Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is drinking old sodas bad?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Time to go get me an ol' soda, before I get too rusty.
    Yeah all this talk about fluid intake has gotten me thirsty.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This is just funny that you are discussing this topic here and I found an article on it today on the lifestyle section of AOL front page....

http://www.thatsfit.com/2006/09/11/h...ater-is-enough

Enjoy reading...
      Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
        This is just funny that you are discussing this topic here and I found an article on it today on the lifestyle section of AOL front page....

http://www.thatsfit.com/2006/09/11/h...ater-is-enough

Enjoy reading...
        Well I guess HT is so mainstream now even the big dogs must lurk on these pages.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          Well I guess HT is so mainstream now even the big dogs must lurk on these pages.

ha ha ha... craig.... U dey funie...
          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
          Mark Twain

Comment

There are many medical conditions where doing the "eight glasses of water a day" thing is contraindicated. I don't know where that article came up with the idea that this is "new evidence."

Wouldn't just about anyone realize that overloading on fluids is a bad idea for, say, a person with renal problems?

And yes, tea, coffee, and any other beverage that contains H2O counts towards water intake. Even jell-o. Just ask anyone who has been on a fluid-restricted diet.

And....drinking lots of water does not necessarily "flush out toxins."

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              For real!

I posted about mancations here on HT a few days ago: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ght=mancations

And in todays Advertiser I now see the same thing a bit changed up though! http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...609170337/1099

Comment

Uh, Manoa? Your posting on Sep. 16th was of Matt Sedensky's story, distributed by the Associated Press and on Yahoo Sep. 11th. The Advertiser ran Sedensky's story Sep. 17; they got it from the A.P., not from your HT posting.

Comment

[QUOTE=WindwardOahuRN And....drinking lots of water does not necessarily "flush out toxins."[/QUOTE]

But sweating like a pig does!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Uh, Manoa? Your posting on Sep. 16th was of Matt Sedensky's story, distributed by the Associated Press and on Yahoo Sep. 11th. The Advertiser ran Sedensky's story Sep. 17; they got it from the A.P., not from your HT posting.
                    Yeah I knew it was an AP report... however the Advertiser never pick it up till today

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Yeah I knew it was an AP report... however the Advertiser never pick it up till today
                      Papers generally subscribe to a number of services like AP, or a program that allows them to "exchange" stories with others in a consortium, or from other papers owned by the same company. They get a LOT of material that they can use, and in the case of stories that aren't current "news" (like travel features, human-interest pieces, humor columns, etc.), they can hang on to them and use them whenever they wish (usually within a pre-determined window of time.) A lot of these kinds of pieces end up in Sunday papers, where there's more room for not-so-immediate stories. This story was in the Advertiser on Sunday the 17th (according to the website), so they apparently chose to save it until then.
                      Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 20, 2006, 03:30 PM. Reason: wasn't built in a day

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                        There are many medical conditions where doing the "eight glasses of water a day" thing is contraindicated. I don't know where that article came up with the idea that this is "new evidence."

Wouldn't just about anyone realize that overloading on fluids is a bad idea for, say, a person with renal problems?

And yes, tea, coffee, and any other beverage that contains H2O counts towards water intake. Even jell-o. Just ask anyone who has been on a fluid-restricted diet.

Yes, people with kidney problems (like endstage renal disease and those on dialysis) do have to restrict their fluid intake to 32 oz. a day, which includes any fluid in the food you eat. That's not a whole lot of liquid when you consider that a can of soda is 12 oz. So that "8 glasses a day" definitely would not be advised in at least one case.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have found a lot of soda cans in my pantry "light". The seem to be empty or have very little liquid in them. They are unopened and I cannot detect any leaks in them. Some may have been in there for a year. I did not even realize sodas had "use by" dates. I opened and poured out the cans that still had liquid in them. It seems to be just colas. Coke, Diet Coke, and Safeway Select Colas.

Anyone else get missing soda?

Comment

Try taking the empty ones back to the store for an exchange.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN

if you have renal problems and are on dialysis, do you know they only alot 1500 ml of water/liquid per day??!!! that's soo hard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                                if you have renal problems and are on dialysis, do you know they only alot 1500 ml of water/liquid per day??!!! that's soo hard!!!
                                The recommended amount may vary depending on several factors---patient weight, cardiopulmonary status, comorbidities, their ability to still manufacture urine.

Everything that turns into liquid at room temperature is considered when figuring total fluid intake (except oils, of course). Even ice cream.

So yeah, it's real hard. Be nice to your kidneys!

Comment

Working...
                                X