Least Favorite National TV Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Some actors go over really well in commercials, like Charlize Theron (perfume) and Kate Winslet (credit card). Oh, and I like Alec Baldwin (hulu.com). Others fall flat.

Comment

I love Ellen De Generis in the Cover Girl spots. And kudos to Cover Girl for using a lesbian as a spokesmodel.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I love Ellen De Generis in the Cover Girl spots. And kudos to Cover Girl for using a lesbian as a spokesmodel.
        ya know Ellen is such a cool actress I could care less if she were a lesbian. She's just one cool person!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          or try imagining luke wilson in his underwear or something like that so you can laugh at him
          Haaaaaahahaha! That totally made me laugh!

Is it me, or is Luke Wilson looking a little *meh* these days...?
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            ya know Ellen is such a cool actress I could care less if she were a lesbian. She's just one cool person!
            That's exactly my point and my guess is Cover Girls point, too. I don't really see Ellen as an actress. A comedienne...yes. She always seems to just be herself, be it her old sitcom or the CG spots. Then, again, maybe that was just good acting! She's just so darn likeable. I'm glad she came out of the closet. I'm glad she found her tv niche. I'm glad she's phenomenally successful. And I'm glad she was able to get married.

Comment

That's exactly my point and my guess is Cover Girls point, too. I don't really see Ellen as an actress. A comedienne...yes. She always seems to just be herself, be it her old sitcom or the CG spots. Then, again, maybe that was just good acting! She's just so darn likeable. I'm glad she came out of the closet. I'm glad she found her tv niche. I'm glad she's phenomenally successful. And I'm glad she was able to get married.
              I absolutely agree! I'm so happy for her to be CG's model, and I just love her 'likeability' too!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                Some actors go over really well in commercials, like Charlize Theron (perfume) and Kate Winslet (credit card). Oh, and I like Alec Baldwin (hulu.com). Others fall flat.
                Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.
                  That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!

Comment

I don't really have a quarrel with the ad as such, except that it's increasingly annoying to be reminded of the cost of paradise so blatantly - in this case, pretty exhorbitant.

The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!" and the graphic comes up on the screen at the same time and say $1.49 in Hawaii. That's a 67 percent markup if my math is right.

I know for a fact that past Taco Bell ads - both radio and TV - have changed the voice-over copy with local announcers when there is such a price differential so that voice and graphix match. I know the guy who did the revised voice-over . . . and part of the gig was also to do revised ads for Guam, where the differential between mainland and Guam prices was even more pronounced.

I still do patronize TB, however . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!"
                      That commercial had a creepy guy asking in a whisper voice to see a high school girl Taco Bell worker.

Comment

That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!
                        IIRC there was a surge of international advertising in the 1990s when the anti-smoking backlash hit America and the tobacco industry was ramping up international sales. Madonna was one of the stars who smoked cigarettes for Japanese ads. I think there were some hard-liquor advertisers paying stars who also didn't want to have that image rebroadcast back in America.

That's a tough link to search for. "Madonna smoking cigarette" turns up a whole 'nother category of "advertising"...
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Any mini Info-mercial. Like for the Ab-Ring or the Ab-Belt. That woman Jennifer who hawks the Ab-Ring is a professional body builder! She is NOT the overweight "before" picture. I hate it when companies do stuff like that. And nobody likes sitting through a 3 minute commercial.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The Ricola ad where the dancers are swinging around, and the girl is hoisted to the shoulders of the man, and he coughs and almost drops her. The ending of the ad really irritates me. They do a close up of the man's head and shoulders with a dead-on view of the woman's ... [ah hem, er]... legs wrapped around his neck. I'm betting that nobody else has even noticed, but it bothers me because I view it as something that was intentional and along the lines of a "mini-gratatuitous-crotch-shot".
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I've just realized how much I dislike the Symbicort asthma inhaler commercial. It features the woman in the dark, talking about using the product? I find my self paying more attention to the model's panty lines, which are very visible, rather than the product. I'm sure that was not the intent.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I am SO over the commercial with the guys singing "Lollipop", working on an assembly line. It's some ink commercial. I hate that song and it gets stuck in my head. And it has nothing to do with ink.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                                X