Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Same-Sex Marriage 2013

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    But the legality issues are not over yet.
    Perhaps it is over now!
    From the StarAdvertiser:
    After hearing arguments for about an hour, Sakamoto [Circuit Court Judge Karl Sakamoto] said that while state Rep. Bob McDermott and others had standing to file their request to block the new marriage equality law, the state Legislature has the inherent authority to define marriage independent of a 1998 constitutional amendment that gave the Legislature the power to reserve marriage to heterosexual couples.
    "After all the legal complexities of the court's analysis, the court will conclude that same-sex marriage in Hawaii is legal," Sakamoto said.
    Molay [Deputy Attorney General John Molay] also argues that the 1998 constitutional amendment was "clear and unambiguous," giving the Legislature -- and not the Supreme Court -- the power to define marriage. The constitutional amendment did not, Molay contends, preclude the Legislature from later approving same-sex marriage.
    The state also defended ballot information sent to voters by the state Office of Elections at the time that stated that the constitutional amendment would give the Legislature the power to reserve marriage to heterosexual couples only. The word "only," Molay maintained, did not mean that the Legislature only had the power to reserve marriage to heterosexual couples, but could choose to regardless of the ruling by the Supreme Court.
    So, maybe if the legislators (in this case, McDermott) want to fall back on the wording of legislation to give them solid footing for appeals, etc, they need to be more careful in the first place that they put in the correct wording that supports their intent.

Sort of along the lines of when they write legislation that does not include a fully developed enforcement component. Why not do things thoroughly in the first place?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I live in Texas, surrounded by Republicans, and the vast majority of my peer group (early 30's) is supportive. In every discussion I've had with people, it's pretty much a case of, "Yeah, cool. Why not?"

AND I'm excited that two of my female friends from Oahu are getting married in March! Hopefully, I'll get to be there for it.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-judge-r...015855552.html

The judge didn't cockblock this.

Comment

Chapter 2:
          An appeal with a hearing set for Jan. 13

From the StarAdvertiser:
          With Hawaii poised to start issuing same-sex marriage licenses Monday, state Rep. Bob McDermott has filed a new motion in state Circuit Court looking to invalidate the state's new law legalizing such marriages.

The motion asks Judge Karl Sakamoto to reconsider the significance of Hawaii's 1998 constitutional amendment; McDermott argues that measure prevents the Legislature from expanding marriage to same-sex couples.
          "This is a serious issue, and we have case law and precedent on our side," McDermott said in a statement today announcing the motion. "We shall fully litigate this through the appeals process."

At issue (legal issue, not moral issue) in the appeal is whether the "1998 constitutional amendment was for the Legislature to reserve marriage to heterosexual couples", and if that amendment "restrict[s] the Legislature's separate authority".
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...7&ocid=answw11

What would Mandy say?

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/kim...ope/index.html

It's Kim Davis mania. She's bigger than the Beatles.

Comment

Working...
              X