Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

To what are you agreeing? Do you realize that I was clarifying my statements, to which you attached the word "attack"? Or did you just read what you wanted to read?

No matter. Language will always evolve. And as long as people keep speaking to their children in the manner which they see fit, keep making (and purchasing) media that reflects their linguistic and cultural color, people can look down all they like. It will continue. Even by those educated enough to know the difference.

But in this I will agree with you. ASE should be a communication skill everyone in this country endeavors to acquire, particularly sound writing skills.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      people who speak like rednecks, hillbillies, or ghetto people are looked down upon.
      I've seen that. I have a number of friends who were raised in the continental southeast, who have made a distinct effort to bury or altogether lose their Southern accents, in order to avoid being looked upon as uneducated. Fortunately, they changed their minds eventually, and were proud of who they were and where they were raised, and would not let the stereotypical judgement of others affect them so.

And I am impressed with what you wrote. You have shown that a pidgin speaker can also write eloquently in standard english.
      Oooh...now that sounds a bit condescending..."not bad, for one of your kind."

Comment

And I am impressed with what you wrote. You have shown that a pidgin speaker can also write eloquently in standard english. However I personally know several people who can only speak pidgin and barely even write.
        Mahalo for the compliment, but don't you also know others who can speak both? Pidgin crosses all ethnic and socio-economic lines. It conveys love, humor, sorrow and anger beautifully. And algebra. When one is perplexed, explaining through pidgin can be the perfect antidote for throwing a computer out the window...or into a filled bathtub. When sharing a highball with an old grandfather, it is the nicest form of expression to share how grateful one is to having that moment left with a loved one in his twilight.

Pidgin deserves its place in Hawai'i. I enjoy it as the lingua franca of these isles and use it daily.

pax

Comment

I personally know several people who can only speak pidgin and barely even write.
          I know dozens of those. and many of the reverse too. And the last thing I would judge them on is this.

Comment

North Carolina has a couple of dialects that could rival the thickest Hawaiian pidgin.

Here's a page of quicktime sound clips for both the Lumbie dialect and the Ockracoke 'Hoi Toid' brogue:

http://www.uga.edu/lsava/Wolfram/Wolfram.html

<edit>

I think the N.C. Outer Bank Islanders have alot in common with the way they feel about their dialect as do Hawaiian Islanders feel about pidgin:

http://www.ncsu.edu/linguistics/code...itoidebook.htm

There is also a cultural reason for preserving the brogue. As we said before, language is culture, and to lose a language is to lose a culture. This fact is often recognized when it comes to entire languages, but not generally acknowledged when it comes to dialects. Even islanders don't immediately think about dialect when they think of the Ocracoke way of life. Just about everyone we talked to in Ocracoke said that islanders are first and foremost identified by being island born and bred, not by being speakers of the brogue. As one islander put it, "An O'cocker, a native, is somebody that's lived here; born here, their family's born here." Most people don't point to the brogue as the ultimate mark of an islander. Candy Gaskill, who seems to be a good barometer for the feelings of islanders, said it well.

It's not the brogue that's home; it's the people and the warmth, you know, the love and the community, the togetherness and stuff. I mean, I don't really think it's the brogue or the dialect, I think it's more the people that makes it.
            Last edited by Peshkwe; August 8, 2006, 02:21 PM.

Comment

"Wot? I owe you money?"

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

"Wot? I owe you money?"
                Eh, no get futless.

Ahaha wop ya jaws.

Comment

Getting back on track:

You SABE (sa-bay)? - "understand" or "know"

Heard this from a lot of older Filipino gentlemen retired from the plantation.

Comment

Wat kine dis?
                    Eh blah, who you think you? High muckamucka or something?
                    Ainokea wat you stay say, we going go!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I always thought it was tantaran. As in "look him, acting all tantaran". But someone else told me it's tarantaran .

Also, it wasn't until intermediate that I learned that one gets an ankle sprain, not a sprang ankle.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        I always thought it was tantaran. As in "look him, acting all tantaran". But someone else told me it's tarantaran .

Also, it wasn't until intermediate that I learned that one gets an ankle sprain, not a sprang ankle.
                        It's Tarantaran and it when you act big. Sometimes associated with making big body.

And I say it: High Maka maka as in higher in the social class or as we would say: Oh wow you Kaisa (because the rich kids came from Hawaii Kai built by Henry J. Kaiser), when flashing the bucks.

Anyone remember "Totung" as in corrugated roofing? One year I had to buy some from Kilgo's and I told the Filipina gal working there I needed five sheets of Totung. She said in her Filipina accent, "Two Tons?...of what?" I told her, "No Totung sheets". Her response: We don't sell two-ton sheets of anything"

So I say, "Corrugated sheet metal" and she got it.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"Owee-owee"
                          what you say before you take a piss outside for apologize to whateva spirits get in the area

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            Is the HOLO HOLO "slippa" factory still in existence? Their brand was sold at the Slipper Shop in Ala Moana Center.

Often used to get the KAKA ROACH!
                            Holo Holo Slippers went out a long time ago (before I was born I think, I'm 29) when my grandparents sold the company and factory. The factory is still there just off Nimitz Hwy before Chinatown, but I don't know what it's used for now. Glad you got some good whacking out of those slippahs!
                            Last edited by MrBobHarrisSan; May 23, 2008, 10:24 AM. Reason: Forgot the quote, oops

Comment

Originally posted by MrBobHarrisSan View Post
                              Holo Holo Slippers went out a long time ago (before I was born I think, I'm 29) when my grandparents sold the company and factory. The factory is still there just off Nimitz Hwy before Chinatown, but I don't know what it's used for now. Glad you got some good whacking out of those slippahs!
                              Wow, I forgot about this thread...

MrBob, did you find this thread/HT while googling "holo holo slippers"? I love when serendipitous stuff like this happens.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                                Wow, I forgot about this thread...

MrBob, did you find this thread/HT while googling "holo holo slippers"? I love when serendipitous stuff like this happens.
                                Looks like I forgot about this thread too... Been running back and forth between Big Island Kauai and Oahu lately. Finally caught my breath a little.

Yes, I indeed found this wonderful site by googling (gotta love ever evolving English) "holo holo slippers". Been trying to find out more about family history and came across this site. Definitely serendipitous.

Comment

Working...
                                X