Surviving on Christmas goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving on Christmas goodies

Normally during Christmas co-workers would stop by and leave Christmas goodies and this year is no exception.

So far I got:

a bag of cookies (to be honest this was before Christmas)
    a box of Hawaiian Host candies
    candy cane with a cookie
    Handi-snacks pudding cup

With another day to go before Christmas I suspect I might either get candy or cookies from other co-workers.

My initial reason for starting this thread is how come people don't give meat for Christmas like a stick of beef jerky or something like that? My worse fear is that there is some disaster, I get stuck at the office and all I have to munch on is cookies and candies. Or the case of this year a pudding cup.

Which also brings another question that people may want to answer if they feel that the meat for Christmas present doesn't suit them. The question is, Is it okay to eat the Chirstmas goodies now or does one have to wait until after Chirstmas to eat them?

Re: Surviving on Christmas goodies

Originally posted by helen View Post
    The question is, Is it okay to eat the Chirstmas goodies now or does one have to wait until after Chirstmas to eat them?
    As one who often gives gifts of food, I say - don't wait; if I give food, I anticipate that it will be opened and eaten anytime, likely before Christmas, or even served up at a holiday party. Enjoy, Helen, enjoy!

Comment

I've been getting goodie baskets left and right from clients and pharmaceutical reps for the past two weeks...but I'm lucky because not all of them are sweets. --most of them scream Wholesale Unlimited, so I have the usual arare and ika as well.

To be honest, I'd totally prefer a beef jerky or Slim Jim package. I love beef jerky even though there are so many things bad for you in it...but I won't feel as guilty eating it because I imagine one can't gain as much weight eating beef jerky as opposed to sweets!

These things usually last me well into January. Sometimes i feel guilty opening the basket up because the packaging looks so pretty!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

giving meat in styrofoam coolers to special loved ones is a xmas tradition around these parts. Homemade Portuguese sausage, smoke meat, soup bone/brisket/roast from a homegrown animal are among the most treasured gifts I have ever given/recieved (we give cow, we get pig).

My mother-in-law always taped an xmas card to a 20lb bag of rice and dropped those off in the garages of her loved ones.

Cannot go wrong with food.

pax

Comment

Helen...

If the box of hawaiian host doesn't suit you, feel free to send it my way
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

The people who are getting the guava crisp bars and tropical fruit bars that I just finished baking will not only be able to survive on those, but they will actually be a little healthier. I put lots of oatmeal, shredded coconut and mac nuts in those things (OK, so that gets cancelled out by all the butter I added, too )

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why not eat them before?
              I bake Banana Bread, Sugar cookies, Snickerdoodles, Chocolate Chip cookies, Chocolate peanut Butter cookies, Rice Crispy treats and zuchinni bread too...I make a huge platter and send it to work with my husband the last 3 days every day before Christmas.
              Every morning by 9am it's gone.
              If you wait doesn't it get stale?

If I give cookies and they set for a few days I would think someone did not like them. That's just me though.
              I also takes bags of cookies and breads to my neighbors homes and drop them off. We did that lastnight.

I guess I always think that it is the homeade gift that people like so I would not add meat because they can buy it. But I am sure jerky and other meats are good.

I buy nuts and jerky for my brother in law.
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I think people are afraid of giving meats to people they don't know well or to whole groups of people to share because they aren't sure if people are vegetarian or not.

Recently I was at an Xmas party. I happened to win a couple of contests, and one of the prizes happened to be some of those beef logs. I luckily was able to trade it with somebody else who received a collection of hot sauces.

Comment

mmMMM summer sausage
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                    I think people are afraid of giving meats to people they don't know well or to whole groups of people to share because they aren't sure if people are vegetarian or not.

Recently I was at an Xmas party. I happened to win a couple of contests, and one of the prizes happened to be some of those beef logs. I luckily was able to trade it with somebody else who received a collection of hot sauces.

I would imagine getting meat for Christmas as a Vegetarian would be like everyone else getting rocks or coal

I'm a carnivore but I like to tell my veggie friends that I'm a part time vegetarian
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm vegephobic. Don't tell my doc.

Comment

I can always tell when I'm going too easy on my students: The number of Christmas gifts I get goes down. It's in the years when I'm extra tough that I get the really good loot. One of my former students was famous for giving Safeway gift certificates with values that varied inversely as his grade in each class. Because I was his English teacher and he was (*sigh*) failing my course, I got fifty bucks. Other teachers got twenty-five, twenty, and ten.

Most of the loot is in the form of goodies, which I confess I normally leave on the round table in the faculty lounge. For those unfamiliar with the faculty lounge, the usual rule is that anything left on the big table is fair game (so be careful what you leave there!). What I find hilarious is that no matter WHAT it is you leave there, someone will eventually eat it. On those rare occasions that something sits there for more than a couple of days, I'll take the stuff out to the lunch area after school and I know I'll be able to give it away to the students waiting for buses.

This year I got a few things that won't make it to the lounge. One student gave me his mom's home-made Kahlua-Vodka bread. Oh yeah, baby. Everything else (that's edible) will probably go to the lounge, except for the large plastic jug of local snacks. I keep the jug.

As for surviving on this stuff, I shudder at the thought, but sure, it could be done. I think gifts of dehydrated meats, veggies, and fruits would be great, actually. I may have to think about that for next year.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The last time I got one of those summer sausage/cheese gift packs from a vendor, I fed the sausage to the seagulls and crows down at the beach (yes, they eat meat...hell, they'll eat anything).

I remember in the bad old days when business people expensed their 3 martini lunches that one Christmas a vendor gave me a tin of cookies while he gave my male counterparts bottles of booze (Wild Turkey bourbon, as I recall). I objected and told him it wasn't fair that I only got cookies while the guys got the booze, so he wound up giving me a fifth of Wild Turkey too (and I got to keep the cookies)!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

lol a pudding cup!?! Well, I guess I can imagine worse things than a pudding cup. I just never thought of giving people pudding cups.

We just got our gift from our relatives out in WV bright and early this morning - usually they just throw in like a big bag of peanuts and whatever else they can fit into a flat rate box. This year we got meat and cheese (ala Hickory Farms). It's a good thing the cheese comes vacuum wrapped cuz it was much softer than I think it is supposed to be. So, I guess we got meat for xmas!

My husband's mom made us fudge, which, by the way, if you want to ship it across a large body of water, you probably should put it in a tupperware tub or something with a locking lid (it was all over the gifts, but it still tasted good!).

For my husband's coworkers, I made some nuts coated in sugar and egg whites and more sugar that I thought were really really good (mostly cuz I ate half a batch). And some cranberry/mac nut bark and I ventured out and made homemade caramels, which were amazingly easy and I feel like a dork for not doing it sooner (not to mention they were amazingly GOOD omg). They were all consumed the day they got 'em and I think that's the way it's supposed to be. Or, at least you keep 'em at your desk to munch on throughout the holidays...and into January if they last that long.

For my dad, I got him that gift package from Costco with the dried ika and other fishies. He loves that stuff and can't get it at home. Mom gets mad when he eats it because he gets it all over the floor ("he eats it like an old man" mom says ). I got some marlin jerky or something for my brother that I found at walmart randomly while walking to the xmas stuff.

In our neighborhood, lots of homemade goods would get passed around, like quickbreads, pickled veggies or eggs, jams, homemade seasonings, etc and outside of the breads, the gifts would almost last all year long. We lived out in the country, but no one had any real livestock, so we never got meat. Though one year I think we got dried fish.

Comment

I did give a co-worker a smoked turkey once but that would not have helped her if she was stuck in the office since it was frozen (a Harry and David's one). *g*

Comment

Working...
                              X