X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Like I said, please do something to get yourself banned. It'd be a pleasant change.
    PJ, luckily you don't have to wait for someone to get "banned" to be rid of them. You can do as I do, and use the "igonore" option on HT. It helps weed out from your day the posters who post offensively online, and also the ones who post offensive PMs.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      Racism is blatant at HT and throughout the Islands ... But you have to realize that racism and ignorance run hand in hand. Perhaps that explains the reasoning behind the court decision on Kam Schools.
      Your cause and effect explanation makes no sense, since the court decision on Kamehameha Schools did not occur in “the lslands.” The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is in San Francisco. And the court made it clear what their reasoning was, as they always do despite timkona-style speculation and presumptions.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Racism is blatant at HT and throughout the Islands. Of that, there is no doubt. But you have to realize that racism and ignorance run hand in hand. Perhaps that explains the reasoning behind the court decision on Kam Schools.

Ignorance is nearly a religion in Hawaii.

In the land of idiots, the 1/2 wit is king. That's why I love Hawaii.
        Yep ignorance at it's best. Tim I cannot imagine your knowledge on the laws of the land is higher than the 9th US Court of Appeals. But since you believe so I have just assume that you are one of those many idiots you mention. Yep lucky you live Hawaii.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
          White race? What's that? Can I call the rest of them browns and yellow now?

I've found both the blatant racism and overt discussions of race and ethnicity to be instructive and refreshingly honest. Meaning, instead of people snickering and whispering behind their hands about it like they do most places, they just come out and say f'n haole if that's what they're thinking. Honesty is a first step towards healing.
          Since when is blatant racism "refreshing"??

Just because you have the gonads to say your racist doesn't make it OK...it just makes a good excuse to continue.
          Just because it is racism against "white" instead of any other color doesn't make it less wrong! Or less offensive....
          I have enough respect for others not to call ANYONE f'n "whatever" and being grouped into f'n haole...I do not find honest or refreshing.
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

One of my favorite things about HT (and hey, this is actually on-topic ) is how no matter how I phrase something, someone is gonna interpret it in the worst possible light

Of course all racism is horrible. What would you rather have though, a person holding it in and building up their resentment (and maybe having it turn into violence later), or getting it out and maybe actually discussing things and coming to some sort of understanding? Ending ignorance depends on knowledge, and knowledge depends on communication. "Hey, that guy really isn't all that different than me after all..." I know it's not likely with such a heated topic but without communication on the subject it's not possible to start healing these things at all.

Comment

In a way you are correct Bard. Better to be able to see your enemy rather than let them covertly sneak up to you and assault your integrity.

At least when a person is open about their position you know where they're coming from as opposed to those who are "two-faced".
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks Craig, that's what I meant exactly. I'd rather know up front, that's the honesty part of it. And who knows, maybe they have some issue that we could work out.

On the flip side, maybe if they hadn't said anything to begin with and kept associating with me, they would find out over time that I'm OK (or not OK ) in spite of preconceptions, and things would work out better.

Tough issue...

Comment

The 9th Circuit Court is notoriously the most liberal in all the land. It's a well known fact that liberal philosophy embraces racism at its' core using unique entitlement and historical vagaries as the justification.

There is really no "fair" way to explain Affirmative Action, Hiring Quotas, or the Kam School Admission policy. You can find a Japanese Chamber of Commerce, a Black Firefighters League, Latino Student Unions, etc etc.

But I have never hear of the United White College Fund, or a school that gives preference to white students first.

Where is the ACLU on this one? Oops I forgot. They are primarily a liberal cause, and embrace racism, staying true to party lines.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

But I have never hear of the United White College Fund, or a school that gives preference to white students first.
                    You never know, Tim. Maybe when Hispanics are the predominant ethnicity in this country, you can go set up a United White College Fund. I might even contribute to it to help preserve the white culture.

I'm sorry, but white folk have taken advantage of minorities in this country for a long, long time. It's only when the shoe is on the other foot will you come to realize what it means to be marginalized in the ways ethnic minorities have been marginalized.

As to schools giving preference to white students first, you can be excused because you weren't in Hawai'i prior to the 60's, but for a long time Punahou was pretty much the exclusive province of white folks' progeny.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; December 11, 2006, 04:22 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's only when the shoe is on the other foot will you come to realize what it means to be marginalized in the ways ethnic minorities have been marginalized.

After 15 years in Hawaii, it is safe to say that my shoes are well worn.

Which is precisely why my views on racism have evolved to what they are presently. I learned prejudice as a child. As an adult, I realize what a tragedy it is. When I hear a Hawaiian child speak in racial tones, I want the parents arrested for child abuse.

I would never ask you for a donation to support an all white school simply because I would not support such an ignorant notion. But after a little research, and a couple emails, I have discovered precisely what I prayed I would not find as a result of the 9th Circuit Court decision.

It is arguable that White Supremacists are trying to preserve cultural practices, and a national identity, that were stripped from them during the Civil War. And now they have the legal ammunition to start a school with a terrifying mission statement.

Racism is bad, no matter how you try to defend it. It's a small world after all.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

TK -

I know you have a strong passion for things!

I know you will never back down from anything...

But 15 years in Hawaii does not equate to well worn shoes!

It means you have been somewhere for a while and continue to learn and live by the mistakes you have made.

One of those was running for council... I think that may have gaven you a sour taste to what a lot of people truly think about things.

Running for politics and losing leaves a very sour and bitter flavor in someones mouth...

I know you personally... and you are not a sour and bitter person...yet someone with some compassion for many things.

I know you will never back down from your feelings... nor will I...

but saying things like your going to build a white school...etc... and do this and that...etc...

Try it brah...... just try it.... !

Seriously... I'd love to study something like that here in Hawaii...

However you keep running your mouth and saying what if...quit saying what if...and do it!

Hugs...

Damon
                        P.S. I sent you a pm!

Comment

Come on Manoa. I expressly said that I would never support the notion of an all white school.

Running for politics opened my eyes to the level of dogma, rooted in miseducation and propaganda, that pervades our society. "Please don't confuse me with facts. I have already decided."

Prior to my candidacy, I truly believed that EVERYBODY paid attention to elections and to the issues that were to be voted upon. I also used to believe that folks would change their minds when presented with facts, evidence, and science. I was very naive.

I have passion. I have compassion. Both in copious amounts. I have no tolerance whatsoever for ignorance or dogma.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Come on Manoa. I expressly said that I would never support the notion of an all white school.

Running for politics opened my eyes to the level of dogma, rooted in miseducation and propaganda, that pervades our society. "Please don't confuse me with facts. I have already decided."

Prior to my candidacy, I truly believed that EVERYBODY paid attention to elections and to the issues that were to be voted upon. I also used to believe that folks would change their minds when presented with facts, evidence, and science. I was very naive.

I have passion. I have compassion. Both in copious amounts. I have no tolerance whatsoever for ignorance or dogma.
                            Methinks you protesteth too much, Tim. If you're so tolerant, you shouldn't need to proclaim your tolerance so often. Just live and chill. When you scream about Muslims and how their religion teaches them all to be killers, that isn't showing much tolerance. You obviously do care about things. But saying you hate racism while being intolerant of Muslims is like a nonconformist being adamant that conformists are wrong, for isn't nonconformity another form of conformity?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Muslims preach to children to be killers. That is child abuse.

Race and Religion are seldom comparative. Do not confuse the two.

Nonconformity is the playground of the left AND the right. I'm careful how I choose my battles. 2 points for originality.

Have I trapped you, or is the Queen telling the truth? Perhaps you should pay attention to the play. Or maybe you truly did love me??????

PS - Sometimes I fascinate myself with the number of books I have read. Shakespeare was prolly as drunk, all the time, as I am right now.

PSS - That was uncalled for....Sorry Miulang.

PSS - That 4th paragraph should take a while to decipher. But the meaning is there.
                              Last edited by timkona; December 11, 2006, 10:42 PM. Reason: Miulang's feelings
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Gawd, I'm an A-hole when I'm liquored up.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X