Ban New Years fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Having had fun with fireworks in my smallkeed local years, I am not sure if I am for or against fireworks now that I am a parent. I can see kids and certain adults being really stupid and irresponsible (and not only with firewoks, come to that).

But I'll bet pets, birds, and zoo animals are happier without fireworks. Not to mention parents of sleeping babies.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

...and yes, I am sorry for stuffing that mailbox full of firecrackers and lighting it at that house with the newborn, so many years ago in Mokuleia...
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

This New Years was pretty quiet in Kaneohe, although I suspect much of that had to do with the rain.

I've always been told that fireworks are supposed to scare off evil spirits and bring good fortune. Whenever someone says that to me nowadays, I tell them to compare the fireworks over places like Hawaii Kai or Kahala vs. places like Waipahu or Kalihi. If anything, fireworks scare away good fortune and attract evil spirits. The evidence is irrefutable. How did tradition get it so completely backwards?

Comment

Wondering how fireworks were in your neighborhood? From my observations this year of the sky last night, it must be legal to do arials and roman candles and rockets.

If folks can't stick to the safe stuff, then maybe all fireworks will need to be banned. (The potential to burn down a neighbor's house with rockets, etc, is not what I call "safe".)
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Wondering how fireworks were in your neighborhood? From my observations this year of the sky last night, it must be legal to do arials and roman candles and rockets.

If folks can't stick to the safe stuff, then maybe all fireworks will need to be banned. (The potential to burn down a neighbor's house with rockets, etc, is not what I call "safe".)
            Sorry, i would have to vote to VETO the current ban on fireworks...

What I would like seen and revised is the ability to purchase paperless firecrackers, BUT continue the ban on those fireworks assortments such as the sparklers, spinning ground bloom flowers, etc as they have the higher probability of being thrown into someplace/somewhere where it can catch fire more easily.

I feel those fireworks (sparklers, ground bloom flowers, etc.) are the main cause of the problems with accidental fires, along with the illegal fireworks (though they surely are beautiful to see explode in one's neighborhood). I am in the position that those paperless firecrackers are placed in a stationary position and will not move much by the person who ignited the firecrackers.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
              What I would like seen and revised is the ability to purchase paperless firecrackers, BUT continue the ban on those fireworks assortments such as the sparklers, spinning ground bloom flowers, etc as they have the higher probability of being thrown into someplace/somewhere where it can catch fire more easily.
              I think what you recommend is what the current law is on Oahu:

Firecrackers are now on sale in Oahu stores, but only for people who already purchased firecracker permits.
              All other fireworks, including paperless firecrackers, fountains and sparklers are all illegal on Oahu.
              Arials are, of course, illegal. (Except for those handled in professional shows.)

Comment

It's the dawn of 2015, and still plenty noisy in Honolulu. It seems the prevalence of the emphatically outlawed aerials and big booms hasn't changed at all, but the run-of-the-mill noise and smoke makers are less prevalent. So while giant blasts still set off car alarms, there's perhaps less of a suffocating fog of smoke.

Then again, I'm in Milillani, and not Pearl City or Waipahu, where things are always several factors more intense.

People still lament the loss of the good ol' days and call for a relaxing of the fireworks prohibitions, but those voices seem quieter now. I think more and more of the people who were used to unfettered pyrotechnics are starting to reach the age where they're asleep well before midnight!

Comment

Kahalu`u was RELATIVELY quiet this year.

Evidently fewer people are buying 'cultural celebrations' permits for firecrackers, however, the "big booms" (likely Acetylene canons) proliferate. Noisy, but relatively harmless and less messy.

I can live with it every six months.

I stayed up till after midnight just to hear how it was.

No school tomorrow, no work, so why not?

Happy New Year everyone.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Last year, a new neighbor stupidly thought blasting their roman candles towards my house was a good idea. They did not care about the fire hazard to my yard or roof.

This year, that house was quiet. But the folks next door to THEM set off a long routine of aerials and sky rockets that traveled directly over the house-of-problems from last year.

With the mess centered over their yard this year, I do think there must be an element of "what goes around comes around" in there somewhere.

My opinion of fireworks is the same as towards tobacco smoke: keep it to yourself and don't inflict the effects on someone else's quality of life or enjoyment of peace .... and fine. But unfortunately, the "inconsiderate" choose actions that then lead to laws which restrict everyone (even those who are considerate).

If only stupidity could be banned ....

Comment

http://khon2.com/2015/01/01/hfd-push...ries-increase/

Is this the countdown to ending fireworks on New Year's Eve?

Comment

A deadly outcome of illegal fireworks this year, which KGMB news reports:
                        One woman is dead and another man, 36, critically injured after police say an illegal aerial was launched just after midnight in the Kapolei area.

Comment

Looks like the ban has failed. Fireworks were everywhere last night including lots of aerials in downtown areas of Honolulu. The ban was passed without the majority support of the population, so it's no surprise.

Comment

In my opinion there is no interest in HPD in enforcing the ban. In my neighborhood, the relatives of HPD brass were the worst offenders. This year others have beat them out for top offenders.
                            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                            Ayn Rand

Comment

Yep, it does seem like there is little to no enforcement of the law when it comes to aerial fireworks. Heck, someone supposedly steals the chief's mailbox, and all he!! breaks loose. Meanwhile, every New Years Eve there are people potentially blowing up their family or burning down the neighbor's home with illegal aerials ..... no problem.

Comment

I hardly heard a pop peep in Waikiki, but around around 11pm revelers created a ruckus for about a minute, maybe they were too drunk to tell time, yet at midnite there was virtually nothing to be noticed.
                                It is pretty much in the lap of our corrupt HPD and maybe the Kealoha thing will lead to a draining of the swamp, but who's gonna hold their breath for the stink that's coming?
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X