Isn't construction actually good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't construction actually good?

Don't get me wrong, I miss the way (Oahu) Hawaii used to be. In the last 10+ years, the construction boom have just gone wild. I get the resentment. How the state bird is the steel crane. Hawaii is a special place and I would be a person that would tell people that you can "feel" the spirit of the aina.

Anyhow, but isn't construction a good thing? For some, for many? Doesn't it create jobs? $$$ in the economy? True, not everything is about money. But it is for the local guy that need to feed his family and afford his house.

Those who hate development have a louder voice. Those who benefit from it often remain quiet. Why is that? Is it because it's not PC?

The (sad) thing is we can not turn back time.

What do you think? Is this a legit point?

Re: Isn't construction actually good?

it's not good the way they've done it.
    and it doesn't provide too many jobs or spur our economy all that much.
    Oahu could have been the model example to lead the world in myriad ways yet has failed every time.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
      isn't construction a good thing? For some, for many? Doesn't it create jobs? $$$ in the economy? True, not everything is about money. But it is for the local guy that need to feed his family and afford his house.

Those who hate development have a louder voice. Those who benefit from it often remain quiet. Why is that? Is it because it's not PC?
      Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      it's not good the way they've done it.
      and it doesn't provide too many jobs or spur our economy all that much.
      Oahu could have been the model example to lead the world in myriad ways yet has failed every time.
      Ron Whitfield nails it big time. HART is the perfect example of how developers have failed Hawai‘i — to its utmost detriment. You have to ask yourself how an island with barely a million people would ever need rail transit. And so desperately that we would settle for ancient technology — “steel-on-steel” — because it was somehow cheaper that way. $9.1 billion later, we’ve learned how utterly false that was.

The answer is the FAILURE of developers to deliver on promises of a “Second City.” That second city was SUPPOSED to be Mililani. A master-planned urban center with its own city hall. Its own judiciary. Its own “downtown.” But it never happened. Sure people have their excuses. It was the “red dirt,” right?

Now they’ve been touting Kapolei. Excuse me, but if this “second city” is ever going to happen, a train into town is like throwing in the towel! It’s like saying, well, we HOPE Kapolei will work. But we don’t really CARE if it does. We’re building this train on the assumption that Kapolei will be just another bedroom community. Like Mililani.

And while we’re at it, we have cabanalane to sell you “transit-oriented-development.” Which basically means even MORE residential development — NOT major business and industrial hubs of employment. Whatever. As long as the lion’s share of cash ends up in the developer’s pockets, right? Sad.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        As long as the lion’s share of cash ends up in the developer’s pockets, right? Sad.
        There will always be someone at the top of the food chain. Let's leave him out (foreign, domestic, or local). Isn't there a lot being trickle down? So it all depends on which side of the fence on stands on.

Back in the 70s, I have a few classmates from 6th grade that got accepted to Kamehameha. Some did not. Those who did, and later graduated, felt it was the greatest thing, even today. Those who did not get accepted, felt this Bishop Estate/K. School is all BS (and not out to help out the Hawaiians). Two different opinions of the same thing.

BTW, I have no horse in this race. Just wondering if the "popular" opinions are rather "one sided."

Comment

There will always be someone at the top of the food chain. Let's leave him out (foreign, domestic, or local). Isn't there a lot being trickle down? So it all depends on which side of the fence on stands on.
          sure, but those few at the top and getting rich off this or any other mess don't care what side of the fence they're on, it all leads straight to the bank. and no, there is virtually 0 trickle down, IF you're talking about money or any other possible benefits to the non-union working Joe, otherwise it's the same old story of getting trickled on. and we're drowning in it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            sure, but those few at the top and getting rich off this or any other mess don't care what side of the fence they're on, it all leads straight to the bank. and no, there is virtually 0 trickle down, IF you're talking about money or any other possible benefits to the non-union working Joe, otherwise it's the same old story of getting trickled on. and we're drowning in it now.
            Haha! I love your innuendo, Ron. So true! The banks and other “top of the food chain” types have been in this shibai from Day 1. Did the “Kapolei Chamber of Commerce” pay Nestor Garcia more than the he was getting paid to be a city councilman? Yep. Did he make sure they got everything they wanted? Yep. Did the Ethics Commission fine Garcia $6,500 — the largest fine in history — for his conflict-of-interest? Yep. Does Kirk Caldwell get paid more from Territorial Savings than he gets paid to be mayor? Yep. It goes on and on.

Ron Whitfield, TuNnL and all you peasants need not apply. We can only smile and shake our head as cabanalane plays “apologist” for developers and contractors. Carry on, of course.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Yes, construction is good; it's not only good it's wonderful, admirable and necessary. However, in the long run it's not the healthiest profession—it's hard on muscles, joints, backs, etc. Daily it generates physical fatigue (as opposed to a service job). True service generates aliveness and energy to bring home to share with the neighborhood and family. Anyone who masters service is always honored and cared for by the community.

I'm in favor of shifting our dependence on shipping to complete food self-sufficiency. Ideally, to shift Hawaii's economy from tourism to serving retirees (a most perfect award for a lifetime of service). Mo green, yes? Families worldwide would still be touring to visit their retired parents. Not to worry—I don't see it as an idea whose time has come, today.

I'd like to have developers survey everyone in their proposed project's community and get their support for any project; builders/developers would have to present a favorable survey before they submit applications, etc..

With aloha, Kerry
              Communication-Skills Tutorial for Teachers

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry View Post
                Yes, construction is good; it's not only good it's wonderful, admirable and necessary. However, in the long run it's not the healthiest profession—it's hard on muscles, joints, backs, etc. Daily it generates physical fatigue (as opposed to a service job). True service generates aliveness and energy to bring home to share with the neighborhood and family. Anyone who masters service is always honored and cared for by the community.
                I'm in favor of shifting our dependence on shipping to complete food self-sufficiency. Ideally, to shift Hawaii's economy from tourism to serving retirees (a most perfect award for a lifetime of service). Mo green, yes? Families worldwide would still be touring to visit their retired parents. Not to worry—I don't see it as an idea whose time has come, today.
                I'd like to have developers survey everyone in their proposed project's community and get their support for any project; builders/developers would have to present a favorable survey before they submit applications, etc..
                With aloha, Kerry
                Hawaii has always had everything in it's favor for business and everything you could name. of course it was completely corrupted once Statehood opened the doors for $$$ to overwhelm our little society and the public was immediately ignored except to exploit. the golden rule still applies, those with the gold write the rules.
                hemp was the best thing Hawaii could have ever invested in, we'd all be swimming in luxury had they emphasized that gold mine.

Comment

Working...
                X