New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

What I found strange is that if McGarret was able to travel to his house to get the old car going wouldn't he have access to his stash of weapons at home too?

Comment

maybe the car was not parked at his house?
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's official -- it HAS been renewed, according to the breaking news at this link.
        Hooray!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          It's official -- it HAS been renewed, according to the breaking news at this link.
          Hooray!!!
          I sorta had an inkling that was going to happen a couple of weeks ago when I traveling past Television City in LA and saw the Hawaii Five-0 billboards maintaining their place.

Glad to know that there will be a 2nd season of production in Hawaii.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

On this past Monday's episode (body in the trunk of hot rod cars). Do both of the lady actress look a bit too thin?

I know Hollywood (TV) stars need to be thin, but GP look a bit sickly thin. Ok, she was never a chunky girl, but (both) look like they drop 10lbs to an already thin body.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              On this past Monday's episode (body in the trunk of hot rod cars). Do both of the lady actress look a bit too thin?

I know Hollywood (TV) stars need to be thin, but GP look a bit sickly thin. Ok, she was never a chunky girl, but (both) look like they drop 10lbs to an already thin body.
              I noticed this, too...esp. since the camera can add 10 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I noticed this, too...esp. since the camera can add 10 lbs.
                With the change in technology, I'm wondering if that's still true (or at least not as true as it used to be).

With the old CRT sets, they tended to overscan in the horizontal then the vertical. As a result, everything (and everyone) got wider. But now, most people are using flat panel sets. I don't think they overscan.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  With the change in technology, I'm wondering if that's still true (or at least not as true as it used to be).
                  It's more like how the arms, shoulder and rear-end look. I'm a guy, so sorry. GP now looks like a coat hanger.

Or unless they (she) is getting ready for a future episode (or movie deal) where she is ill or on drugs.

It's not about being thin, it just looks un-healthy IMO.

Comment

With the old CRT sets, they tended to overscan in the horizontal then the vertical. As a result, everything (and everyone) got wider. But now, most people are using flat panel sets. I don't think they overscan.
                    Very good point, GG. Must admit, I'd not thought about a change in technology changing the old +10 rule!

Comment

the old +10 rule!
                      Did that "rule" apply to only video, or did it include film photography? That would test my theory on if it was an issue with CRTs.

Comment

Did that "rule" apply to only video, or did it include film photography? That would test my theory on if it was an issue with CRTs.
                        I remember that rule applying to film and since I mostly worked in film I didn't even think about video. Understanding I'm about as technology-challenged as anyone can be I'll still ask this question: If it's the CRT set that was overscanning, would it have made a difference whether or not it was film or video?

Comment

If it's the CRT set that was overscanning, would it have made a difference whether or not it was film or video?
                          Since some TV series was shot on film, I think it's more accurate to ask if there's a difference between shooting for the small screen and the big one.

Comment

Many years ago I was told by engineers that NTSC pixels were wider than they were taller and that this is the reason people looked heavier on TV. I used this as an explanation until I was corrected by another engineer who said that the pixels are rectangular, but they are actually taller than they are wider. Then I thought maybe it had something to do with 4:3 aspect ratio...but now we have widescreen TV. Who knows?

Maybe it's just an optical illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                              Many years ago I was told by engineers that NTSC pixels were wider than they were taller and that this is the reason people looked heavier on TV.
                              The problem I have with that is NTSC is analog, and as such, doesn't really have "pixels". There are "lines" for the vertical, and the number of dots it could display is limited by the resolution, but it's still analog.

As best as I can measure on my laptop, pixels are square.

Comment

I had an opportunity last night to ask 2 DPs and a director about this "camera adds 10 lbs. issue"! They all agreed it's true and it's dependent on the camera's lens be it film, video or still photography. Yes, they offered me a more detailed explanation about the millimeters of the lenses and the framing of the shot but, well, TMI for this tuckered tutu to retain! I found it interesting, tho'!

Comment

Working...
                                X