New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

The new Lenny Kravitz and Jack Johnson albums come out on Tuesday. Still pondering on whether or not I should go for the Kravitz, although the bonus DVD in some editions have some nice extras.

Jill Scott has a live CD coming out too, so I look forward to that. I also anxiously await the big Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 box set. Let's hope he doesn't delay it yet again.

As for what I've been listening as of late, new music from Power Struggle, Cire Mayo, Y-Love, and a 2CD collection of airport sounds called Airport Symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I bought Ringo's album today at the iTunes store. Listening to it now. It's a lot lusher than the performances I've seen. The album credits say "produced by Ringo Starr and Mark Hudson" but then "Re-produced by Ringo Starr and Dave Stewart." A quick Google reveals that Starr and Hudson had a falling-out.
      I didn't know about that, and that's too bad since Mark Hudson is a great musician and producer, and also heavily influences by The Beatles, just listen to the old Hudson Brothers records. In fact, they did a song (I believe for Elton John's Rocket label) where it was a mini-opera not unlike side 2 of Abbey Road, right down to the vocal harmonies so... maybe Ringo felt left out.

I will disagree with Linkmeister and say that Ringo is an underrated drummer. Some of what he does on songs such as "Obla Di Obla Da," for example, reveal at least a thinking drummer who knows what he's doing.
      He gets a lot of flack just because he's Ringo, but he is an incredible (and consistent drummer). "I Am The Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Drive My Car", and also check out all of the session work he did in the early 70's, especially with Howlin' Wolf and BB King. People may have hired him for his status, but he could do the job very well.

Comment

If we focus our energies in this thread to music released in 2008 (and relevant comments, of course!)
        Specifically released in 2008, and not just acquired in 2008 (even if released in late 2007?) Then I will say I was pleased to see the new three-disc set of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack by Vangelis, released to coincide with the multi-disc DVD re-issues of the film. (Yes, this counts, as it has brand-new material in addition to the soundtrack and other older bonus tracks.)

Next to pick up: "Day Trip" from the Pat Metheny Trio and Philip Glass's score for "Cassandra's Dream."

Comment

Sheryl Crowe's new Detours is awesome
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

That's not supposed to be out until Tuesday. Did you get an advance copy?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's not supposed to be out until Tuesday. Did you get an advance copy?
              sHHHHHHHHH......... http://rapidshare.com/files/87825648/DetShe.rar
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

For those who still like to buy regular CDs, BestBuy has the following new releases on sale for $9.99 this week starting on Tuesday:

Sheryl Crow - Detours - $9.99
                Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static - $9.99
                Lenny Kravitz - It's Time for a Love Revolution - $9.99

The $9.99 discounts apply to single CD new releases for the first week only. After this coming Saturday the prices get jacked up to the usual $14.99, though at times during the year, some of the current albums are put back on discount again. You just have to check the weekly BestBuy ad every Sunday.

I'll probably get the Sheryl Crow and Jack Johnson.
                I already own the Jack Johnson single "If I Had Eyes" that was released before the album in December. Bought it from Amazon.com.

I would consider a late December release as part of the new releases for 2008. That Radiohead album comes to mind as the regular CD version and iTunes came out on Dec. 28. Most critics and people who keep track of these things will consider this album a 2008 release.

If you look at the Grammy Awards, some of the music being honored for this year actually came out in 2005 or 2006.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: New Music 2008: What I am gonna get

Don't have the final scoops, but both Sudden Rush and Tricky should be putting out CDs this year.

pax

Comment

OK, this is kinda "Jukebox". Spotted a DVD with the Buddy Holly Story and La Bamba (Two stories, one tragic ending) on sale at Safeway $6. Couldn't pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      If you look at the Grammy Awards, some of the music being honored for this year actually came out in 2005 or 2006.
                      Which ones are those, Mel?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Which ones are those, Mel?
                        Nominee for song of the year.

Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's - released on CD January 25, 2005.

Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's
                        single release - May 9, 2006.

It seems like this song was just under the radar for 2 years before it became a hit last year. The iTunes track of the single says Copyright 2005 Fearless Records.

So what if the track was re-released on another record label in 2007? It is still the same song. The hit, everyone knows it. Someone at Hollywood Records probably pulled strings on this one.

----------------------

Nominee Best New Artist

Feist? - hmmm... she's been around at least since 2004. I bought a single by her called "One Evening" that year. Sure she is big stuff in 2007 with her hit "1 2 3 4"..... but still... a new artist?

----------------------

Nominee: Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

U2 - "Windows in the Skies" - released November 21, 2006
                        So I guess late 2006 albums count?

If that is so, late 2007 releases should count in this thread. We will be following industry practice.

----------------------

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

Gwen Stefani with Akon - "The Sweet Escape"
                        Released on CD Dec. 5, 2006.

Certainly older songs being nominated for the 2007 year are not that plentiful but it has occurred. Supposedly they get around this through technicalities such as late release dates for the previous year, or late blooming hits as in the case of Plain White T's and Feist.

Still the bottom line is not all of the songs or artists (that I know of at least) have music specifically released in that year unless re-releases or late popularity figures in.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You're welcome to discuss anything you consider a current release, of course, but I try to stick to the calendar year. Radiohead's album may have been released in late 2007, but it was early enough to be mentioned in Rolling Stone's year-end review, and the deadline for that was somewhere in November, I think. I treat re-releases the way the magazines do, as an entirel different category. Otherwise, some terrific Ryko reissue of a 1980 Elvis Costello album could win record of the year, which wouldn't be right.

I recently purchased (because I thought it was new! grrrr!) an album by Ingrid Michaelson, a purchase I might otherwise have made, but definitely not as eagerly if I'd known that it was really a 2006 release. Honestly, I am at times motivated by an album's currency when I make my purchases. This is why I haven't purchased the Plain White Ts album, despite it's positive buzz. It won't qualify for my year-end list and I sorta set aside a certain amount every month to spend on new stuff and a certain amount to spend on stuff I'm still catching up on, and now that it's in the catching-up-on column, it's WAY down the list!

So back to 2008: In my English class every day, I play a song of the day and get students' feedback. My song of the day today was Ringo's "Liverpool 8," and it received thumbs-up all around the room. That's a first this calendar year.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The current Radiohead album was offered as a free download from the band's website in November as an experiment. However the official commercial release occurred Dec. 28 as previously stated. If this album is as good as some say, I can only bet that it will garner awards for next year's Grammys or AMAs as a 2008 release. Any singles that may chart this calendar year off the album will also be counted as 2008 releases... just like Plain White T's are being counted as a 2007 release. Industry practice.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So here we have iTunes freebie of the week, a power-pop single called "Check Yes Juliet" by a band from Florida named We the Kings. Their debut album came out in Oct. 2007 according to the iTunes website. Until today I never heard of them until I downloaded the free single of the week which according to iTunes was released on Feb. 4, 2008.

I like power pop rock. Added this track to my current favorites playlist.

BTW, anyone know how to grab the URL of an iTunes Store song link?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Nominee for song of the year.
                                Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's - released on CD January 25, 2005.
                                Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's single release - May 9, 2006.

It seems like this song was just under the radar for 2 years before it became a hit last year. The iTunes track of the single says Copyright 2005 Fearless Records. So what if the track was re-released on another record label in 2007? It is still the same song. The hit, everyone knows it. Someone at Hollywood Records probably pulled strings on this one.
                                If Fearless never submitted it for Grammy nomination during its initial release period, Hollywood had every right to do so, once it became their release. For all we know, the deal to transfer the license could have included the stipulation that Fearless not submit it, as one of the many conditions of their purchase - that's not an uncommon practice.
                                ----------------------
                                Nominee Best New Artist
                                Feist? - hmmm... she's been around at least since 2004. I bought a single by her called "One Evening" that year. Sure she is big stuff in 2007 with her hit "1 2 3 4"..... but still... a new artist?
                                "Best New Artist" definition (from The Recording Academy, emphasis mine): For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist.

Yeah, I had heard of her years ago, too, but that's because I follow the Canadian music scene to a degree. "Establishing the public identity" is a pretty vague definition.
                                ----------------------
                                Nominee: Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
                                U2 - "Windows in the Skies" - released November 21, 2006
                                So I guess late 2006 albums count?
                                Yes. The eligibility period is 10/1/06 to 9/30/07. Same as with:
                                Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals
                                Gwen Stefani with Akon - "The Sweet Escape"
                                Released on CD Dec. 5, 2006.
                                If that is so, late 2007 releases should count in this thread. We will be following industry practice.
                                Why? This isn't an "industry" discussion (despite my using "industry" definitions to address the points you brought up). It's scrivener's thread - so it's scrivener's definition.

Comment

Working...
                                X