Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you doing TONIGHT?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Check your USB drivers in your Device Manager.
    Exactly where I went, my helpful friend.

It was a problem for a couple weeks - anything I plugged in (usually mp3 players or thumb drives) would not be recognized, but some things that were in USB ports (like a printer) were.

Last night, I could plug in a device and when I went to check the drivers, it would tell me the software was there, but that the device was not plugged in. But looking at the Device Manager, it showed the device was recognized.

Since something on the computer recognized that the device was connected, I did troubleshooting from there - basically just reloading the drivers, checking settings, etc. - and it all appears happy now. Tried a couple different devices, and they were all recognized and communicating with the mothership once again. Yay.

TONIGHT: it's a Wednesday, so I work - the Talk Show I produce (on a statewide radio service for the blind) is on Wed. nights. Then I have five consecutive days off from work - double Yay.

Comment

An early turkey feast with a bunch of musician friends, then playing live Hawaiian music until well after midnight.
      Assuming any of us can stay awake after the grindz.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Exactly where I went, my helpful friend.

It was a problem for a couple weeks - anything I plugged in (usually mp3 players or thumb drives) would not be recognized, but some things that were in USB ports (like a printer) were.

Last night, I could plug in a device and when I went to check the drivers, it would tell me the software was there, but that the device was not plugged in. But looking at the Device Manager, it showed the device was recognized.

Since something on the computer recognized that the device was connected, I did troubleshooting from there - basically just reloading the drivers, checking settings, etc. - and it all appears happy now. Tried a couple different devices, and they were all recognized and communicating with the mothership once again. Yay.

TONIGHT: it's a Wednesday, so I work - the Talk Show I produce (on a statewide radio service for the blind) is on Wed. nights. Then I have five consecutive days off from work - double Yay.
        If you're dropping drivers I'd suspect a failing hard drive. Better start backing up everything.

I used to be a walking aid for the deaf and blind. Someone asked me if I had to lose either sight or hearing, what would it be? Having worked with individuals with both disabilities, I immediately said, "Sight". We bump around in the night finding the light switch, we close our eyes for sleep 1/3 of the time in each day, sounds still arouse us from the dead of sleep, and we listen to radio. Each of these are dependent on hearing and can be done without sight.

But to lose hearing...imagine watching TV and the sound goes off? We get anxietized about it. Same at the theaters. When we sleep we still hear for disconcerning sounds. You can't sleep with your eyes open looking for problems. We are accustomed to hearing the media without seeing it.

When it comes to adapting, after losing sight, there are audio books, radio, even to some extent TV audio. But lose hearing, suddenly it's a very quiet world out there. Sound brings depth to the world, hearing birds chirp, waterfalls babbling...seeing without hearing to me is more frightening than hearing without seeing. As a society we are more adept at the latter with everyday usage from radios and ipods to adapt to depending on our ears than our eyes for information.

The theater of the mind. That's how radio producers think when producing radio shows. Baseball recreates don't need visuals to make for an effective broadcast but rely heavliy on sound efx.

So you can't drive but try driving without the benefit of hearing? Deaf people were required to have a fender mounted mirror on their passenger side of their cars for improved sensory capture. It's illegal to drive a vehicle with both ears covered, why so you can hear the sound of an emergency vehicle's siren.

Lack of sight is what all of us deal with everyday when we sleep or listen to audio media. Lack of sound is not normal in our lives. I chose blindnesss over deafness.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If you're dropping drivers I'd suspect a failing hard drive. Better start backing up everything.
          Thanks for the recommend - I do multiple backups on a regular basis, as I am a believer in the theory that "digital data does not exist, unless it is in at least two (if not more) distinct and separate places."

As for blindness vs. deafness, I've also worked in both communities (and combined, as there is a large deaf-blind population here), and hope that I would never have to choose, of course. But if forced to, I would rather be blind as well - I have hundreds of books, though as you noted, there is an audio equivalent. I also have thousands of music recordings, and there is no visual equivalent for those; and I've been an audio producer in one fashion or another for more than 30 years.

Having said all that, I am still astounded at how people with various disabilities adjust their world. I am pleasantly surprised, in my current job, to constantly learn what tools blind folks have developed and use to make their way in life. It's also an interesting journey to work with the radio host who will be on tonight (we have a pool of 4-6 hosts, all blind), as he lost most of his eyesight almost instantly, less than two years ago - observing what he has been doing to adjust, becoming one of our hosts has become part of his personal therapy.

BTW, many of the shows we've done in the past year are now archived online here.

Comment

I once took a group of hearing challenged children (deaf at birth) to a Taiko Drum concert at Leeward Community College one year. I was trying to impress upon them what "Sound" was. Before the performance I handed out large party balloons to each of them and instructed them to blow them up and place them on their chest, holding the balloon with their hands while sitting in their chair.

When the music started, the sound of the beating drums were felt as reverberations thru the balloons and they could follow the beat of the drums along with seeing the drummers. For some of them it was the first time they were able to attach sound and sight as one unified sense.

Comment

[...]
              When the music started, the sound of the beating drums were felt as reverberations thru the balloons and they could follow the beat of the drums along with seeing the drummers.[...]
              My kids had a step-sister (on their dad's side) who was deaf. The s-s used to come to my house to visit the girls. It was during the disco era/BeeGees. I had a hardwood floor. I'd turn the music on and UP! That child could dance like no one's business! She was so good. She felt the beat via vibrations from the floor. Amazing.

Comment

Tonight I am watching movies with Jason and procrastinating on cleaning house while Thomas the Turkey soaks in his beer/Tony Sacheries bath.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Tonight my wife is teaching PACE classes at Hawaii Community College in Hilo so I made dinner for the kids. Roasted two whole chickens and shred them apart. Made gravy with the bones and skin and a pot of rice. The dog and two cats were happy with the scraps and the kids' bellies are full. Simple but hearty meal under $10.

So now I'm kicking back with a cold one and the kids are watching TV. Tomorrow one of my boys will join us from Honolulu to spend Thanksgiving with the clan while my USMC boy receives his care package from me in Okinawa.

Comment

Tonight my wife is teaching PACE classes at Hawaii Community College in Hilo so I made dinner for the kids. Roasted two whole chickens and shred them apart. Made gravy with the bones and skin and a pot of rice.[...]
                    Huh?! The night before turkey day?

Comment

I once took a group of hearing challenged children (deaf at birth) to a Taiko Drum concert at Leeward Community College one year. I was trying to impress upon them what "Sound" was. Before the performance I handed out large party balloons to each of them and instructed them to blow them up and place them on their chest, holding the balloon with their hands while sitting in their chair.

When the music started, the sound of the beating drums were felt as reverberations thru the balloons and they could follow the beat of the drums along with seeing the drummers. For some of them it was the first time they were able to attach sound and sight as one unified sense.
                      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      My kids had a step-sister (on their dad's side) who was deaf. The s-s used to come to my house to visit the girls. It was during the disco era/BeeGees. I had a hardwood floor. I'd turn the music on and UP! That child could dance like no one's business! She was so good. She felt the beat via vibrations from the floor. Amazing.
                      Professional classical marimba player Evelyn Glennie is profoundly deaf, yet has had a very successful career, including performances with top ensembles around the world, a major recording contract, new commissions, etc. She feels the vibrations as well - which is why she performs barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Huh?! The night before turkey day?
                        We'll be up late tonight prepping. The kids are savoring the feast for tomorrow.

Comment

Its 12:38 AM, and Im still cooking............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I'm gonna watch the movie 'Up'. I borrowed it from the library for only a dollar! How great is that!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                              I'm gonna watch the movie 'Up'. I borrowed it from the library for only a dollar! How great is that!
                              Your library charges for borrowed DVDs?

I suppose it's cheaper than private alternatives ...

Comment

Italian dinner with the co-workers and families. Much fun with the two keiki who were there.

Comment

Working...
                                X