KFC is getting cheap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KFC is getting cheap.

We gave up on KFC ages ago. After eating their chicken, our tongues feel like they've been pickled and our fingers look like greasy bangers. Way too much salt and way too much grease. I thought maybe it was just the Wahiawa store, but we tried the Mililani store and it was the same. The only thing I miss is the nostalgia as we used to eat the stuff at least twice a month, small kid time.

For our chicken and biscuits, we go to the Popeye's on Schofield. For us, they're chicken is better and their biscuits aren't bad either. Also, they don't charge tax so the meals are that much less expensive than outside, the nearest Popeye's being in Waipahu. Heaven forbid they run out of biscuits on Schofield.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
      when did they start offering biscuits? I have eaten at kfc for awhile and was just used to the biscuits I had forgotten about the rolls.
      KFC might have started putting biscuits in a response to the biscuits of Popeye's chicken.

Comment

The Kapiolani KFC also had a sign saying about the biscuits being unavailable until August 24. As things go this is temporary. In any event I went to KFC today for dinner and another patron attempt to order 4 biscuits only to be told they had dinner rolls instead at which that person changed their mind and left.

Also noticed that they were using dinner rolls from Loves Bakery.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          The Kapiolani KFC also had a sign saying about the biscuits being unavailable until August 24. As things go this is temporary.
          It may be temporary, but it is troubling.

First of all, it appears that the unavailability of biscuits is islandwide, not just one or two locations.

Secondly, the biscuits aren't some dessert or lesser-ordered menu item. They are a staple and used as a side dish in most (if not all) of their combos. This would be equivalent to McDonald's suddenly running out of french fries at all of their restaurants.

I just think it is very strange for KFC Hawaii to suddenly not order enough biscuit mix for their restaurants and to have them substituting rolls instead. Is anyone aware of a recent surge in KFC's business that would give an innocent explaination for the biscuit shortage? Hmmm. I agree with the original poster. This smacks of cheapness and cutting-corners on the part of KFC Hawaii/Kazi.

Originally posted by helen View Post
          In any event I went to KFC today for dinner and another patron attempt to order 4 biscuits only to be told they had dinner rolls instead at which that person changed their mind and left.
          Good for them! I wish all KFC patrons would give the same response,.... or at the very least, ask for extra rolls in lieu of having no biscuits. That's the only way the management of Kazi Foods will get the message that short-changing their customers is not the way to cut costs in doing business.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            I just think it is very strange for KFC Hawaii to suddenly not order enough biscuit mix for their restaurants and to have them substituting rolls instead. Is anyone aware of a recent surge in KFC's business that would give an innocent explaination for the biscuit shortage? Hmmm. I agree with the original poster. This smacks of cheapness and cutting-corners on the part of KFC Hawaii/Kazi.
            Totally agree.
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

This topic brings to mind an idea KFC ought to consider: offering KFC "kits" in the grocery stores. Similar to how you can buy Taco Bell® brand shells, seasoning packets, sauce and baked beans right there in the Mexican section at your local supermarket (last I checked, Don Quijote had it).

In KFC's "kits", they could offer KFC's original or extra-crispy batter in dry form, where you just add water (and/or whatever else it requires), your favorite pieces of chicken and deep fry in the comfort of your own kitchen. For the sides, offer their signature brown gravy and mash potato in another "just add water and butter" kit, along with packets of dressing to make their coleslaw (just add sliced/chopped cabbage and carrots), while in the freezer section you can get their signature biscuits in frozen vacuum-packed canisters (like the Pillsbury stuff); simply add to pan and bake, again in the comfort in your own home.

That should be a challenging project for KFC's food scientists to get it (tasting) right.

The only obstacle would be the risk someone could figure out KFC's "11 secret herbs and spices" if they had the dry batter mix in their possession. Also cost: these kits would have to be economically more feasible than simply driving to the local KFC where it's already made.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                I gots the answer for this one...I went through the drivethru at Mililani last week....there was a sign taped to the microphone...no biscuits until the new shipment of biscuit mix (or whatever )comes in 8/24.

I hated to tell them that Walmart sells flour, salt and shortening...they could make their own. Costco sells BIG boxes of Bisquick--recipe right on the box.

I was so looking forward to the biscuits, had to make some this week.
                Heh.

Many mainland-based food chains like KFC rely on ready-made food products shipped to them from their manufacturing plants. It's to distinguish between a KFC biscuit as opposed to a Costco biscuit. The same applies to their chicken recipe (as opposed to a store-bought Banquet brand version).
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  This topic brings to mind an idea KFC ought to consider: offering KFC "kits" in the grocery stores.
                  A problem might be is that it takes too long to cook chicken. I thought Shake n Bake chicken was an eternity to make.

Comment

Bwaaaahahahahahahaaaaaa! I got it!! I have a mainland friend fedex me 20 dozen KFC biscuits, then sell them outside KFCs, with an added surcharge for convenience and shipping costs. I could make, like, forty bucks!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Secondly, the biscuits aren't some dessert or lesser-ordered menu item. They are a staple and used as a side dish in most (if not all) of their combos.
                      Popeye's has Cajun rice. Why isn't there a rice choice at KFC? That's why I order takeout at KFC and cook the rice at home.

Comment

Anyone go get biscuits today??

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The Kapiolani KFC is still selling dinner rolls. One worker said they have no idea when the biscuits will be available.

Comment

I won't eat at KFC until biscuits are available. In fact, knowing about this lack-of-biscuit situation saved me time. I went to Church's to pick up their honey butter biscuits to take to a potluck without having to stop at KFC first to find out they don't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by PBatoon View Post
                              Sorry, but a dinner roll does not equal a biscuit. Lol yeah. I guess I'm pretty salty. I was bummed they didnt have the mac & cheese either. Its another side I get while I'm in the mainland for school.
                              I would think that the KFCs in the south would have grits.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                I would think that the KFCs in the south would have grits.
                                If grits are the "instant" kind (like mashed potatoes/oatmeal), they don't taste that good. KFC'd have to have a machine that stirs it constantly at the right time, and I'm not sure that there's enough of an audience to justify serving it. I love grits with cheese, but it's not a traditional accompaniment to fried chicken. KFC doesn't serve breakfast food--yet--if it ever starts, then I'd be very curious to see their version of grits on the menu!

Comment

Working...
                                X