Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you normally stay if you island hop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you normally stay if you island hop?

Hello!

I'm just wondering, if you're island hopping, where do you normally stay for lodging? To say specifically Oahu or Maui? Or the big island?

I'm trying to plan a short stay to Oahu from Molokai and just trying to save money so I can make more trips (hotel costs add up).

Opinions?

(Oh, and if anybody has a couch or a guestroom in Oahu, please let me know)

Re: Where do you normally stay if you island hop?

I normally do Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Resort in Hilo or Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Resort in Kona. It's not the cheapest; in fact, I know a good B&B in Hilo that was $45 per night the last time I stayed there and was pretty good.

On Kauai, I stay at the Tip Top. The rooms are like cinderblock prison cells, but they're clean cinderblock prison cells.

On Maui, it's almost always the Maui Seaside. Not the cheapest either, but pretty dang cheap.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The last time I went to Kauai I stayed at the Kauai Sands hotel out in Kapa'a.

Big Island - Um, my Mom's place in Honokaa; my friend's place in Hilo and also in Hilo, the Hilo Seaside Hotel.... Kona, I haven't stayed in a long time. Cheaper to drive back to Honokaa!

Oahu - Um I live here...

Maui - Long time ago I stayed at the Maui Palms.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

While I do live in Oahu I did book a room at the Pagoda Hotel for a family member a few years ago.

Its located a few blocks from the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Web site for the hotel is at: http://www.pagodahotel.com/

Comment

Oooo, I like these recommendations! Thanks!

Comment

on Oahu, I second the Pagoda Hotel ...close to so many things!

Comment

The last time I stayed at the Pagoda, it was a nightmare. Not worth the bargain basement price. I actually went out to WalMart to get bug spray. Bug spray! I do understand the new management is stepping things up a bit, but it'll take a pretty good deal to overcome the horrifying memories...

The Big Island is my favorite island to visit, and a few years back we shifted from hotels to vacation rentals. Private homes rented out through a local property manager. We'd stay up in Volcano Village, usually on large lots far from neighbors. Ah, heaven.

Comment

Our favorite, when we hopped, was Kokee park on Kauai. Haven't been there for a long time. Downsides: had to reserve far in advance, isolated, primitive. Upsides: cheap, independent cabin, primitive, isolated, beautiful.
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  The last time I stayed at the Pagoda, it was a nightmare. Not worth the bargain basement price. I actually went out to WalMart to get bug spray. Bug spray! I do understand the new management is stepping things up a bit, but it'll take a pretty good deal to overcome the horrifying memories...

The Big Island is my favorite island to visit, and a few years back we shifted from hotels to vacation rentals. Private homes rented out through a local property manager. We'd stay up in Volcano Village, usually on large lots far from neighbors. Ah, heaven.
                  Wait what? What kind of bugs are in the room?

Comment

I may be totally wrong but I would guess bedbugs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsJoey View Post
                      Wait what? What kind of bugs are in the room?
                      Roaches, ants, and certainly some kind if biting insect in the beds. I should clarify that this was in the Pagoda tower across from the original hotel, which at the time was half long-term rentals and half hotel. It was a scary setup all around, but I imagine the new management and recent renovations have helped. It couldn't have gotten worse!

Comment

Ah yes, Pagoda Terrace, isn't that the building for 1 and 2 bedroom units?

If you are by yourself more than likely they would put you up in the main hotel building.

If I remember right the last time I booked the room was back in 2006 and it was in the main building.

Comment

Working...
                        X