X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 11

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    When you say "whole peppers," you mean peppercorns, right?

Have you ever heard this, about stirring RUINING the adobo?
    To both questions.

Yes! Especially, the part of not stirring the POT!

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When you get it all simmering, you MUST leave it alone. Don't stir, don't bang the pot with something, don't move the ingredients at all, or else the whole thing will be spoiled. She couldn't explain it, except to say that that's what her mom always said. I demanded some kind of reason, so she said something about agitating the chemicals before they were done doing their thing (which is something we all learned in chemistry classes during certain labs).
      You've heard Alton Brown say it sometimes, Scrivener - just listen to his voice in your head, saying "walk away --- just...walk away."

Or would you rather hear Ms. Ray's voice in your head?

Comment

Polish sauages and a cup of Diet Coke from Costco.

Comment

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 10

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          More live music outdoors today - and yet another sandwich with the AF.
          Yes, there's a lot of this recently. Seattle presents live music in different downtown locations throughout July & August, so we go to several of them. Again, today.

Comment

Tuna Sandwich w/Manoa Lettuce
            Can of Coca-Cola

Dat didn't make me full

So I wen cook Can Sardines in Tomato Sauce with fresh Maui Onions,Tomato, green onions & SPICES!heheheh
            Last edited by 1stwahine; July 31, 2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Lynn, that looks so gross! Although I guess if I was going to have to eat sardines, that's not a bad way to have them.

What, there was no leftover chicken adobo?

My lunch was a snack-size bag of Cheez-Its and a Diet Coke. Vending machine food. Thinking about ramen for dinner tonight, but I work 'til 9:00, so it'll be a late one.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                You've heard Alton Brown say it sometimes, Scrivener - just listen to his voice in your head, saying "walk away --- just...walk away."
                I understand about leaving stuff alone on the grill or in a pan-fry, but we're talking about something that's stewing, something immersed in its cooking liquid. It just doesn't make sense to me that upsetting the ingredients can actually RUIN the food.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If there are sugars in the sauce, at certain temperatures, the slightest movement can cause new crystalline structures to form, then clump and ruin it. Moisture can have the same effect, so sometimes movement will cause condensation to drop into the substance containing the sugars.

Don't know if that applies to Lynn's (or your friend's) adobo, however.

Shirley Corriher's book, "Cookwise" is a fascinating combination of recipes alongside scientific explanations of why foods and ingredients behave the way they do. I think you'd enjoy it, Scrivener.

Comment

Lynn, that looks so gross! Although I guess if I was going to have to eat sardines, that's not a bad way to have them.
                    That type of dish was eaten in the plantation camps long ago because it was cheap and filling and cans of sardines were readily available in the company store. My great-grandma would make it sometimes, but I never touched the stuff.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

What, there was no leftover chicken adobo?
                      Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      That type of dish was eaten in the plantation camps long ago because it was cheap and filling and cans of sardines were readily available in the company store. My great-grandma would make it sometimes, but I never touched the stuff.

Miulang
                      heheheh...

Neba have any left ova's! It looks gross but taste onolicious! I can cook all kinds of food. Da best are simple dishes!

Can Sardines, shoyu, chile pepper wata and Poi! Now das a winner!

Lynn

Comment

Co-worker purchased a Hawaiian style take-out lunch from some place. And a can of Mountain Dew from the vending machine.

Comment

Tuna sandwich on wheat from John's Store in Pu`unui. And a bottle of water.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

A somewhat homemade smoothie here on the 19th floor!

Comment

Panda Express.
                              I ordered the panda.
                              Nevah got um, but.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Scallop soup...my favorite! NOE is DA BEST!
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X