No NEWS in TV news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No NEWS in TV news?

Print journalist David Shapiro takes a swipe at lack of substance in TV news these days - with a few good things to say about KITV's crew:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ious+reporting

Let the debate begin!

Re: No NEWS in TV news?

I think David is echoing what many of us have been thinking and discussing amongst ourselves for a while now.

Comment

I don't know if I have the attention span to handle long serious reporting. Gotta talk in sound bytes and headlines for tv news.

Comment

I think this lends fuel to those who view the Media Council's challenge to the "joint services agreement" of KGMB/KHNL/KFVE as ludicrous if they're challenging based on "losing an editorial voice" in the media. For the most part, TV news has become irrelevant to journalism (with the exception of KITV) as far as being "an editorial voice."

I DO think there is room to challenge on business grounds and whether there is restraint of trade or collusion in the marketplace, or . . .

Comment

There's always news, Hawaii may be a smaller place than other states but there is news if you dig for it, take the time to build sources...scrutinize bills that come through the City Council and Legislature.

Find stuff that the others miss.

Corruption, new proposals to make public access to gov't files harder....etc...it's there you just have to work hard to find it.

I would wonder if the tv news people have beats anymore.

Is there a dedicated police reporter, City Council/Mayor's Office reporter, and of course the all important beat covering the Legislature and Governor?

Or are the consultants truly convinced that all us viewers want are newer, fancier sets and weather...weather...weather?

Comment

Did anyone catch this report in the Honolulu Advertiser?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...sign+contracts+

Honolulu May Have Violated Law in Awarding of Design Contracts

Seems former Gov. Ben Cayetano and others are challenging the way several, lucrative, taxpayer-funded contracts were awarded regarding the city's planned rail system.

Back in the day.....waaaaaay back in the day, when news organizations had the people's interests first and actually took the time to do investigative reports, stories like this were common.

But with the death of quality news and with the advent of "content-challenged" news, stories like these are non-existent.

Now, we have to rely on former Governors to do the investigating for the people.

We have to rely on them to expose the possible corruption going on in gov't.

No longer can the common man rely on the media to do their job.

Now, it's all about weather, weather weather, and fancier....shinier...newer sets.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
              Did anyone catch this report in the Honolulu Advertiser?

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...sign+contracts+
              Hmmmm.... journalism at its finest.. using words like "may have violated" and "expose the possible corruption" to describe a non-issue trying to get political legs "allegedly". 'Course I understand that your definition of what "is" is may be different than mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Betamax View Post
                Hmmmm.... journalism at its finest.. using words like "may have violated" and "expose the possible corruption" to describe a non-issue trying to get political legs "allegedly". 'Course I understand that your definition of what "is" is may be different than mine...
                I have no problem with an article using descriptive words like "may", "allegedly", or "possible". Ditto for someone who is making an allegation via a filed complaint. If and when proven, the "may, allegedly, and possible" designation can be reworded as fact. Until then, those descriptions are valid.

Meanwhile, the state's procurement system is open to abuse by bid exemptions. It is interesting that the previous state Governor did not look into doing some state housekeeping, but instead went after the city/county.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

don't even start on the no news gripes. it's such a lame generalization. weak. unfounded. the melancholy imaginations of old crybabies.

invent a time machine and go back to the good ol days. you might realize the good ol days weren't that great.

Comment

Sorry but I didn't understand a word you said.

Instead of attacking the messenger, why not stick to the thread topic and address that?

Or are you one of those who only do fluff stories?

Originally posted by Betamax View Post

Comment

Ah....at least the Associated Press can still be counted on to do the job that the majority of the media has long since abandoned.

Witness says BP took shortcuts (leading to massive oil spill

http://hosted2.ap.org/HIHAD/d9e770ef...92b034bc08f67e

I believe the AP also reported on water well contamination in the US mainland, last year.

Comment

Originally posted by winthrop View Post
                        don't even start on the no news gripes. it's such a lame generalization. weak. unfounded. the melancholy imaginations of old crybabies.

invent a time machine and go back to the good ol days. you might realize the good ol days weren't that great.
                        It wasn’t that long ago. KGMB9 had a bonafide investigative reporter as recently as four or five years ago: Jacqueline McLean. Word has it that even when she won multiple Emmys, the station didn’t even bother to do a promo for her. Alas, that was HawaiiNewsThen. Jackie saw the writing on the wall and left the nei before Chris Archer stepped off the plane at HNL.

I do think David Shapiro is a little hard on Archer, though. While I agree with the premise that serious reporting is lacking, he fails to articulate that this is by design. Chris did the best he could do under the circumstances. Shapiro doesn’t seem to be paying attention to the fact that “consultants” run the local affiliates in most of America, now. If these spin doctors say “severe weather,” it’s the news director’s job to ask “Mauna Kea snow” or “Manoa floods”?

Things won’t change until hard news and investigative reports can put up big ratings numbers the way they once did. To say nothing of the fact that only Oceanic Cable can even give us the true numbers (which ofcourse, is top secret). Does that suck? Hell yeah, it does. Reality bites.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                          Sorry but I didn't understand a word you said. Instead of attacking the messenger, why not stick to the thread topic and address that? Or are you one of those who only do fluff stories?
                          Not attacking the messenger, rather, questioning the sources motivation. Ex Gov with a political agenda. Perhaps, that should have been included in the story to offer an insight as to his actions/statements. A partial bit of information is only manipulation.

But enough of that... gotta go do some fluff-stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by winthrop View Post
                            Oh yes they were. Thankfully, I and others remember the overall pros vs the cons that came from a time where quality on every level mattered and we can easily tell the differences, but that said, we must put up with what's given or tune out. While tech has made many improvements, quality in many/most major areas has plummeted. Per the op, just watch the faces on local and mainland ABC shows which are so painfully fake. It's like they are schooled to be as lame as possible. I rarely watch any TV, but lately I again am enjoying the morning news team on ch. 9/KGMB. They're fun and behave real, but still get the true news across very well, whereas the folks on 4/KITV transmit their concerns on stories with overmugged facials and the basic production style is annoying, plus they tend to go for more sensational stories. And then there's Good Morning America, god they suck so bad.
                            I don't know where you were during the good ol day's, winnie, but jump in a wayback machine asap and find out what you missed, you might not bother coming back.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Not only has the quality gone down, but the actual writing is no longer creative or even thought-provoking.

Journalism used to be a craft, almost an art.

You couldn't just sign the dotted the line and become a writer.

Not everyone can write, and not everyone should be allowed to write for a news outlet but some do.

The quality of news writing, especially broadcast writing, has gone down tremendously.

I'm not talking about just the local media, but the national news.

Comment

Working...
                              X