Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by tutusue
    The year was 1950. Haven't had a hot dog since!
    I'm sure the quality control standards for what goes into hot dogs have changed since waaaaaaay back then.

These days, aren't hot dogs fully cooked when you buy the package from the store?

Comment

That's what I heard too... but I still "cook" em The homecooked hotdogs I like Redondo's Red hot dog. For buy and eat I like Costco's. I think I'll try the hot dog stand at CompUsa tomorrow just to try.
      Originally posted by Palolo Joe
      These days, aren't hot dogs fully cooked when you buy the package from the store?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
        Ooooh... if we're doing variations of the classic hot dog, then i also put in a vote for the ones you can get at Panya in Ala Moana... Japanese style, with the hot dog baked into a bun with some mustard... yum...
        I tried a couple of different ones last night from Panya. One of them had a spicy layer, either it was cheese or some kind of dried sauce on the outside of the hot dog.

Comment

Andagi + Hot Dog = Andadog

One of the most unique "local" versions of the hot dog is the Andadog. It's usually only available once a year at the Okinawan Festival on Labor Day weekend in September at Kapiolani Park. I like it so much, that I've attempted for the first time making this at home, which you can check out here in this pictorial demonstration!...

The Ingredients:

Here's 4 variations of hot dogs I tried. Top to bottom: Oscar Mayer Jumbo Beef, Redondo's (red) Hawaiian Winners, Redondo's Teriyaki Hawaiian Winners, Sinai Polish Sausages (from Costco).

Here we have the packaged Andagi Mix, which is available (not always) at Marukai. According to the instructions on back (which I had translated from Japanese), the "wet" ingredients you must add are 3 eggs and 2 tablespoons oil; no water!. I discovered though that I needed to add 2 more eggs and 1 more tablespoon oil to thin it out to a "batter" consistency (total 5 eggs, 3 tbsp. oil).

The Procedure:

First I cut the hot dogs in half (the longer Polish dog was cut into thirds) then boiled them in plain water until fully cooked, then drained them until fully dry. You can probably leave them full-length, but this is how they do it at the festival.

Here you see the dogs pre-cooked, fully dry and skewered. You can substitute skewers with disposable chopsticks cut in half.

Here, I've just dipped a dog in the batter. My friend said to coat them in flour first to make the batter stick better, by I found it was better to dip them in as is (no flour coating). Just a thin coating is enough, as it will REALLY puff up as you'll see next. The dough is very "gluey", even in this "thinned" state, so I used a rice paddle to assist with the coating process. One package of Andagi was enough to make approximately 30 andadogs.

Here I've just removed one from the hot oil. Pefectly golden brown delicious (GBD). Please note, the oil temperature is KEY when cooking Andagi. Too hot and the sugar in the batter will turn it BLACK and burnt on the outside and RAW inside. I lowered my stove to a notch below MEDIUM and it was just right. Andagi (in this case) cooks VERY fast - less than a minute - so you need to keep close eye on each one in the fryer. The most I've added in the fryer at once were 3, tops.

End of Part 1. Next post Part 2.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Andagi + Hot Dog = Andadog

Part 2 of 2.

The Finished Product:

Here are 4 of the best finished examples I had of each Andadog variation. Some were cooked darker (more burnt) than I would have liked, but they were still ono!

Left to right: (Costco) Polish Dog, Redondo's Winner, Oscar Mayer, Redondo's Teriyaki Winner.

Conclusion:
            My favorite of the 4 varieties was the (Costco) Polish Dog. It's strong flavor matched the best with the slightly sweet Andagi. A close second goes to the Teriyaki Winner, which helped enhance the sweetness of the Andagi, making it a flavorful standout. The red winner was my least favorite, as it didn't match well with the Andagi.

I made this for our Memorial day beach picnic, and my family visiting from the mainland made quick work of the 30 Andadogs I created, enjoying every single bite. It was a fun trial and taste test that I'll certainly do again. If you've never tried them before, please do, Andadogs are really ono!
            Last edited by Pomai; May 30, 2006, 12:10 PM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Great job with the andadogs, the photos and the instructional narrative.
              YOU should be the Next Food Network Star!
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

They sort of look like corn dogs (or pronto pups if you are from Kauai). Is the batter different?

Comment

Andagi is ... and people will correct me if I'm wrong, the Okinawan equivalent of a malasada.

So, similar to a corn dog ... but the batter would taste different, due to its different cultural origin.

Make sense?
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Ohhh, man! Those look so ʻono!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                      Andagi is ... and people will correct me if I'm wrong, the Okinawan equivalent of a malasada.

So, similar to a corn dog ... but the batter would taste different, due to its different cultural origin.

Make sense?
                      Makes sense to me. Doubtless the Portuguese are the ones who introduced the idea of deep-frying to the Okinawans.

Comment

Anyone ever try that with pancake mix?

Back in college, we used to do that on Sundays during football season... tasted just like a waffle dog, especially after the 5th or 6th beer.

Might be easier to find pancake mix than andagi batter at the market, too.

Comment

Wow, Pomai. Great write up. Now I want to try it! Is that Marukai mix (that you have to 'wet up' a bit more than recommended) your top pick? Any alternatives one can come up with if one's not within striking distance of Marukai?

Comment

This was the first time my sister tried an Andadog, and her immediate response was "If you hadn't told me, I'd of thought this was a corn dog.. but it's good! Pass me another one."

With that in mind, here's a comparison between Andagi and Corn Dog ingredients (typical from scratch):

SATA ANDAGI (Okinawan Doughnut)
                            Salad oil for deep frying
                            4 eggs
                            3/4 cup milk
                            3/4 teaspoon vanilla
                            4 cups flour
                            2 cups sugar
                            3 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
                            1/4 teaspoon salt

CORN DOG BATTER
                            6 c. cornmeal
                            3 c. plain flour
                            2 1/2 tsp. soda
                            1 1/2 tsp. salt
                            2 tbsp. sugar
                            3 c. buttermilk
                            2 1/2 c. water
                            2 eggs

I'm still wondering why the packaged Andagi mix requires oil in it, but that's what was translated to me and it came out great so I'm "sticking" with it.

As for availability, that's the only brand I'm aware of (which is exported from Okinawa). It used to be a regular stocking item at Ward Marukai, but now they only bring it in "seasonally". Last we checked, Daiei and Shirokiya didn't stock it. Perhaps Pacific Market in Waipahu?

Otherwise, making it from scratch doesn't look that difficult, just a bit more ingredients to gather up.

You know, that was the first time I ever tried those Teriyaki Winners.. man.. those things are awesome! I wanna try make a "SPAM Musubi" with them things.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, Your pictures of FOOD always make me hungry!

I gotta try this too.

Excellent job!

***** Five Stars!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Most packaged andagi and chibin mixes require oil, some call for butter.

The vanilla and milk (??) must be relatively new additions to the andagi recipe. My grandma would probably be shocked to learn how complex the recipe has become. I remember we used only 4 ingredients back home in Nago. Eggs, flour, sugar, and oil. The oil helps keep the batter from sticking to everything. And the batter should be squeezed between all fingers to make 4 little balls, not one giant ball like they make here. Grandma started experimenting by adding baking powder but I don't like it as much as her original recipe. I have my recipe book from Okinawa somewhere, if I find the recipe I'll post it.

I was surprised to see Andadogs when I first moved here. I told my family about it and they laughed (maybe they didn't believe me). My aunty tried making at home and her kids loved it. Now Andadogs and Spam musubi are commonly eaten "Hawaii" snacks in that house. She's also been experimenting with making Loco Moco but she can't get the gravy right. I ended up having to mail her packets of gravy mix...she was thrilled. Cheap omiyage for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X