Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

I tip 20% almost all the time (for a sit-down meal). If the service is sub-par, maybe 15%, because everybody can have an off day sometimes. If I go back and the same server is bad again, I just remember to get a different server the next time.
    And I try to always treat servers with respect.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      I doubt this was done out of Racism, but more out of racial "profiling"..there is a difference...I think because tipping is not a cultural custom in Japan, so perhaps some Japanese tourists do not know they are supposed to leave a tip.
      Didn't say it was racially motivated, but the restaurant did get into trouble for the "profiling", lilke you mentioned. At that time, they were only charging Japanese tourists the gratuity fee on the meal check. If memory serves me correctly, they also tried to catch Canadian and Australian tourists as well. At the time, it was known that one of the two is not accustomed to tipping and the other tips "light".

I be talking about something that took place almost 20 years ago so my details may be skewed a bit, but the jist of the situation is correct.

Btw, I used to work at an espresso bar so I kind of understand what Tikiyaki is talking about. I had my regulars for breakfast and lunch and I'd start getting their orders going when I'd see them walk in. Jon DeMello was one of my regulars for his vanilla shake. For some reason, he liked how I did it. He never ordered it when someone else was working. Some regulars also liked only how I would steam their eggs or toast and butter their croissants or how I foamed milk for their lattes. They'd come in only when I was on board. Regulars are funny like that and I loved'em all.

Comment

In my younger days, I used to work at a restaurant, and also as a cabbie, so I appreciate tips and generally tip very well ... 20% and more for satisfactory and exceptional service, 15% and less if less than satisfactory. But I do agree that the concept of tipping seems a bit out of whack. It really doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

Now, in my younger younger days (just entering high school), we were really bad boys. When we were given bad service, leaving nothing meant nothing. There's no revenge in that. So we left a penny. But we left it in a filled water glass, over which we then placed a sheet of sturdy paper snuggly over the top, flipped the glass over, placed it firmly on the table, then pulled the sheet of paper out from under, much as an impressario would pull a tablecloth from under a table setting. The result: an upside-down water glass filled with water and a penny down below on the surface of the table. The only way to retreive the penny would be to lift the glass, releasing the water all over the table.

We were very very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          LOL...I'll answer that.
          If you're a regular at a particular Starbucks and order the same drink ...meaning everyday or twice a day even...the people working there are supposed to learn your drink (Starbucks teaches them this)

Once I don't have to order my drink anymore, and they automatically start making it, THAT'S when I tip. Not always, but if they start making it for me when I walk thru the door, I feel like they've gone above and beyond, and throwing some money in the tip jar is a "nice" thing to do.
          I don't drink the same thing all the time at Starbucks and finally one nice young man admitted to me that I mess them up when I change my drink. I kind of don't like it when they start making it before I order because if that's not what I was going to order this time but they've already made it, I usually just get it anyway even if that's not what I wanted to drink. But a few of the baristas are really friendly and service oriented so I tip those people.

Comment

I start at 20% and go up or down from there. Two things that annoy me most are carelessly prepared food and a water glass that sits empty for too long. Hello, Sanoya Ramen! Are you listening?

If I'm eating somewhere especially inexpensive and my check comes out to, say, seven bucks, I'll leave two dollars, which is a bit more than 20%.

If it's the Christmas season, I'll leave a bit more. If someone else picks up the check, I'll leave even more.

It's just a couple of bucks. If I've got it, I don't mind sharing it.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server.
              Even if you're willing to tip them a bunch of $100 bills?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

When I worked in food service I used to tip more, but now I'm not so rich so I base it on 15%.

Working in many kinds of bars and restaurants, I've seen some weird stuff, I wouldnt doubt that stuff like what happened in Waiting happens in real life. (awesome movie, btw). Also "A double cheese burger, its for a cop"... "Dont spit in it" =p

BTW, when you have a large party and they add gratuity, how much do they usually set the % at? I was at Stuart Andersons recently and for a party of 10 they set the gratuity at 18%.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

For me I use the 50/50 tip. That's 50% under $50. The reason is because of the fact that many servers are minimum wage and rely on tips. The lower the cost of the meal the lower their tips so I use a weighted amount towards the lower end to offset manini tips on small orders.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Youre the one who does $50/50... Where were you when I was a waiter/bartender/cocktail server? =p
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

How about places where you wouldn't normally leave a tip (like a fast food place) but their credit card machines automatically put a tip line? What's a person to do? You can leave it blank and wonder if a crooked worker will fill it in with something nice. Or you can put a line through it and explicitly say "I'm a jerk". Or you can give them a tip you wouldn't have given them otherwise... Heck, they might not even get those tips, it's just a badly programmed card machine.

I've come around to taking cash to those places and throwing the metal change in their tip jar. It's funny how people will think it's cool if you do that, but they get mad at you for rounding up your credit card receipt $.10 to the next dollar.

I've seen the opposite too: tip jar and no tip line on the credit card receipt.

Best I've ever seen, IIRC the 7-11 by UT Austin had a tip jar!

Comment

Speaking of tip jars at fast food places, I always feel like a cheapskate whenever I drop my coins of change (usually less than 50 cents) in the tip can from that Subway sandwich combo purchase I just paid for.

The dime, nickel and pennies seem to echo so loudly as they make contact with the bottom of the can, as the cashier and other staff on hand almost sarcastically smile at you in a semi-gesture of gratitude.

I usually pay with cash, and even on credit card, I still prefer tipping with cash. WIth that, I always try to keep a 20 broken in ten, five and ones in my wallet so I can readily tip accordingly without having to ask for change. I like being able to say, "It's all taken care of" and just leave.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          Youre the one who does $50/50... Where were you when I was a waiter/bartender/cocktail server? =p
                          Where was craigwatanabe when I was a Mickey-D's server?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            ... when I was a Mickey-D's server?
                            McD's had "servers?" Like, who come to your table and take your order to the kitchen and all that - wait-staff? I don't think even cw was tipping 50% to the staff at the counter of a fast-feeder, generous though he may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              McD's had "servers?" Like, who come to your table and take your order to the kitchen and all that.....

Some smaller MCD's will offer to bring your order to you unless YOU prefer waiting at the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                                Some smaller MCD's will offer to bring your order to you unless YOU prefer waiting at the counter.
                                The one in Kailua town used to do that before the first major remodeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X