Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

I had a great lunch at La Mariana Sailing Club today; there's a post about that in the What's For Lunch thread.
    I checked out as much of Keehi Harbor as I could. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me.
    In front of La Mariana, there are just very short sections of docks left. Farther out in the bay there are various sections of docks that must be anchored, some with 6 to 10 boats tied into the slips. Out in the middle of the bay!
    More toward the ocean, American Marine barges are still cleaning up the mess. Several areas only have the concrete pilings left, and the wooden docks are entirely missing. A few of the docks look pretty good. One of those must be where MM's transpacific ride is tied up, but I didn't have that info with me at the time; I've seen his post above and will check the boat out next time.
    If you're down around Sand Island, eat/drink at La Mariana then explore the tsunami damage.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Dramatic newly seen Japanese footage http://www.youtube.com/user/saitoart.../0/8vZR0Rq1Rfw
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Dramatic newly seen Japanese footage http://www.youtube.com/user/saitoart.../0/8vZR0Rq1Rfw
        Frightening video.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Out here on Kwajalein Atoll where I live and work the tsunami practically went around us. The way the atoll is constructed (over millions of years in the making!) the oceanside atoll drops off to depths of over 15,000 feet just a couple of hundred yards offshore. About a four-foot surge was recorded on instruments in the lagoon, just barely a ripple, since it passed through at low tide. A couple of areas did see some water recede but no damage at all was reported. Conditions would have to be just right for a wave to flood the island: high tide and a strong west wind. Even then we'd probably have no more than a foot or two of water.

It totally freaked out our U.S. Army overseers who erred on the side of caution and found out the hard way their disaster response plan was inadequate for a tsunami or storm surge. (Roi-Namur, about 50 miles north got hit by a freak storm surge back in December 2008 that damaged some stuctures, flooded parts of the island and contaminated the water catchment system and lens wells.) The 'Island Hopper' flight dropped off all passengers going to Majuro at Kwaj and the flight continued on straight to Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaSigOU View Post
            found out the hard way their disaster response plan was inadequate
            It happens to the best of them.

Comment

A modern ghost ship!!!
              "An empty Japanese fishing boat drifting off the coast of western Canada could be the first wave of 1.5 million tons of debris heading toward North America from Japan's tsunami last March.

The wreckage from flattened Japanese coastal towns - including refrigerators, washing machines, televisions, roofs and fishing nets - is heading inexorably east across the Pacific and could arrive sooner than expected, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

As all the trash swirls around the Pacific and onward... think how dangerous it's gotten to be a small vessel out there! We've always (in modern times) had things we could run into but OMG now. Some will come ashore all along the West Coast and some will head back this way reaching Hawaii and some will continue till it sinks. Scary stuff to me.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Was reading about that today from the Yahoo ticker, pretty crazy stuff.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Typically if something like that hulk is drifting waaaay out at sea and is perhaps in danger of drifting into the normal shipping lanes, the military will use it for target practice and sink it.

Comment

I don't understand maritime laws but why hasn't someone gone onboard this ship and tried to salvage it? if its been floating for this long and this far, it would seem to be at least somewhat seaworthy. or at least claim it in the open waters and tow it to shore for salvage?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The costs of towing most likely exceed any salvage value, from the looks of it.

Comment

This boat is just 'The poster child' of all the stuff that's large enough and hard enough to hole a boat within the tsunami trash. That's the real worry.

Bet someone will grab it for salvage as it swings by them.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The fact that this vessel arrived here intact is a hint
                          that early maritime voyages from asia may have
                          reached reached the north american coast in the distant
                          yet tantalising past.
                          It just drifted here with nobody at the helm,
                          looking at clocks.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            The costs of towing most likely exceed any salvage value, from the looks of it.
                            I'd bet you are right. In addition, the owner of the boat has already said they don't want it back.

Comment

Thanks for responding guys! now it makes a little more sense to me.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Typically if something like that hulk is drifting waaaay out at sea and is perhaps in danger of drifting into the normal shipping lanes, the military will use it for target practice and sink it.
                                Six days after I wrote that and it is now coming true. The Coast Guard is on its way to sink the ship according to this CNN article.

The U.S. Coast Guard has deployed a ship to sink a fishing trawler that was swept away more than a year ago by the tsunami off the coast of Japan and is now adrift near Alaska.
                                The crew of the Coast Guard's 110-foot CG Cutter Anacapa plans to assess the deserted trawler's condition Thursday morning, said Chief Petty Officer Kip Wadlow.
                                If its assessments are satisfactory, the crew will attempt to sink the vessel, named the Ryou-Un Maru, with the 25-millimeter cannon on board the cutter, Wadlow said.
                                (...)
                                The drifting trawler is considered a hazard to navigation for vessels in the area, according to authorities. Mariners have received information about the unmanned and unlit boat's presence.
                                Early Thursday morning, the trawler was about 170 nautical miles southwest of Sitka, Alaska, the Coast Guard said. A Coast Guard plane has dropped a self-locating data marker buoy in order to track the boat.
                                The trawler was first spotted floating near British Columbia by a Canadian military air patrol, and it has since been determined that it has been adrift without anybody at the helm since the tsunami, Canadian officials said last month.

Comment

Working...
                                X