• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    What is vermin?
    Us humans, obviously.

The moment you think we're above vermins, you're having delusions of grandeur.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

"Woman who killed Makaha peacock found not guilty"

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...t_lost_it.html

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...t_lost_it.html
        According to KGMB news, it is also open season on peafowl - all year - as long as it's done humanely.

No hunting license required, no closed season.

Anyone know how they taste? And can we sell the feathers
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          And no sooner did Maloney get out of the courtroom when she thumbed her nose.

After the jury acquitted her of the charge Friday afternoon, Maloney told reporters,"It will be open season on peacocks."

A juror, who heard the comment on television Friday evening, said the comment was "out of line."
          Vile old witch.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've come out of lurkdom to say how absolutely disgusted I was with this "not guilty of cruelty to animals" verdict that this woman got!

Since when is beating a defenseless creature to death with a baseball bat "not cruelty to animals"????

And then her completely stupid comment about meaning to eat it afterwards....yeah, I see that 70 year old haole lady hauling it in her condo to dress and eat it - ha...so bogus!

Her complete lack of remorse or compassion towards another living creature makes me sick - as for "invasive species" - how about her being the invasive species? As best I can remember, peacocks have been around since before the Overthrow at least - can she say that??

Kala mai - this whole issue makes me sick - cruelty to animals is never acceptable - and if this wasn't cruelty, then what is?

Comment

This is absolutely amazing to me:
              A juror, who heard the comment on television Friday evening, said the comment was "out of line." The juror said members of the jury agreed the bird was a pest. He said the jury concluded she did not beat the bird, because they believed the word beat meant hitting it multiple times. He said if the charge against her had been worded "hit or strike" they would have convicted her.
              (source...also cited by FM above)

One crazy defendent + one crazy jury = not guilty

Comment

Originally posted by koloagirl View Post
                Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've come out of lurkdom to say how absolutely disgusted I was with this "not guilty of cruelty to animals" verdict that this woman got!

Since when is beating a defenseless creature to death with a baseball bat "not cruelty to animals"????

And then her completely stupid comment about meaning to eat it afterwards....yeah, I see that 70 year old haole lady hauling it in her condo to dress and eat it - ha...so bogus!

Her complete lack of remorse or compassion towards another living creature makes me sick - as for "invasive species" - how about her being the invasive species? As best I can remember, peacocks have been around since before the Overthrow at least - can she say that??

Kala mai - this whole issue makes me sick - cruelty to animals is never acceptable - and if this wasn't cruelty, then what is?
                Good comments, but we need perspective.

1) Cruelty to animals.

I go so far as to trap my attic rats and compost rats with Havahart(c) traps. Then what do I do with them? The Hawaiian Humane Society will have nothing to do with them, so I release them in the most rural environment I can find - as far away from people as possible. I'm worried that they may starve.

What about cruelty to humans? What this lady was experiencing was cruelty (though not deliberate) to humans, who are also animals. What about preventing cruelty to human animals? Peafowl are less natural in Hawaii than humans; we have been here longer. Peafowl are more of an invasive species than humans.

Problem: some people love them, some hate them. No consensus.

2) Vermin.

I hear peafowl every day from the next valley over! I'm glad there are few in my valley. Not only are they obnoxiously noisy, but they dislodge ceramic roof tiles, which are considerable expensive to replace. I have heard other complaints, as well.

I like to see them and hear them during the day, but I don't want them roosting my roof and waking me at 3am ripping off my roof tiles.

I think it is a situation of moderation. We need to moderate their population, and hunting is a good alternative - if they taste good!

We eat chicken, turkey, pheasant and grouse (and more), if we can eat peafowl, why not? But I agree, it must be done humanely.

I can't judge if this lady was humane or not - but we must establish standards.

I tolerate wild pigs digging up my flowers fruit and vegetables because I don't want to kill them. I should invite pig hunters to get them, but I'm not ready for that yet.

If we don't battle vermin, we will be overwhelmed.
                ~ ~

Comment

Interesting...

Anyone can kill a peafowl at anytime without a permit, but has to do it 'humanely'?
                  So, shooting it is acceptable, baseball bat is not. Though she 'got away' with it?

Peafowl are incredibly obnoxiously noisy like Coqui frogs, but I haven't heard of anyone wishing the frogs be left alone. Have you?

Killing anything before it's time unless in pain is inhumane no matter what.
                  Even a delicious pig. IMO

That said I really don't care if peafowl, frogs, or pigs are killed. No big deal to me.

Humans rule! Though badly at times.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Anyone can kill a peafowl at anytime without a permit, but has to do it 'humanely'?
                    So, shooting it is acceptable, baseball bat is not. Though she 'got away' with it?
                    I think a bat is OK, as long as it is done 'humanely.' Like klonk the head, render it insensible the apply the coup de grace.

Is hunting pigs with dogs and knives humane??? No. The dogs grab the pig's ears and the 'hunter' slits the throat. I would rather a head shot with a .30 cal or better.

Peafowl are incredibly obnoxiously noisy like Coqui frogs, but I haven't heard of anyone wishing the frogs be left alone. Have you?
                    They spray them with citric acid, which cause extreme pain as their skin sloughs off and they are exposed to the elements. Kinda like skinning a human to kill them. PETA, where are you?

Killing anything before it's time unless in pain is inhumane no matter what.
                    Even a delicious pig. IMO
                    You are a vegetarian? Store-bought meat is alleged to be brought up in inhumane conditions.

That said I really don't care if peafowl, frogs, or pigs are killed. No big deal to me.
                    OK - communication clear. One look at my teeth will tell you that biologically, at least, I am an omnivore. But I do make exceptions on the basis of taste

Humans rule! Though badly at times.
                    At times????? Heh, heh.....
                    ~ ~

Comment

You are a vegetarian? Store-bought meat is alleged to be brought up in inhumane conditions.

I'm not vegetarian (I saw the communication clear part also).
                      I agree that most raised animals are grown and slaughtered inhumanely,
                      But I gotta eat...

Comment

On the subject of animal cruelty....

In chicken farms across the country, male chicks are routinely destroyed because they're not as profitable as female chicks. They will never lay eggs and don't plump up fast enough to be harvested profitably for meat. The chicken farm in this video (warning: graphic!) disposes of the male chicks by dumping them in a grinder while still alive. These killing methods are standard in the industry.

It would be inhuman not to consider this cruel, but apparently, it's perfectly legal.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          On the subject of animal cruelty....

In chicken farms across the country, male chicks are routinely destroyed because they're not as profitable as female chicks. They will never lay eggs and don't plump up fast enough to be harvested profitably for meat. The chicken farm in this video (warning: graphic!) disposes of the male chicks by dumping them in a grinder while still alive. These killing methods are standard in the industry.

It would be inhuman not to consider this cruel, but apparently, it's perfectly legal.
                          Sad. Evidently PETA, SPCA and others either turn a blind eye or realize it's a fight they can't win. I can't imagine they are unaware.

I guess we all pick our fights. Ones we can win and ones we either will lose or will be too tough to win.

Why is it that I equate this video with abortion? I'm not sure. I support abortion rights, but when I see the live chicks being dumped into the grinder, it gets me. Maybe my social programming is too deep.?

I get it.

It's also inhumane to terminate the life of an unborn human child; foetuses are already starting their human development, and it's wrong to terminate them. So many people want to adopt. My wife and I adopted, and we were lucky to find an available child.

No, I won't adopt chicks, but my support from now on will be "Adoption, not abortion" leaning, at least.
                          ~ ~

Comment

Probably not, I don't know but...

I wonder if the Peacocks could be caught and sent to zoos around the world at enough money to make the program worth it?

Comment

Working...
                            X