot dogs. Ain't that great.

And if you haven't tried the Redondo's hot dog in some Zippy's chili, well, you can just get back on a plane and go to the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

And if you haven't tried the Redondo's hot dog in some Zippy's chili, well, you can just get back on a plane and go to the mainland.
              Like I said, no accountin' for taste...

The fluorescence of the Redondo dogs frightens me a bit. They really don't taste that terrible. Hidden in Zippy's chili, not so bad. Cuts down on the glare somewhat, too.

I ate a ton, at least, of those fuschia babies during the last nurses' strike. Boiled, oozing neon-pink juice, on stale buns. Probably not the best presentation but it was cold, raining, and I was stuck on the night-shift picket line on stormy Mahalo Street. Sad little tent city, happy to accept any and all donations.

And decades of eating hospital cafeteria food prepares you for just about anything.

Comment

Been seeing a TV commerical from Oscar Meyer with their latest product which has the bun included with the hot dog. I can only assume you have to microwave it to heat it up before serving it.

At least it solves the age old problem why are hot dogs are sold in packs of 10 and hot dog buns in packs of 8.

Comment

I was eating a pretty good hot dog from costco, when i was driving on the ewa side of Kinau during that nurses strike a few years ago. I loved it.
                  what sights;

Nurses next to hospitals walking around with signage that read
                  "HONK... if you support the strike"

yea. make noise in a "quiet! Hospital zone".
                  huuuh huh huh.

Comment

I was reminded of my first trip to Boston's North End Pizza in Kailua, right after they opened. I stepped up and was asked - by Tom Rossi himself, I think - "Yeah, whaddayaneed?!"
                    I LOVED IT!
                    Just this past week, my friend and I went to the Iwilei Home Depot, where in front is a Chicago Hot Dog stand. I'm not sure if the worker at the time represents Chicago, but he sure had attitude. Definately some kind of East Coast accent. When my friend asked for a bag, the guy practically threw it at him.

You think I ordered anything after him? Hell no.

That (rather small) Chicago dog by itself set him back $3.75, and after eating it, he resented every neighboring "$1.50 Polish Hot Dog with Drink from Costco" thought of it.
                    Last edited by Pomai; August 5, 2006, 11:32 AM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

after eating it, he resented every neighboring "$1.50 Polish Hot Dog with Drink from Costco" thought of it.
                      translation, please?

Comment

"I wish I hadn't spent so much on a crappy hot dog, when I could have gone Costco and gotten the $1.50 meal deal..."

Comment

Wow - your experience was definitely different from mine.

I guess I didn't make it clear that Mr. Rossi was not angry, or mean or anything -- in fact, even though the "Whaddayaneed" sounded a bit abrupt, he was smiling. Happy eyes, smiling face, etc., even though they were slammed.

Maybe the term I'm looking for is, wisecracking attitude? Anyway, it was a positive, not a negative. I certainly didn't get anything thrown at me, except of course, a fun experience that has brought me back to the place repeatedly -- even though they're much less "East Coast" now.
                          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Bang for the Buck?

Maybe next time, that stand will have one of them "juicy" types Scrivener mentioned working at The CompUSA cart. They could probably sell hot dogs to heart surgeons. lol
                            Last edited by Pomai; August 5, 2006, 12:07 PM.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

guess I didn't make it clear that Mr. Rossi was not angry, or mean or anything -- in fact, even though the "Whaddayaneed" sounded a bit abrupt, he was smiling. Happy eyes, smiling face.
                              I too love attitude with good character behind it, as you mentioned. Dig it.

Hopefully you were treated as nice as any Joe Shmoe, and not just because they knew you were a newspaper reporter. Or did they?

Still, I do have major sympathy for those who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry. My girlfriend is one of them. It's hard, hard work and there WILL be some bad days that go along with the good.

Back to the dogs...
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

Bear in mind that not all hotdogs sold in NY are New York Hotdogs.

Plenty of junk there, too...Oscar Meyer, Ball Park, etc.

I guess I am talking NY deli-style hotdogs. The main brands are Sabrett (sold by street vendors under a yellow and blue umbrella) and Boar's Head. Nathan's, natural casing only.

And I guess it just comes down to what you ate when you were growing up. Becomes the favorite, most times.
                                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 5, 2006, 01:07 PM. Reason: grievous error pointed out by another forum member

Comment

Working...
                                X