X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checkers and Pogo

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Totally random thought lol.

Anyone remember this show? BONUS: Anyone been to the taping of the show as a kid? *raises hand* haha
    I was lucky enough to go twice!
    Once as a Cub Scout and once with the Nuuanu YMCA Summer Fun Program.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. HaHa!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
      What I'd pay to see an episode of "On The Go".......

The hippo.....or the men in their flying machines....or the bread making at Love's.....or the glass blower.......or the underground water tunnels.......or the BARN at the zoo........

I never quite enjoyed the painting one though.

Anyone else remember these?
      =============
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOQQ_qv-VQ8

Comment

I have many memories of the Checkers and Pogo Show, which was a fixture in our house every day after school.

They started on a stage with a black background, then went to a sub, then the Albatross, then a tree house.

I went on the Checkers and Pogo show twice. Once in 1969 on my 8th birthday. My mom made me wear a suit, arghh!

I had a Checkers and Pogo magazine, with me in a birthday photo inside. There was a photo framed story about Checkers and Pogo against a mummy, who was terrorizing the studio. Cleopatra arrived to save the day and walked the mummy out of the studio. The ending caption read Even a mummy needs a mommy, as both egyptian characters leaned against each other in the last frame. I lost the magazine in the house somewhere. Maybe it got thrown away by mistake.

The 2nd time I was on the show was in 1971. I sat on the very back right side of those kid bleachers, and each time Pogo came in the door he'd playfully rub my head.

Professor Fun is a longtime family friend, my stepdad used to work as his assistant in 1973-74, but not on Checkers and Pogo. Professor Fun did a magic show in Waikiki, in a hotel across from the zoo. Frank Delima was working that hotel back in the 90's, not sure if he's still there.

I remember all the cartoons they showed on Checkers and Pogo.

Astro boy: Go go go Astro boy!
        Gigantor: The space age robot, he's at - your command!
        Princess Knight: A princess who posed as a prince, and her sidekick Choppy - a little cherub dressed as robin hood. Villains were the fat Duke Duralumon and Neelon with his huge nose.
        Speet Racer: with Sprytle, Chimchim, Trixie, Sparky, and the villainous Racer X.
        Sinbad the Sailor: Sinbad Jr, and Salty his parrot in their sailing adventures.
        Casper the friendly Ghost: with sidekicks Wendy and Spooky, and Casper's three mean brothers called the ghostly trio
        Underdog: With Sweet Polly Purebread, and villains Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff.
        Klondike Cat: "I'll make mincemeat outta that mouse!"
        Clutch Cargo, Scott McCloud Space Angel: stiff cartoons with creepy live action red lips
        The Banana Splits: Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. Checkers and Pogo later featured their own verison of the Splits, cheap copies of the four characters. Snorky looked like he was shaved! We went to at least one Checkers and Pogo event outside on a stage that included the Bannana Split clones. Maybe it was a 50th state fair?
        The Adventures of Gulliver: and his liliputian friends Flirtatia, Glum, Bunko, and Eager, with Captain Leech as the Villain.
        Huckleberry Finn: Live action mixed with cartoon. Huck, Tom Sawyer, and Becky were the live actors. Injun Joe was a cartoon along with the backgrounds.
        Danger Island: We used to play this in our yards as kids. My Hawaiian friend Darren was always Chongo. The skeleton men on the show creeped me out.
        The Mighty Heroes: Strong Man, Rope Man, Diaper Man, Tornado Man, and Cuckoo Man.
        Space Kiddettes: with Scooter and friends, and Captian Sky Hook as the villain.
        Super Chicken, Tom Slick, George of the Jungle, Mr. McGoo, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, Gumby
        Fearless Fly: Hyrum was his alter ego, and Horse Fly and Flori were his friends. Dr. Goo Fi (goofy) and his side kick Gung Ho were the villains.
        Milton the Monster: With Professor Weirdo and Count Kook, Heebie and Jeebie, and Abercrombie the zombie.
        Batfink: "My wings are like a shield of steel", and his sidekick Karate
        King Kong: You know the name of King Kong, you know the fame of King King, 10 times as big as a man
        The Mighty Hercules: sidekicks were Newton and Tewt, Helena, and Daedalus was the villain
        Beany and Cecil: With Uncle Captain, Crow, with villain DJ (Dishonest John) - "Nya ha haa"
        The Robonic Stooges: Mechanized versions of the famous slapstick trio
        Tom of T.H.U.M.B.: and his partner Swingin' Jack
        Stuffy Derma was a hobo - cartoon about a hobo that carried a sack on a stick and rode trains.
        On The Go: I can still picture the Hippo running at the camera in slow motion, and later the camera man walking with his arm in a sling!
        Let's Be Friends: "Hi, I'm Kalani. Let's be friends!" I think this was a mainland show brought in, I only remeber one or two people from Hawaii.

Checkers and Pogo games:

Cracker eating contest and whistle: mentioned in a previous post.

Donut eating contest. Glazed donuts hung from a string and the kids had to eat it with their hands behind their backs. Blindfolded too, I think.

Sit on the balloon and try to pop it. The bigger kid usually won. Sometimes if a really little kid couldn't pop his for several seconds, Pogo would go over and squeeze it for him!

Sweep the ballon in a race back and forth. Those balloons would usually float loose and the kid had to go back with the broom to keep it going.

Don't forget funny faces, where the cameras would pan the kids in the audience as they made funny faces and stretched there nostrils and mouths with their fingers!

Remember the Nark Boobies? Little gopher puppets who popped out of the big hole in the tree and lip synced songs that were sped up? I remember them singing Ooga Chaka Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka!

Oh, and Super Spy and Arnold were played by the same guy, Jerry Cox, who also went by the psuedonym of Kim Chee!

I did hear about kids throwing stuff like eggs at Checkers' car. I don't think the reason was being snubbed on the show, there was a several month long waiting list and eventually you got in. They repainted the car a few times, I think it started off as a black and white checkered design, later it went to black and yellow checkers, and that's the one I saw driving around one day.

Then there were the Sky Slides - one was in Waipahu and one was in Mapunapuna. You grabbed a piece of carpet and ran up the stairs to the top, then rode the carpet down. One sky slide was multicolored like a rainbow, they later painted it all orange. The other sky slide was sky blue with thin red stripes. The first time I went on one I got slight burns on my ankles from touching the sides on the way down.

There was a Checkers and Pogo special that aired in the 90's. I taped it as I'm sure many of you have. Just a bunch of highlights though, with local entertainers reminiscing. I just wish it had more show and less of the talk of what I already know! Kind of like watching VH1's I love the 70's, give me less of those talking idiots and more of the actual stuff. I don't need to hear some lame comedian telling me that Jaws is about a shark!

I'd love to see Checkers and Pogo on dvd, but I'm afraid the demand isn't high enough.
        Last edited by PearlCityMike; January 27, 2008, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
          I have many memories of the Checkers and Pogo Show, which was a fixture in our house every day after school.
          There was a Checkers and Pogo special that aired in the 90's. I taped it as I'm sure many of you have. Just a bunch of highlights though, with local entertainers reminiscing. I just wish it had more show and less of the talk of what I already know! Kind of like watching VH1's I love the 70's, give me less of those talking idiots and more of the actual stuff. I don't need to hear some lame comedian telling me that Jaws is about a shark!

I'd love to see Checkers and Pogo on dvd, but I'm afraid the demand isn't high enough.
          ===============
          The demand is there, the footage is not. But Kalihiboy might have something up his sleeve eh?

Comment

They started on a stage with a black background, then went to a sub, then the Albatross, then a tree house.
            I don't remember the stage. I think there was something before the sub. Perhaps just a house.

As for C&P products, I remember a round sticker. Also I think there was a clock radio that bore their likeness. (Or maybe it was just a clock radio with said sticker? It's been awhile.)

Speet Racer: with Sprytle, Chimchim, Trixie, Sparky, and the villainous Racer X.
            Speed Racer - I don't think Racer X was a villain, just mysterious. And wasn't he actually SR's lost brother thought to be dead?

The Adventures of Gulliver: and his liliputian friends Flirtatia, Glum, Bunko, and Eager, with Captain Leech as the Villain.
            Glum - "It will never work"

Huckleberry Finn: Live action mixed with cartoon. Huck, Tom Sawyer, and Becky were the live actors. Injun Joe was a cartoon along with the backgrounds.
            I don't remember any cartoons in it.

Beany and Cecil: With Uncle Captain, Crow, with villain DJ (Dishonest John) - "Nya ha haa"
            Help Cecil, Help!
            I'm coming Beany Boy!

Don't forget Merry Unbirthday!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Speed Racer - I don't think Racer X was a villain, just mysterious. And wasn't he actually SR's lost brother thought to be dead?
              No Rex Racer ran away after he (Rex) and Pops had an arguement following a race. I think Rex had crashed a car during the race and while he didn't get hurt, Pops wasn't happy with Rex's performance during the race, saying he wasn't ready for race car driving.

Comment

Yes, now I remember those caricatures of C&P on a round sticker, and it was also used for the face of that clock radio I think....

My mind is a bit cloudy on the Racer X persona, but you guys refreshed me on it. It's been 30 years since I saw any episodes, and I haven't watched any on Nick at Nite or wherever they placed them recently. Among my favorite episodes were the monster car, where a giant car swallowed up a lot of race cars, and the gorilla island one where Speed gets stuck on and is running around with torn clothes. I remember something called a mammoth car too, where a train type of car entered the race.

On the Huck Finn live action one, they were set against a cartoon background similar to that Disney movie called Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Some are on youtube like the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1ATCoiXFo

Comment

Oh, and Super Spy and Arnold were played by the same guy, Jerry Cox, who also went by the psuedonym of Kim Chee!
                  Correcting my post - Super Spy and Sylvester were both played by Jerry Cox.

Other C & P games:

Stomp the balloon: A group of 5-6 kids with a balloon tied to one of their ankles with a string. Object was to stomp on each other's balloons and the kid with the surviving balloon won the game.

Egg on a Spoon: Carry the egg on a spoon to the other side, pass the spoon to a partner who brings it back.

Stuff the pillow: A couple of kids try to stuff it into the pillowcase, one takes it to the other side, pulls it out and a couple of kids try to restuff it.

Friday is Pie Day: Each Friday Checkers and Pogo put their faces into the platform with the holes and the kid with the pie chose which one to splatter with the paper plate and whipped cream. (May have been shaving cream - not 100% sure). Once in a while Sylvester joined in and put his face in one of the holes.

Pie eating contest: Kids sat at a table and stuck their faces into the pies to try to eat the most. This one made me hungry for pies. Liliha bakery?

Watermelon eating contest: Same principal as the pie eating contest. No hands, diving in face first.

Musical chairs: Didn't that fat kid always win in the end? Later he went on to the regionals!

Other C & P cartoons:

Luno: the winged horse
                  Flukey Luke
                  Last edited by PearlCityMike; February 3, 2008, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I I remember all the cartoons they showed on Checkers and Pogo.

Astro boy: Go go go Astro boy!
                    Gigantor: The space age robot, he's at - your command!
                    Princess Knight: A princess who posed as a prince, and her sidekick Choppy - a little cherub dressed as robin hood. Villains were the fat Duke Duralumon and Neelon with his huge nose.
                    Sinbad the Sailor: Sinbad Jr, and Salty his parrot in their sailing adventures.
                    Casper the friendly Ghost: with sidekicks Wendy and Spooky, and Casper's three mean brothers called the ghostly trio
                    Underdog: With Sweet Polly Purebread, and villains Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff.
                    Klondike Cat: "I'll make mincemeat outta that mouse!"
                    Clutch Cargo, Scott McCloud Space Angel: stiff cartoons with creepy live action red lips
                    The Banana Splits: Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky. Checkers and Pogo later featured their own verison of the Splits, cheap copies of the four characters. Snorky looked like he was shaved! We went to at least one Checkers and Pogo event outside on a stage that included the Bannana Split clones. Maybe it was a 50th state fair?
                    Danger Island: We used to play this in our yards as kids. My Hawaiian friend Darren was always Chongo. The skeleton men on the show creeped me out.
                    The Mighty Heroes: Strong Man, Rope Man, Diaper Man, Tornado Man, and Cuckoo Man.
                    Space Kiddettes: with Scooter and friends, and Captian Sky Hook as the villain.
                    Super Chicken, Tom Slick, George of the Jungle, Mr. McGoo, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, Gumby
                    Fearless Fly: Hyrum was his alter ego, and Horse Fly and Flori were his friends. Dr. Goo Fi (goofy) and his side kick Gung Ho were the villains.
                    Milton the Monster: With Professor Weirdo and Count Kook, Heebie and Jeebie, and Abercrombie the zombie.
                    Batfink: "My wings are like a shield of steel", and his sidekick Karate
                    King Kong: You know the name of King Kong, you know the fame of King King, 10 times as big as a man
                    The Mighty Hercules: sidekicks were Newton and Tewt, Helena, and Daedalus was the villain
                    The Robonic Stooges: Mechanized versions of the famous slapstick trio
                    Tom of T.H.U.M.B.: and his partner Swingin' Jack
                    Stuffy Derma was a hobo - cartoon about a hobo that carried a sack on a stick and rode trains.
                    On The Go: I can still picture the Hippo running at the camera in slow motion, and later the camera man walking with his arm in a sling!
                    Let's Be Friends: "Hi, I'm Kalani. Let's be friends!" I think this was a mainland show brought in, I only remeber one or two people from Hawaii.
                    Pretty good list. But don't forget the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts. While many cartoons entered and exited C&P's programming rotation, these classic WB cartoons were a constant staple. Since the C&P show aired before the age of political correctness, they even showed titles which have been shunned by the likes of Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon due to racial stereotypes, like Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips and Tokio Jokio. (When I look back on it now, I'm kinda surprised that KGMB allowed young, impressionable kids to be exposed to all that outdated World War II propaganda.)

Other favorites included Max, the 2000 year old mouse. (Lots of historical information in that one.) Also, the Marvel Comics cartoons from the 1960s. (Spider Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Thor, and the Submariner.)
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Checkers and Pogo

Merrie Melodies, that's correct.

Yes, those Marvel cartoons were a hit. Me and my friends were singing those jingles at school all the time.

Comment

Also shown on Checkers & Pogo were "The Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlett & the Mysterons".
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Also shown on Checkers & Pogo were "The Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlett & the Mysterons".
                          Yup, I used to like Thunderbirds. Scarlett creeped me out a bit, but I still watched a few.

I was singing the Gumby and Pokey commercial to myself the other day and remembered that was also on Checkers & Pogo.

We like Gumby
                          We like Pokey
                          We like Gumby
                          We like Pokey
                          Gumby
                          Pokey
                          Gumby
                          Pokey

Kids are singing the jingle as they climb up a playground rocket made of bars and bend the rubber Gumby and Pokey toys onto one of the bars.

Comment

Gumby & Pokey's nemesis were The Blockheads in the Jeep.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Wasn't there another Japanese animation series on Checkers and Pogo about a girl who was secretly a princess but dressed as a boy because she had swordfighting skills?
                              The series in question is called Princess Knight. Here is the IMDb entry as well as the Wikipedia entry.

The reason why she dressed as a boy was not because of her sword fighting skills, it was because the kingdom she lived in, only the male side of the family could only rule the land.

Comment

There's Ginger or Maryanne. How about Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck?
                                I always rooted for Daffy Duck when they battle each other. Bugs Bunny was the smart kid who always won with a smirk on his face like Ferris Bueller. I'm a Daffy backer because he was less talented, a grinder, gritty, and gutty and was more serious in his one on one challenge against Bugs Bunny.

Comment

Working...
                                X