This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on clicking 'preview' , all is gone, too often

For what ever reason, and certainly for not the first time in these threads an entire writing session on clicking 'preview' turns into an 'error-report' deletion sequence, all is gone.

Comment

connect military bases... just in case

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
      Author: Ryan

This question is a classic, a staple of joke lists, and most recently the ponderable punch line of a national Volkswagen television ad. Unfortunately, the answer isn't nearly as funny as the question.

There are three major interstate highways in Hawaii, creatively named H-1, H-2, and H-3, and a little-known fourth, H-201. They are called "interstates" because they are all part of the national network of interstate highways — technically the The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and National Defense Highways — and were built with the same funds and built to generally the same specifications.
      H-1 is 27.1 miles long and runs from Makakilo at Farrington Highway (Hawaii State Route 93) to Kahala at Kalanianaole Highway (Hawaii State Route 72).

H-2 is 8.3 miles long and runs from Pearl City to Wahiawa at Wilikina Drive (Hawaii State Route 99) — near Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Army Airfield.

H-3 is 15.3 miles long and runs from Pearl Harbor to the main gate for Marine Corps Base Hawaii in Kaneohe.

H-201 is 4.1 miles long and runs from H-1 near Aiea to H-1 entering urban Honolulu. Often described as Hawaii's "secret interstate," a great deal of information on this loop can be found here at roadgeek site Kurumi.com.

As you might have inferred from the official name of this highway network, the prevalence of military facilities located at the ends is no coincidence. While these roads are used primarily by civilians, the idea was to have a uniform, efficient network of high-speed roads to connect military bases... just in case. So, for example, hills and dips along most interstate highways aren't supposed to get too steep, curves aren't supposed to get too sharp, onramps and offramps are usually above or below the highway (allowing easier control of access), and so on.

It bears noting that H-3 is the most expensive interstate highway ever built, at a cost of over $1.5 billion ($100 million per mile). It had many critics, and quite of few of them pointed out how little it was needed by island residents. Of course, it wasn't being built for them: as noted above, it was built to connect the Marine Corps base to the U.S. Navy port at Pearl Harbor.

There is a great deal of trivia associated with the interstate highway system, and not surprisingly, Hawaii's entries are oddities. Interstate H-201, the "secret interstate," broke all sorts of rules. Other examples? In the national freeway system, even numbers (I-4 in Florida) are for highways which are primarily east-west routes, and odd numbers (I-97 in Maryland) are for highways which are primarily north-south. All Hawaii interstates run counter to this "rule." Other exceptions include the fact that H-1 has many at-grade (not raised or lowered) onramps and offramps, has ramps that do interfere with the flow of through traffic, and has ramps closer than one mile apart, all much to the chagrin of daily communters.

(all above from) www.hawaiianswers.com/index.php?page=index_v2&id=26&c=19

Two things that define US Military above most all else: to provide a sense of securUSy through redundancy, and, to provide such a sense of securUSy what ever the cost$, especially when others are paying.

H-4 would be just another layer of redundancy for US Military... a "just in case" some speedier interisland delivery of munitions, personnel, missile fuels or any militarUSt thing is requested for empire maintenance activities that Young Brothers, Matson or available militarUSt forcUS cannot perform in a time frame mandated by unexpected events, paranoias and/or just militarUSt whims and passions.
      Last edited by waioli kai; April 9, 2005, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 2

Residents want superferry,survey says
        Allison Schaefers, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Tuesday, April 26, 2005
        Most state residents support an interisland ferry service and the use of state funding for harbor improvements, according to a new survey commissioned by Hawaii Superferry Inc. The telephone survey, conducted this month by Honolulu firm Market Trends Pacific, found that 86 percent of participants said they want high-speed ferry service. As many as 87 percent also approve the use of state funds for harbor improvements to accommodate the planned Hawaii Superferry.
        I got called for this survey! Sadly, it was another "push poll," like the one I got for Dalton Tanonaka. Which is to say, it started off sounding like a poll, but by the middle of it the pollster was reading, literally, paragraphsof text written by Hawaii SuperFerry, extolling its virtues and specifically countering the criticisms its received.

Mind you, I was very pro ferry, anyway, but when the pollster asked for a degree of concern for the environment, I made the mistake of saying "some concern" (since I was, after all, a Sierra Club and Nature Conservancy member). That was a trigger, and she proceeded to hard sell me on it. I put the phone down, went to get a drink, came back, and she was still telling me about how the environment would not be adversely impacted.

"Given this new information, do you stillhave concerns about the ferry's impact on the island environment?"

"Er, no."

Mission accomplished, I guess, and another "pro" vote for their skewed survey statistics.

A pity this company is bumbling along like this. The ferry should sell itself, but poor planning and iffy marketing practices are really rubbing some folks the wrong way.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 2

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=3429

Lawmakers have $40M for ferry in budget
          The $8.9 billion state budget is finalized
          Associated Press

State lawmakers completed work late last night finalizing figures in the state’s two-year budget — including $40 million to help fund an interisland ferry system.

Conference committee members passed the budget after going through the massive document line by line.

The finished $8.9 billion budget is key to figuring out what else can be done this session. Pushing toward the final few weeks of the session, lawmakers have held off decision making on a number of bills, awaiting word on the amount of money they will have to work with.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
          X