Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Other Popeyes

Originally posted by jasonzzz
    Anyone tried Chick'fila, Kenny Roger's roasters, or Boston Market on the mainland?
    Chick Fil-A, though its name is the stupidest thing ever, is quite good! And its owners are HUGE supporters of my alma mater. Did you know that all the Chick Fil-A stores are closed on Sundays so the employees are free to go to church?

Boston Market: Very, very, very good. That stuff does not taste like fast food.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

I LOVE Chik-Fil-A. I always try to get one when I'm on the mainland. I also think Boston Market is very good for a family traveling and have to eat a meal out. Hits the spot: good food that almost tastes homemade.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Other Popeyes

Originally posted by lavagal
        It was called Church's. Then it became Subaru. I don't know how tasty the Subaru is, though!
        Aaah. I do stand corrected. Church's had good chicken too. Same for Kahaluu's Pioneer Chicken. They also had fish and chips on their menu. Must be a senior moment. Me thinks the Piikoi location was it's downfall. At certain times, it was just plain nasty trying to get in or out of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          I really like Zippy's fried chicken. It has the perfect balance of seasonings, without being over-battered, with the perfect crunch. Can't go wrong with the Chili/Chicken combo.

In fact, if you like Zippy's fried chicken, you can buy the exact same seasoned flour in 5 lb. bags at Y Hata distributors on Sand Island Access Rd. Simply roll 'em in the flour and deep fry da' buggahz GBD.. winnahz!
          Good to have that option to cook our own. IMO, most Zippy's overcook their chicken till it's leather. Wahiawa Zippys seems to be notorious for that. I complained to the waitress and she told us that she gets complaints everyday. So the chicken is still overcooked. If we just gotta have Zippys fried chicken, we go to Mililani or Waipio now.

Comment

Please stop talking about Y. Hata/MidCity Restaurant Supply's retail store on Sand Island Access Rd., the Web site of which can be found at yhata.com for store hours, driving directions, etc.
            ... and where great deals on all-kine stuff, esp. for your cooking/party/entertaining needs can be found.
            I want it to remain "my little secret."

Per a pre-Christmas Star-Bulletin story, there are also other restaurant supply stores that are open to the public. It was part of a series in our Features section ... maybe kitchen gadgets would be a good search term. Sorry I don't have the specific URL.
            Last edited by Erika Engle; June 3, 2006, 09:52 AM. Reason: Adding detail
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle

Please stop talking about Y. Hata/MidCity Restaurant Supply's retail store on Sand Island Access Rd., the Web site of which can be found at yhata.com for store hours, driving directions, etc.
              ... and where great deals on all-kine stuff, esp. for your cooking/party/entertaining needs can be found.
              I want it to remain "my little secret."
              This is good stuff to know. I had somehow always been under the impression that Y. Hata, whose office and warehouse used to be located at Fort Armstrong back behind the old Gold Bond Building, was a wholesale-only grocery distribution outfit. This was also a company whose management seemed to be quite frugal in the way of buying any new equipment for moving their frieight, such as flatbed trucks and forklifts which dated back to the 40's and 50's, as they kept on repairing (they had a small repair shop run by two local Japanese WWII-era mechanics) the antiquated machinery instead of buying anything new. I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.
                I don't know how long ago you worked there ... I also don't know exactly how long they've had the retail operation, but it has been at least a few years.

I've got a few frying pans and other cookware/utensils from there; some have all-metal handles, but they also sell these "sleeves" that are like oven-mitts for the panhandle ... I purchased a super-large, super-inexpensive "woven wood" salad bowl from there that my friend coveted for a long time. Last time I went, they had 'em back in stock, so I bought her one. She was thrilled. It's a great store, but it's only open til noon on Sat. and closed on Sun.

Okay -- Popeye's Chicken. Red beans and rice. Yummy biscuits. Back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  This is good stuff to know. I had somehow always been under the impression that Y. Hata, whose office and warehouse used to be located at Fort Armstrong back behind the old Gold Bond Building, was a wholesale-only grocery distribution outfit. This was also a company whose management seemed to be quite frugal in the way of buying any new equipment for moving their frieight, such as flatbed trucks and forklifts which dated back to the 40's and 50's, as they kept on repairing (they had a small repair shop run by two local Japanese WWII-era mechanics) the antiquated machinery instead of buying anything new. I remember all this because I used to tow and haul their equipment for them whenever they broke down. Dang, I wish I knew they sold retail back then.

Be careful when you buy actual food at this place. Buggy! I've found so much infestation there, that I no longer buy edibles!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal

Be careful when you buy actual food at this place. Buggy! I've found so much infestation there, that I no longer buy edibles!
                    Wow, that's also good to know. Mahalo, LG!

Comment

Wow - I've not had that experience.

FYI, I posted links to the story about the other restaurant supply stores and another one about kitchen gadgets (and alternatives) from the hardware store -- in a more appropriate thread.

Comment

They have a Popeye's Express at the Naval Exchange which I found out the other day non-military can buy food at any food court store, they even have a I Love Country Express place as well. Its all new, neat and clean so I will go back there again. However, you cannot shop there if you are non-military.

There is as noted a Popeye's in Wahiawa and in Kalihi on Dillingham. They also opened a Popeye's Express in Waipahu near the Sizzler and there is also one inside the Waikiki Trade Center that is an Express as well. I have heard Popeye's will be expanding here as well.

Also the Popeye's near Ala Moana was open even in the early 90's as I saw a commercial circa 1990-91 on an old videotape of mine.

As for Wendy's they are building a new one near Aloha Stadium (what is it with building all of these Wendy's near freeways??). Wendy's is also expanding here as well, I saw an ad they are opening one in Millilani and Wapio Gentry I think. I dont know what happened to the supposed Wendy's near Kahala Mall. The empty lot seems perfect for a Wendy's and again its near yet another freeway. They used to have one downtown about 10-15 years ago.

I, too would like a Wendy's in town somewhere. I wish Ala Moana foodcourt would have more mainland fast food restaurants like a Wendy's or Popeye's Express, I know the tourists would love it. But I have no problem with the local food they serve there either, just would like more variety and/or choices I guess.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy

There is as noted a Popeye's in Kalihi on Dillingham.
                          which looks all bus. sign is broken. dun look appetizing.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-...200600990.html

I'm not voting for Popeye's Chicken Sandwich if it tastes like their chicken tenders.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...1ca391f08de560

Will their chicken sandwich be hyped like the ramen burger?

Comment

Popeyes Is Giving Away Free Chicken Sandwiches for a Full Week (msn.com)

You want me to hold the chicken.

Comment

Working...
                                X