This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama Watch

I didn't even know there was a National Association of American Rock Stars, but even they are worried about the star power of Barack Obama!

Barack Obama is a bigger draw than Aerosmith and Metallica? Maybe there's some hope for the younger generation after all. I think John Kennedy was the last politician who drew this much attention from the younger crowd.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      And you honestly think that minors should be allowed to have medical procedures performed upon them without parental consent??
      Gee, I don't know Tim. Should rapists be able to get parental visitation? Or maybe slave owners should have been consulted before anyone got behind the Emancipation Proclamation.

And btw http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/prote...s20000831.html
      Last edited by sinjin; January 2, 2007, 12:08 PM.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

TK - what if the parent who is required to give consent is the one who caused the problem requiring a "medical procedure" as you so delicately put it? Do you still believe that a teenager can't make this decision herself? or are you one of those folks who still believe that providing condoms & birth control information encourages teenagers to have sex?

as for the ACLU - they don't "support" these organizations but they will defend them in a court of law. Whether we agree with them or not, and many times I don't - I'm still glad to have the ACLU there to defend all of our rights.

and isn't this getting a bit "off thread" ?
        Last edited by anapuni808; January 2, 2007, 12:58 PM. Reason: (added additional comment)
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Dream ticket: John Edwards for Prez and Barack Obama for VP. Guarans that the moderate Dems would be in power at least 16 years!
          I like the ticket in reverse, Obama Pres, and Edwards Vice Pres. Whether Obama is Black American, or African/American makes no difference to me. What is awesome is he is not another millionaire running for Office. This is my problem with Edwards. He's a millionaire Ambulance Chaser, even with his speech of two Americas....he loses touch with the "average joe". Barak, on the other hand has got charisma jumping off of him in all directions. I was sold on Barak Obama the night he made to opening speech at the Democratic Convention. I was pulled in that night, and still feel close to his ideas today, nothing has changed in my opinion.

Dems don't need Hillary to win, they need Barak to lead the charge to the promise land. Unless the "Dirt Farmer from Crawford", pulls out a magic bunny from his arse....anybody who runs in 2008 against the GOP should win pretty easily in my opinion.
          I lived through the "Watergate Fiasco",and that was nothing compared to what GW Bush has done to this great nation of ours. He has shamed us beyond belief! I think Barak is the only one who could reverse the misconception that the world has of us thanks in part to the Bush Administration!!!!!

Yes, that is what I am referring to: an Edwards/Obama ticket of moderates. You want a conservative Republican ticket? It sure ain't McCain/Giuliani! You'd need more of a Mitt Romney and I dunno yet (Newt Gingrich, maybe?). Both McCain and Giuliani are way too liberal for you to consider.
          McCain?!?!??!??!?!? He is showing his true colors these days isn't he? Once considered a GOP Maverick....is hardly that these days! He is just another GOP whore looking under garbage for votes. Newt Gingrich, no more Clinton to try and kick around. Gingrich is yesterdays news, even within his own party, actually especially within his own party!

As for Rudy Giuliani, people can't remember Rudy past 9/11. He stood up everyday addressing the New York public and America during the 9/11 crisis. So a lot of Americans will support him on that alone, until they find out that he's for abortions. But liberal he's not! Rudy before 9/11 was one of the most hated individuals in all of New York Politics. He was a jerk of major purportions

Comment

Wait just a minute.

Obama may or may not be as wealthy as Edwards (who no longer has to disclose since he is out of the Senate), but Obama is quite clearly a millionaire if you look at his disclosure form for 2005 (PDF). Obama took in $1.9M for a book advance alone.

I still think it is far too early to form a solid opinion about candidates for 2008(!), so don't consider this an endorsement for or against any candidate.
            Last edited by poinographer; January 6, 2007, 08:40 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Obama is appealing (as in, politically he is a clean slate because he hasn't made any enemies yet), but he also doesn't have very much national experience and definitely no international experience (but then, neither did Dubya when he first ran for President ). But he does have a little personal baggage in that he has already admitted (in his first book) that in his youth he indulged in heavy drug use. Will that be a liability? Only time will tell.

Edwards has already been vetted (any personal dirt has already been dug up on him and he's run for Vice President already so he understands the process), so in terms of experience, he does have an advantage.

Hillary? Sorry. Until and unless she does what Edwards has done (acknowledged that he made a mistake in voting to allow the President to declare war on Iraq), she won't find any favor with the majority of Democrats.

On the Republican side, Giuliani is having problems of his own because his "playbook" that outlined what his potential piccadillos were somehow got leaked. Will that be a liability? Only time will tell.

Yesterday, both McCain and Lieberman apparently made appearances at that neocon bastion of political thought, the American Enterprise Institute. Will there be a McCain/Lieberman ticket that is designed to woo conservative voters? Only time will tell.

Mitt Romney might have an image problem with being a Mormon. He is also considered by some conservatives to be a turncoat. Can he convince moderate Republicans that he can do the job? Only time will tell.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sen. Inouye isn't giving his blessing to a presidential run by Obama. See the SB story.
                Does this have any impact? Inouye is clearly one of the most senior and influential Democrats in the party, and it appears he is signaling that Hillary deserves the support of the party. Or, is this just relatively unimportant old-boy posturing? Discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                  I like the ticket in reverse, Obama Pres, and Edwards Vice Pres.
                  Me too. I expect to see this ticket as reality. Ms. Clinton as candidate for president is the only way the Dems can lose IMO.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

David Shapiro posits, "Inouye showing little clout at home." He notes that he failed to stop a shake-up in the legislature, and that Hawaii democrats are jumping on the Obama bandwagon despite his assertion that the man's not ready. And recall that Inouye backed old-school Lieberman in Connecticut even after Democratic voters rejected him in favor of Lamont. He eventually had to publicly reverse course.

Odd that with Democrats back in power, things haven't yet gotten noticably better for our allmighty senior senator. If Obama runs anyway, it probably won't help Inouye's stature. Heck, even if Inouye is proven right, and Obama flames out, I'm not sure that'll be a boost for him either. I'd imagine Obama fans would again angrily label him part of the old guard (a la Akaka v. Case) and start counting the days 'til he's out (one way or another)... shaking somewhat the seemingly untouchable legacy he was building in the senate.

Comment

It's official.

Obama's running for President
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

So much for him announcing it on Oprah. Not gonna happen.
                        http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/...ers/index.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          So much for him announcing it on Oprah. Not gonna happen.
                          http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/...ers/index.html
                          He's only forming an "exploratory committee" at this point. He says he'll make a definite decision by Feb. 10, so there's still time for that Oprah visit (and since he's planning to make his official announcement in Chicago, which is also where Oprah is taped...) What's funny is that his announcement pre-empted a public announcement/interview by Hillary today. Could her strategists have miscalculated on timing her announcement?

Miulang

Comment

Re: It's official.

No, it's not official.
                            My bad. I read on several message boards that it was.

Sorry.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Watch Obama's announcement this morning about the formation of his Presidential exploratory committee here.

Miulang

Comment

The things a network would do for an Obama story

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/19/fox-obama-madrassa/

No wonder republicans don't push education in their campaigns--they can keep the citizenry ignorant about the truth. As you may know, Obama's not Muslim. But check out this segment from the video in the link above:

CARLSON: Alright, Jim from Alabama, what do you think?

DOOCY: Jim?

CALLER: Yeah.

CARLSON: What do you think?

CALLER: I think a Muslim would be fine in the presidency, better than Hillary. At least you know what the Muslims are up to. [Laughter]

CARLSON: We want to be clear, too, that this isn’t all Muslims, of course, we would only be concerned about the kind that want to blow us up.
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X