Flying Interisland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flying Interisland

The longest runway at Molokai's airport is just short of 4,500 feet. So yes, when a Boeing 737 or 717 landed there, the moment the wheels touch the pavement, the pilot has to throw the engines into reverse thrust. This is done to rapidly slow the plane down before they run out of space at the other end. I think a fully loaded jet could never land nor takeoff from the islands' shorter runways... so they would fly not at full capacity. Because of that and other factors, the 2 major airlines, Hawaiian and Aloha have discontinued flights to both Molokai and Lanai. Hawaiian last flew to Molokai in August 2004.

Long ago Hawaiian Airlines used to fly their DC9 jets into Waimea-Kohala airport on the Big Island. The runway there is only 5,100 feet long. A landing in Waimea was the same as it was on Molokai. Jet reversed thrust all the way to the end.

Today Island Air is the major island hopper to Hawaii's smaller airports. Several other smaller air taxi and charter airlines fly to these small airports too. Most notable is Pacific Wings. All of these little airlines fly prop planes into these airports. Prop planes can handle the smaller runways better than the jets.

New airline Fly Hawaii will use turboprop planes.. the ATR 72.

Links:

http://www.hawaiianair.com
    http://www.alohaair.com
    http://www.islandair.com
    http://www.pacificwings.com
    http://www.flyhawaii.com
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Eh Muilang,
      Thanx 4 Da Comment, Now I Stay Good No Moa Sked.. I Get Ohana Live Mkk.
      Jus Wen Like Let You Ohana Out Dea No. Last Time I Wen Fly In To Mkk Wuz
      On Da Aloha Island Air Dash-6... Now Days Mo Betta Take The Ferry Cause
      To Much Kala The Airlines Stay Like.... Anyway Wey Back Wen... We Use To Fly From Ogg To Hnl Along The North Coast Of Mkk. On Hal Wuz On Da Convairs, On Aloha Wuz On The F-27s, I Neva Get To Fly Da Viscounts...
      Any Ways B-4 The Jet-props Use To Take These Routes To Hnl, Just As The Smaller Prop Planes Going To Mkk Do Now. Along Came The Jet Age And That Was It For Flightseeing.....
      Now Days No Blink Your Maka Or You Wen Miss.......aaaalllloooohhhhaaaaa
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
        Eh Muilang,
        Thanx 4 Da Comment, Now I Stay Good No Moa Sked.. I Get Ohana Live Mkk.
        Jus Wen Like Let You Ohana Out Dea No. Last Time I Wen Fly In To Mkk Wuz
        On Da Aloha Island Air Dash-6... Now Days Mo Betta Take The Ferry Cause
        To Much Kala The Airlines Stay Like.... Anyway Wey Back Wen... We Use To Fly From Ogg To Hnl Along The North Coast Of Mkk. On Hal Wuz On Da Convairs, On Aloha Wuz On The F-27s, I Neva Get To Fly Da Viscounts...
        Any Ways B-4 The Jet-props Use To Take These Routes To Hnl, Just As The Smaller Prop Planes Going To Mkk Do Now. Along Came The Jet Age And That Was It For Flightseeing.....
        Now Days No Blink Your Maka Or You Wen Miss.......aaaalllloooohhhhaaaaa
        Hala e! Good fun was watching da peeps getting off/on da Moloka'i Princess at K'kai one time. Ho da beeeg kine boxes and coolers lidat dey wen go carry on board, yeah? Next time we go holoholo K'kai (I usually stay go Maui), maybe I go take da Moloka'i Princess, too. I bet good fun when da boat go cross da channel, yeah? All kine rocka rocka foa shuah going get seasick!

Das true about da flying next to da cliffs wen go Hoolehua, though. Man, Halawa side, ho da big da mountains and da cliffs stay look! Look jess like Jurassic Park (and almost scary lidat to get to Halawa side on dat kapakahi manini kine road coming from K'kai).

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah mo betta next time chance-um on da ferry. Small kine rocka rocka wen u enter the mkk channel. But yeah only funny 4 watch da kin stuffs come off. I mean talk about wen buy ou K-MART, WAL-MART AND COSTCO.. some good yeah.... Oh but the ohana`s ova dea, day get`um.... sssssoooooo much ALOHA!!!!!!!! AND DAT WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT....
          BUT fo real miss that secenic view of HALAWA side going island hopping during hana budda days..... oggboy
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
            Yeah mo betta next time chance-um on da ferry. Small kine rocka rocka wen u enter the mkk channel. But yeah only funny 4 watch da kin stuffs come off. I mean talk about wen buy ou K-MART, WAL-MART AND COSTCO.. some good yeah.... Oh but the ohana`s ova dea, day get`um.... sssssoooooo much ALOHA!!!!!!!! AND DAT WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT....
            BUT fo real miss that secenic view of HALAWA side going island hopping during hana budda days..... oggboy
            Eh, das why dey go call Moloka'i da "Friendly Island", yeah? Da peeps so "real" not dakine shibai kine friendly. Wen see da Purdy MacFarm and da buggah was selling one bumpa sticka someting go like "Come visit friendly Moloka'i, spend your money and leave". Hahahaha! Too bad too many high mucka mucka kine peeps wit da kala buying up everyting and trying foa change da 'aina. You know if da ahupua'a dat has Ili'iliopae heiau still stay foa sale or wat? Das da one McAfee was going buy but wen change his mind...

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I not sure if stay 4 sale. What I read in the pepa was, the bugga wen change his mind about buying the place.... As why hard wen dis guys come ova and like make pilikia with the people and the aina....
              Like the term goes.....KEEP HAWAII GREEN BUT NO FOGET TO GO HOME
              OGGBOY
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Fare War Reduces Prices for Interisland Travel

Not since the days of flight coupons have interisland air fares been this low, and consumers are benefiting from a fare war that has pushed round-trip prices below $90.

The catch is that the fares are only good on the first early-morning flight from Honolulu and the last evening flight back from the neighbor islands.

Still, the response has been "extremely good," said Hawaiian Airlines spokesman Patrick Dugan.

Aloha Airlines spokesman Stu Glauberman said, "The 39.50 fares have proven very popular. People are willing to get up early or stay out late on neighbor islands."

"If it's cheap like this, I'm coming every other weekend," said Maui resident Thomas Takeshita, 28, whose girlfriend is finishing school on Oahu in May.

Aloha Airlines had initially offered free return trips on interisland travel to AlohaPass members flying on the first flights out of Honolulu to Kona, Hilo, Kahului or Lihue and last flights in to Honolulu from those locations.

Glauberman explained Aloha was trying to stimulate the early and late flights, which are not as popular.

Hawaiian Airlines swung back with a $38.25 fare in a full-page ad. The Hawaiian deal gave customers the option of using the discount for one leg of a trip. But the Hawaiian rate does not include a $2.50 security fee, bringing the total to $40.75.
                Read entire article at link posted above.

So is anyone taking advantage of these lower fares?

Hopefully with more competition in the marketplace by next year, we can see further reduction in fares between the neighbor islands.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  Yeah the Molokai landing by a big jet can be the highlight of your Molokai stay. Oh then there's the take offs!
                  the 717 is a big jet? If you like Molokai you'll love Lanai! Both our local jet operators go in there on a charter basis. Maybe you'll get lucky one day.
                  GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Here are a few pics that I shot today as I flew out of HNL and to ITO on HA.

World famous Diamond Head crater from up high.

East Oahu view and Hanauma Bay.

Interisland Airways charter plane parked at Hilo Airport.

Photos are taken from my album at Flickr.com
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

With the demise of Aloha Airlines passenger business, everyone can safely say that the fare war started by Go! airlines 2 years ago is long over.

Today for the 3rd time this year, Hawaiian Airlines increased their interisland airfares. Go's airfare is at $59 for the cheapest seat. Hawaiian will go toe $64 soon. Those cheap seats are hard to find as most range from $64 to $94 each way.

We are back to 2004 again folks, which is why I am bumping this thread.

So what are you doing (if anything) about interisland travel? I know for sure I will be flying less. It's cheaper to stay home these days and not even drive for leisure purposes since gas prices are high everywhere.

From today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

Hawaiian Air lifts fares as fuel costs fly higher

Hawaiian Airlines, citing higher fuel costs, said yesterday it will boost its lowest one-way fare for interisland flights by $10 and raise its fuel surcharge for mainland travel by $35 each way.

Both increases, which take effect Tuesday, mean that Hawaiian's lowest interisland fare will increase to $64, while mainland-Hawaii travelers will see the one-way fuel surcharge go to $100 from $65. For most of Hawaiian's non-U.S. routes, the fuel-surcharge increase will range from $35 to $55 each way.

Go's lowest advertised price yesterday was $59.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

No surprise given that oil hit $135 a barrel. Anyone think airships for interisland will work?

Comment

I suspect not. I think ships would be more practical to travel between the islands than airships.

Comment

But they go faster than the superferry and won't hit whales.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              We are back to 2004 again folks, which is why I am bumping this thread...

...So what are you doing (if anything) about interisland travel?
                              Probably what we did back in 2004 regarding family trips. It was just about as cheap to travel to the mainland as interisland, so we would forgo interisland travel and save up for a mainland family vacation.

When the interisland airfares were down to $9 and $18/19, it spelled doom. There was no way the airlines could afford to fly at those fares. Now, we are going to suffer for it. (Well, we won't be suffering on an Aloha Airlines flight, will we? )
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                So what are you doing (if anything) about interisland travel? I know for sure I will be flying less. It's cheaper to stay home these days and not even drive for leisure purposes since gas prices are high everywhere.

We have to go to Oahu in August. We're going to try the ferry.
                                Last edited by helen; May 23, 2008, 01:25 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag

Comment

Working...
                                X