• Re: Disappearing establishments

Here's something that's long gone

Hawaii's Chinatown early 1950's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NwAze_7YYk

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
      But I just want to know WHEN it left???
      At least a few months ago. They had a sign that said they were renovating but I guess they never got to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
        When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum.

there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store
        I can say I'm surprised you attribute it to only that. I like falafel and hummus and da kine so much, i would support it more than twice a year or so...
        If.. i went that area. or knew it was there....

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
          Here's something that's long gone

Hawaii's Chinatown early 1950's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NwAze_7YYk
          Wow that was interesting. Along that clip was this one on YouTube on the Waialae Drive in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMB0...elated&search=
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Along that clip was this one on YouTube on the Waialae Drive in [/url]
            yea. saw this a while ago when i posted my haunted graveyard thang.
            He sez:

for all the "Lost Kamaainas" living far
            away from the islands. Enjoy!

Home of the reported faceless
            ghost hanging in the ladie's room.
            I never believed any of it.

omiGAWD! Some one rePORted the ghost? as faceless?
            what! who!? a reporter?
            reported to the cops? the salvation army? the girl scouts?! Glen Grant?
            Sammy Amalu? Checkers and Pogo?
            Bob Sevey? Five Oh?
            Who? what and why?

was she hanging by a rope? on a hanger? neatly in the closet? Slightly damp on a line?
            hanging.. around?

and i love how he sez:
            "for all the kama'aina.
            BUT i never believe local stories or kama;'aina obake stuffs."

'enjoy!"
            enjoy? after you diss it?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Wow that was interesting.
              that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.
                I remember those days when you could drive down Hotel Street. Yep Chinatown has surely changed a lot.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

All of Hawaii has changed alot... changed too much. and there's no stopping the cancer. more insidious than the swarms of missionaries that taught Hawaiians the concepts of one god. and sin and shame and don't dance the hula and let's destroy your pagan gods and your culture... (and be ready for our progeny to appropriate your culture and turn it into a casual cartoon amusement of ours. watch it be a main feature of Dizzyland!) Just so, the invasion and destruction of what was once a great culture, a beautiful island civilisation, is being destroyed. because domination. taking what you want at any cost. Gimme,gimme,gimme. Possession. I want buildings. investing in land. it's ingrained in to the consciousness of americans, westerners, europeans. Sure one can say; well they lost the war. get over it. Sure we may hear; they have convenience, stop complaining. if course well, get; "you aren't Hawaiian, you sure want yer piece of the by, ya NIMBY complainer". naturally we will be met with "naaah, the good ol days are here now..." well, lemme tellya. justifications for the wiping out of what once was... unfortunately drown out any interest to any degree, of listening to the original inhabitants of these lands.
                  Hawaii itself is a "disappearing establishment". It is being run rampant with people who move here wanting their starbucks, and mainland clubs and big stores. and all the manini shopping choices they have on the mainland. They move here from amelica and say "I am finally HOME!" and what of the kanaka maoli who actually can call Hawaii their home? because it IS... THEIR home, and for generations? and now, can no longer afford to live in their own land? and can no longer recognize their own home for the proliferation of the mainland corporate presence, wiping out all semblance of localness, all mom and pop stores... all things that separated the islands from the conus. The island is swarming with transplants who felt the pull for years and now they are here with their wishes that their investment of raw land... or a small house, or condotel unit in Kakaako or Wilshire, I mean Kapiolani, will double in value every couple years, and sure hope the big chains move to my neighborhood, that'll add value to my property, and that's a good thing cuz I want my convenience, i NEED many shopping possibilities. . . after all, the destruction of another's country is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it's our prerogative.
                  Last edited by kimo55; January 11, 2007, 07:58 AM.

Comment

...and that's why our planet is warming up. Our great-grandchildren will have conversations like this:

"eh, we go dive off Ward Centre (the name of a really cool reef). My Uncle Joe said he saw one fish there last week!"

pax

Comment

we'll have responses like this;
                      a fish... hmmm. usta know wot dat was. remind me. whassa fish?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        I wish her luck. She's a nice lady---anyone know if she is still working at Castle?
                        she is busy doing demo of her packaged and bottled products around town and ready to do it on da mainland.
                        (a Trade shows, at Daiei... wait. that died, eh?)
                        Last edited by kimo55; January 11, 2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

At Ala Moana Center on da corner was this eating place LONG LONG TIME AGO. I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side. I am talkin da uda side which turned into a shoe stoa.....
                          Anyways, they served plate lunches and my mom used to get beef stew from them and whats funny is that you physically got maybe 2-3 actual meat hidden under sauce/gravy they put under. I wonder what kept them goin pulling stuff like dat?
                          Also they had a magazine rack with what else the adult mags.
                          Ohhhhhhh da workers always gave ya stink eye if they knew if u were lookin at stuuff ur no supposed to be lookin at.

Comment

I remember Jon's. I liked to order their hamburgers and fries.

Comment

I dunno if its long gone or still stay......
                              Their specialty was Japanese Fast Food.....
                              One was and I do mean was at Pearl Kai across from the now defunct Tower Records

I am hazy if the Ala Moana Location is still there or not at the Food Court and the flagship store at Waikiki.
                              When I order their Teri Chix I go upstairs and grind like there is no tommorrow!

Abyone can help me on the name of this eating place?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                                I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side.
                                I remember the place, too. It was a small corner store. I used to like their mini curry bowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X