Hurricane Flossie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

Just wanted to offer best wishes to everyone who might be in the path and here's to hoping it's just a glancing blow.
    Matt

www.July171955.com

www.MouseColumn.com

Comment

Well it's 9:38am and the weather outside my home in Keaau down by the ocean is heavy overcast with absolutely no winds or rain. Or the calm before the storm
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Well it's 9:38am and the weather outside my home in Keaau down by the ocean is heavy overcast with absolutely no winds or rain. Or the calm before the storm
        Are you in the eye?
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

According to this image the answer to that is no. The eye of the storm has yet to touch any land. And if did there would be calm after the storm and not before.

Comment

No. If we were the sky would be a nice sunny day. I think the hurricane is stalled somewhere off of the Big Island right now as the winds are absolutely still and the sky is getting darker at least in Keaau.

Comment

Slow is bad. Slow means more of a chance of flooding, because more rain gets dumped in the same area than if the storm moved quicker.

Comment

here is a good link to a streaming doppler radar site that shows the progress of the storm...hit refresh avery so often to see the latest action.
                http://www.konaweb.com/flossie.html
                the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Oh man that image is amazing. So big and so close. I just hope the Trades keep blowing that thing away from us.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                    here is a good link to a streaming doppler radar site that shows the progress of the storm...hit refresh avery so often to see the latest action. http://www.konaweb.com/flossie.html
                    Wow, an excellent link. Mahalo nui!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wow, a radar link I've never seen, thanks. The eleven AM bulletin should be out shortly.

This UH radar map makes it look as if the southern part of BI should already be covered in very stormy clouds. dang, the difference in the maps.

http://weather.hawaii.edu/satellite/...10&overlay=off
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        This UH radar map makes it look as if the southern part of BI should already be covered in very stormy clouds.
                        http://weather.hawaii.edu/satellite/...10&overlay=off
                        And that image also seems to show that the hurricane's eye is slowly re-forming.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          If Flossie threatens Honolulu, and hopefully if the airports on the Big Island are not damaged, then I guess the planes could be flown there to wait it out. Got 2 airports... Hilo and Kona, though Kona can probably be congested if all the private jets are there.
                          On this morning's news, they said commercial airlines would fill their aircraft up with fuel to weight them down on the tarmac when the hurricane approaches. For a cat-2 some distance off-shore perhaps. But if it were a category 3 or higher, sound kinda' iffy that would keep even a larger aircraft such as a 767 (plus fuel) put; not to mention the added fire hazard potential.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Adding in the 11am advisory (25).

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; latitude longitude of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
                            08/13 2 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
                            08/13 5 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
                            08/13 8 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
                            08/13 11 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE
                            08/14 2 am; #23A; 16.6N 153.5W; 240 miles SSE; 440 miles SE
                            08/14 5 am; #24; 16.9N 154.1W; 205 miles SSE; 390 miles SE
                            08/14 8 am; #24A; 17.0N 154.4W; 190 miles SSE; 370 miles SE
                            08/14 11 am; #25; 17.3N 154.9W; 165 miles S; 340 miles SE

Comment

well I guess if they point the nose of the aircraft towards the wind and keep the flaps down that should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                On this morning's news, they said commercial airlines would fill their aircraft up with fuel to weight them down on the tarmac when the hurricane approaches. For a cat-2 some distance off-shore perhaps. But if it were a category 3 or higher, sound kinda' iffy that would keep even a larger aircraft such as a 767 (plus fuel) put; not to mention the added fire hazard potential.
                                Hmm, wouldn't it be safer and more effective to load sand bags onto cargo containers and stick'em in the plane's belly?

Comment

Working...
                                X