Boot Camp: Macs do Windows, Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boot Camp: Macs do Windows, Too

Well just like being a minority on this board, I am persecuted by the majority who use the dominant platform. However in this case being in the Mac minority is a good thing because I am not subjected to the infamous malware Windows users are exposed to. Of course anyone on a Mac who wants to use Windows will have to take all of the precautions that regular Windows users have to take in regards to preventing infection from all the nasty things that plague that platform.

5 Things You Need To Know Before Running Windows XP

Macs are no longer the "malware-free" computer they once were. While OS X remains untouched by any substantial malware threat, anyone using any form of Windows on their Mac - including through Boot Camp - is vulnerable to malicious software ("malware") attack.
    I am sure this stuff is well known among Windows users.
    Last edited by mel; April 21, 2006, 04:02 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

Well just like being a minority on this board, I am persecuted by the majority who use the dominant platform.
      Interesting word selection, being that his original post stated the following:
      "Well just like being a minority on this board, I am prosecuted by the majority who use the dominant platform."
      Persecution complex confirmed. Although, it appears to be a self-imposed and self-pitying "Woe is me" one at that. I'm just trying to find valid reasons to excuse and overlook his callous and crybaby behavior, at least towards myself.

Moving on...

Comment

And I thought you had moved on a while back in this topic.

The meaness continues.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Let's keep personal snipes out of this, guys. And, for that matter, let's not once again fall into the trap of yet another Mac v. PC debate. It's pointless to make broad generalizations about the usersof any platform. (I'm neither retired nor wealthy and only wish I'd qualify as artsy-fartsy!) Stick to the technology. That's what this forum is for.

Comment

An interesting parallel: Many of you are too young to remember IBM's attempt to retain its DOS marketshare by working with Microsoft and Windows to create "OS/2". This allowed you to have both DOS and Windows (sorta) on the same platform. The whole thing bombed big time, and IBM is no longer in the PC business (sold that line of business off to Lenovo) and who uses DOS anymore. Willl history repeat itself? Only time will tell.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm wary of the same. Lots of people figure the math goes like this: Mac OSX plus Microsoft Windows equals Microsoft Windows.

In addition to the basic corporate survival side, the jury's still out on whether easy one-device side-by-side comparisons of the operating systems will help or hurt Apple. As a fan of OSX, I'd like to think most Windows users trying OSX for the first time will like it... but I can see folks just as easily going, "Ooh, pretty... but nothing special," and write it off for good.

Even though for many technological reasons, a good case can be made for the value of OSX, a lot of people shop on the basis of, "Oooh, pretty" -- both for and against the trait, mind you. People love the iPod for its industrial design and interface, and people hate it for those very same reasons!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                An interesting parallel: Many of you are too young to remember IBM's attempt to retain its DOS marketshare by working with Microsoft and Windows to create "OS/2". This allowed you to have both DOS and Windows (sorta) on the same platform.
                My sister's first Pentium PC was an IBM desktop of some sort and at the time she had that hardware it ran DOS, Windows 3.1 and OS/2. I used that computer a few times and I liked OS/2. It is too bad that OS failed in the marketplace, though there still are some diehards who still use it.

As for Macintosh dual booting, the Mac has had that capability off and on for many years. Some models allowed you to boot into older and new versions of Mac OS, whether it was System 6 or System 7. Later ones allowed dual booting into OS 9 and OSX. Some models allowed the BeOS to be booted. Apple sold Macs that had DOS card options, which allowed DOS and Windows booting.

The Windows and other PC OS's being able to boot on the Mac Intel hardware is the latest in the history of Mac dual booting.

It remains to be seen whether or not having Windows run on Mac hardware will hurt the OSX platform. My hope is not because as far as Mac OS's go, OSX is the best produced from Apple so far.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ah, DOS cards. I remember those. And OS/2. We had at least one OS/2 machine when I was at UH -- that was years ago, but even then it was weird to still have it around.

I think dual booting was probably also common for PCs, especially among Linux geeks, and I remember messing with "Classic" versus OSX on Macs which was a kind of dual boot situation as well.

The "Mac hardware supporting Windows" is interesting because the reverse seems pretty unlikely -- at least not without a lot of fighting and litigation by Apple. But as long as Mac users are buying retail copies of Windows to install on their Macs, I don't think Microsoft is worried... more Windows-capable hardware sales means more Windows sales, after all. Microsoft is not dependent on hardware sales for survival.

Since OSX does run on Intel chips, though, a Hail Mary/Armageddon scenario for Apple wherein OSX is separately licensed for third-party hardware isn't quite as an impossible thought as it used to be. Hell will probably freeze over first, sure, but... I'm sure folks said the same thing about shifting to Intel chips!

Comment

Personally I think Bootcamp will be a flop simply because Mac users don't use XP because of the issue of Malware and hijack attempts. By installing Windows XP on a Mac is doing everything a Mac user is attempting to avoid and that's to stay away from the pitfalls of Windows.

It's like inviting the terrorists to come to a Christian home and expecting them not to kill the infidels. Putting XP on a Mac is inviting exactly that and I would suspect a hacker would love the opportunity to hack a Mac or at least down it.

There's nothing more sad than to see the look of a Mac user whose $2000+ G5 is down because he installed the evil XP on his system and got hit with everything he was trying to avoid when he paid the bucks for a Mac. How sad.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 21, 2006, 09:27 AM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If Squishie hadn't moved forward with development of Windoze, I think Mac would have a much wider market penetration than it does today. DOS was the bane of most fat-fingered PC users like me and when Windows arrived (and after having experienced the Apple version of GUI), it was more like a godsend: "Oooh, now I can just point and click at a picture to get somewhere instead of doing that stupid DOS command stuff."

Today I can use UNIX commands when required to, but my own personal preference is to just be able to point and click. I'm not a code cruncher or a true purist geek. To me the computer (whether it be Mac or PC) is a tool to help me do something, nothing more, nothing less. Each has a space in the electronic world, and thank god we have that choice!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey hey hey don't use God and Squishie in the same post...remember as Bill Gates once said: There will only be one...almost prophetic to me
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Robert Cringely writes that Apple should roll out native Windows API support in the next OS X kernel update. After all, Apple and Microsoft had a cross-licensing agreement from 1997-2002, and Cringely suspects that during that time they had access to all the WinXP API code. So it's probably doable.

Comment

Just read a couple of good analyses of the Boot Camp development at the Daring Fireball blog:

Windows: The New Classic

Several Asinine and/or Risky Ideas Regarding Apple’s Strategy That Boot Camp Does Not Portend

The second article goes in depth on the "Apple makes money on hardware" angle, and how Boot Camp or running Windows on Apple hardware is more likely Apple setting sights on the high-end hardware market (i.e. Dell buying Alienware vs. eMachines cheapies) than on Microsoft (who generally benefits from the development).

Comment

Working...
                            X