Metallica's Death Magnetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica's Death Magnetic

Just got a listen to Metallica's album and was pretty impressed. Sounds more like pre-1991 Black Album Metallica , and thus makes me feel like a kid again. Producer Rick Rubin helped take the band back to their roots.

Interesting thing about this album was that on the same day the album was released, the entire set was also available for download and gameplay for Guitar Hero. Unfortunately, I have the Wii version so can't download it, but I thought this was a pretty neat idea. (and way to make more money!)

Re: Metallica's Death Magnetic

Agree.. not bad of an album!

Comment

Hot Topic had a $5 promo sale of this album on Friday only. I bought two (passed one along to someone who couldn't make it out there). Haven't listened to it yet, but I've never been disappointed by Metallica. I thought St. Anger was unfairly panned; it was a very good album and I think twenty years from now it will be the high-water mark of their creativity, even if in the long run the songs just aren't as memorable.

My early impression of the CD art is weak, though.

Hot Topic was also selling cool Metallica tees for $5 in that one-day-only sale. I bought two.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

When was the last time they played in town?

I saw them 3 or 4 times, including one show with Guns N Roses circa 1993.

Aj

Comment

April 1999. Best concert I've ever been to.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

metallica bloody rocks!!!!!

white zombies are even better!!!!
            stay forever young

Comment

I believe you mean White Zombie. Great band, but not better than Metallica, and not even a band anymore.

This was passed along to me by someone in my Twitter stream. It appears that I wasn't alone in my initial impression of the production on Death Magnetic. It seems that the version of the album that's playable on Guitar Hero 3 sounds better than the CD version, according to this and this. The first link reads better, but the second has a visual of the graphic difference as shown in Audacity.

Some unverified source says Metallica was on the road in Europe during the mixing.

edit:
              Oops. I thought I'd posted on HT my initial impression of the album, but it appears I didn't. What I said was that the songs are very good but that the production sounded horribly flat and thin. I'm not an audiophile, so those might not be the right words for what I mean, but everything on this album sounds to me like it's being played on a pane of glass, as if everyone is stacked on top of someone else, rather than spread out in a nice big room.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Saw White Zombie in concert and they were good, this was about 1993-94.

Saw STP and Nirvana on the same lineup once!

Only thing I didnt like about Metallica was saw two shows back to back in the same arena, almost all of the songs and the banter with the crowd seemed scripted from the day before.

When I saw metallica with GNR in Phoenix it was the first show after Hetfield came back from the pyro accident in Canada. They filmed portions of the concert and I'm somewhere in the crowd with my hair down pass my shoulders (back then) in the front row. Faith No More, a band I was a big fan of then, opened the show.

I havent liked metallica's stuff since the Black Album.

Aj

Comment

Just bought the Metallica CD today @ BestBuy. $9.99... certainly not as cheap as the alleged $5 I saw quoted in a post above. Where is this Hot Topic record store? Never heard of it.

I'm just running the album on my $50 Sony boombox @ medium volume. Sounds good. I am sure it will sound better on my big system, but then the neighbors may not like it. And I don't want to blast it in my headphones. Will definitely add to my iTunes later.

So at first listen this sounds like good hard rock n roll to me so far. About 3 songs in.

The packaging for the CD is a bit different in that it uses a die-cut of the casket image that goes 10 pages deep in the 12 page booklet. The text on the left hand facing pages on the same side as the die cut are cut off in some places. The photos on each page I guess fits the theme of Death Magnetic whatever that is... heh... revolves around mostly... death! Smashed car, eyeball, some kind of ultrasound image, suicide, slaughterhouse, etc.

The album is just in time for Halloween.

My only complaint so far. Cracked CD cover that I did not see before buying it!
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hot Topic is located at Ala Moana (not far from Foot Locker and Hallmark, near Sears top floor), think they have one at Pearlridge and one on Maui too. They sell a little bit of everything in that place, but don't expect to find say Mariah Carey's new CD there.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                    X