Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

I'd noticed it before, and yesterday I went back to check it out and make sure. It's real.

Recently I put a compass in my car. I drive H-3 regularly and recently, coming out of the H-3 tunnel townbound, I noticed my compass gyrating wildly. I'd never seen it do that before.

Yesterday I wasn't in a hurry, the road was clear and I paid close attention:

A few hundred feet out of the tunnel the compass started swinging back and forth, from SW to NE and back and past, even spinning completely around a few times, and for a while holding steadily to North (even though I was NOT going North at that point) before going back to 'normal' about a quarter mile past the tunnel.

I didn't measure exact start and stop points - I'll try to do that today, tie it to mile markers or reference points.

I've heard of such magnetic anomalies before, but this is the first one I've ever seen. I know they can be caused by large deposits of magnetic ore, and sometimes microwave emissions, and sometimes we just don't know why.

Naturally I thought about the heiau complex buried under the expressway - silly me! I know better than that!

Anyone else know anything about this? Have you experienced it?

Spooky!

K%
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Magnetic Anomaly - H-3

Huh. I'm going to try it with the compass in my iPhone, which uses microwave triangulation instead of magnets.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Try carrying some pork and travel that area at midnight and see what happens!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Try carrying some pork and travel that area at midnight and see what happens!
        What!
        You like me bettah make oh whut?

(Clueless: reference "Pork over the Pali" iff you no unnastan!)

OoooooWheeeeeOoooooooh!

(K) hiding his da kine....
        ~ ~

Comment

Tonight, from the 3 mile marker (2 miles from the tunnel, PH to WW) it started again. Said I was going West, spun around, back and forth.

Within sight of the tunnel it stopped,and started indicating East again.

Either it's magnetic bu9ilding materials or microwaves or... ???
          ~ ~

Comment

i would think its the.......... ???????
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I don't have solutions or explainations as to why it's happen but I would ask the following questions.

Since you mention this happens if you are going townbound on the H-3, does it also happen if:
              1. You go Windward bound (or is that Kaneohe bound) on the H-3?
              2. You take the Likelike Highway instead of the H-3 and this happens when you go thru the Wilson Tunnels (in either direction)?
              3. Does this also happens if you take Pali Highway and it happens when you go thru the Pali Tunnels (again in either direction)?

Comment

About 1/8 mile from the tunnel entrance on the town side, my iPhone compass went nuts.

But I was wrong about iPhone compasses. They are actually magnetic.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Do any of you know if the Omega Station below in Haiku valley is still in operation? If so, that's gotta' be the cause of this "Magnetic Anomaly".

I remember going up there back in the 80's to sign-in to climb "Stairway to Heaven", and there were signs posted outside in the parking lot in front of the station that read "HIGH VOLTAGE. SERIOUS ELECTRICAL SHOCK RISK". Something to that effect.

One of the Coast Guard officers working there told us if you were to touch the flag pole outside barefooted, you'd COOK from an over 240,000 volt jolt (or some crazy 6-figure voltage). YOW!

There were these pretty loud audible RF signals with changing pitch (like an old tube TV, IIRC) that pierced through the air right around the station parking lot.

The Kaneohe Omega Station is a fascinating communications engineering concept.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I heard someone buried a Ouija board during the construction of H-3.

Comment

I should have read that entire facts page I linked to, which says:
                      The Omega Station went through a decommissioning ceremony and shut down 30 September 1997.
                      Well, even though the Omega Station is no longer in operation, perhaps all those decades of "charging" that valley with high voltage electricity has left a residual charge in the rocks to this day, causing this Magnetic Anomaly?

Since the Omega Station was decommisioned, did they remove this?:

The underground grid system covers almost 70 acres and consists of buried copper mesh, rods, and wires.
                      That alone could be affecting the magnetic poles in the area, right?

Oh shoots, now the "desperate" are gonna' go digging around Haiku valley for the buried copper "treasure"!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        I heard someone buried a Ouija board during the construction of H-3.

*sigh*
                        I'm busted...

Comment

Copper by itself is non-magentic. When you wrap it around an iron object and apply an electric current to the copper then you get an electromagnet.

It might have something to do with the tunnels themselves.

Comment

I observed my iPhone compass during the drive to work this morning, and I witnessed the same magntic anomaly. First of all, I'd like to say that the compass in my iPhone isn't a very good one. Sometimes it has a consistient (but unpredictable) amount of error and sometimes the amount of error varies depending on the orientation of the phone. That said, the anomaly Kaonohi discovered is still very odd.

My experience seemed to be a little different. While I was driving through the anomaly, my compass was oscillating between between two consistient headings about 90° apart. The oddest thing about it was that the movement seemed very controlled. It was very regular and had a frequency of a little more than 1Hz. Maybe 1.5Hz. The movement was not random at all, and it never did a full 360° spin.

It seems unlikely that The Anomaly is related to the Omega Station since it occurs in the Halawa Valley side of the tunnels and the Omega Station was on the Haiku Valley side.

Comment

I remember when the H-3 first opened up, I had a rather eerie feeling driving on it. This feeling subsided as time went by. I've ruled out my imagination, because personal experience in these matters tell me otherwise. Since human occupation influences an environment, I tend to believe unseen forces do make way for the living.

A friend told me last week he had a headache and ear ringing while on the H-3 approaching the Marine Corps Base, near where there's a look-out area to Kaneohe Bay. He said he never had that before. I suggested that maybe the military was doing exercises with sonar equipment, and asked him if he was part whale.

Comment

Working...
                              X