This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's For Dinner - Chapter 1

Last night, rubber chicken (but a KILLER chocolate-raspberry dessert) at some charity auction at a hotel --- our halau did a brief show there, but at least they fed us, which is a rarity at these shows. (They also auctioned off a lu`au/show by our halau; brought a winning bid of $1250 - they are getting a bargain.)
    Yesterday's lunch was better, though - but that's a different thread.

Comment

Went to Ted Burgers for dinner.

Comment

The Hawaii Association of Podcasters met at Shokudo near Ala Moana for dinner last night. My wife and I found a sitter, so it was a rare treat to be out together. A good mix of menu items, from fancy shmancy to simple comfort foods. Tasty, and well presented.

We had pressed unagi sushi, gyoza, spicy fried chicken (a "seasonal special"), rice and a great bowl of clam miso soup. Since it's 'family style,' we also got to sample our tablemates' unagi rice ishikaya (they mush it up for you if you like), Spicy Tuna Roll and Grilled Yuzu Pepper Chicken, too.

A very neat place - good food and a great ambiance and energy.

Our very own glossyp introduced us to the place. She's even got a coupon online for a free soft drink (or half of a domestic beer). Check it out... highly recommended.

Dinner tonight? A simple tuna casserole. I'm looking forward to that, too!

Comment

Tonight, steaks and all the requisite expensive s--+ that goes with a company holiday party, for the Alpha Female's law firm - Metropolitan Grill in Seattle. Man, do those attorneys like to party hard! And I have to get up in the morning tomorrow to do a radio show...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Shokudo near Ala Moana
            Ah yes, next to Pietro's. I was always curious about that place. Thanks for the review. We'll certainly check it out.

A few night's ago, my GF brought me home this delicous Chicken Curry topped over Udon Noodles from a place called Misuzu, just before Long's Moili'ili across the old stadium park.

The texture of the Udon (thick Japanese noodles) with the nice & flavorful Chicken Curry was sugoi oishii desu.

GF had the Oyaku Donburi, which she also said was delicious.

Misuzu is a small hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant just after this Japanese church and some other church. There's also a Vietnamese restauraunt near it. It's run by an older Japanese family who speaks little engrish. But the food (and prices) are so good!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

What a nice thread. And appropriate too. I was driving home today from school, wondering what's for dinner. The weather today in Virginia is cold and rainy, the kind my wife calls "sinigang-y." So when we talked on the phone briefly, I said I'd stop by the Asian grocer and pick up some items for Filipino soup called sinigang. I make it my way, naturally.

green papaya
              yard long string beans (sitaw)
              bok choy
              pigs' feet
              tamarind sinigang powder mix

Serve with rice and you have a meal to warm up to.

Of course my son gave me da eye when saw me thawing the pigs' feet. Kids. Phweh.

Comment

Making homemade beef enchiladas and also some chicken enchiladas with a green chili sauce (lots of cheese of course too). Also some Spanish rice and refried beans. The one thing I've loved about living in Southern California, learning how to cook Mexican food! Or at least Southern California's version of Mexican food.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

A couple of Tacos and a couple of Buritrios from Taco Bell.

Comment

The wife brought Korean food home from Hibiscus in Aina Haina. Pretty standard stuff: bbq chicken, bbq beef, meat jun. But the there was also something new for me: kim chee soup.

WIFE: "Try it, it's not that hot."

ME: "Uh, but it's all red."

WIFE: "Don't worry, I asked for medium."

As I slurped a spoonful of the soup my nose immediately began running, my eyebrows fell out and my okole trembled in fear for the soup's eventual exit journey.

Turns out when she ordered "medium", they gave her the size "medium." The spicy-ness, I suspect, was "napalm."

RE: Shokudo
                    Ate there last Friday night. OMfreakingG, you MUST eat the honey toast!! The honey toast dessert is so brok da mout. (Tomato kim chee was good, too. As was the mochi cheese au gratin. But the honey toast... drool.)

Comment

Dang...I knew there was sumthin' I forgot to do! During the 2 hour (6:30-8:30) drive home to Makaha I kept wondering what I forgot at the office. Nothing, as it turns out. I forgot to think about dinner! Oh well, there's always tomorrow night!

Comment

I got poi from Uwajimaya in Beaverton! Yee haw!
                        Also manapua from home, arare, ume, pickled ginger, sushi.

Had a feast!
                        Aloha,
                        Mokihana

Comment

Various stuff from Taco Bell. Washed down by water.

Comment

Some buritos and nachos from Taco Bell with Baja Blast Mountain Dew. Just when I left a few people came in to sing Christmas songs.

Comment

Currently making baked macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, corn on the cob and bisquits. Also made a big pitcher full of raspberry iced tea to go with. Ono!
                              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Tonight I'm making green papaya chicken and brown rice. This is real manong kine comfort food on a cold night. I first had it in K'Kai at Oviedo's.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X