Bad day on the sandbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Not much change from the earlier photos - at least to this landlubber's eyes. The hatches are closed, the containment boom is still there - still tied up the same way and the plastic bags are still there.

I don't remember about the yellow strap. There seems to be a rust streak from the foot of the railing just above the registration number. I don't see that in the photos above, but it might not show up at that resolution.

Too late in the day to chat anyone up.

I was mostly curious as to what happens to boats in this situation. Is is economically practical to fix or is it like flood damaged cars? A quick fix and a sale to an unsuspecting buyer?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I was mostly curious as to what happens to boats in this situation. Is is economically practical to fix or is it like flood damaged cars? A quick fix and a sale to an unsuspecting buyer?
      If the owner is willing to take the boat down to the bare hull and rebuild everything then it can be fully restored. All mechanical and electrical have to be replaced or rebuilt. The wood has to be checked for excessive waterlogging or delamination. Lots of things to inspect. But I've heard of worse boats brought back to seaworthy condition.

It takes time, money and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        If the owner is willing to take the boat down to the bare hull and rebuild everything then it can be fully restored. All mechanical and electrical have to be replaced or rebuilt. [...] It takes [...] money
        Of course it can be done. Anything is possible with enough desire and money. The question was, from a financial standpoint, what's the most likely outcome? Given the amount of work, it might be cheaper to scrap it and buy another. It's probably a function of how much of the boat's worth is in the hull and how much is with all the stuff in it.

I kinda suspect that the title of Joe's blog is the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Not much change from the earlier photos - at least to this landlubber's eyes. The hatches are closed, the containment boom is still there - still tied up the same way and the plastic bags are still there.
          GG wrote that five days ago, and I just dropped by earlier today and things are still just as GG described. It looks to me as if nobody has touched the boat at all.
          I didn't take any photos because it was raining and because there was nothing worth shooting (except for what I just posted in the Photo thread), and also the fuel dock and The Deli were closed, so nobody around to talk to.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            GG wrote that five days ago, and I just dropped by earlier today and things are still just as GG described. It looks to me as if nobody has touched the boat at all.
            Maybe it has been turned over to the owner's insurance carrier. It could be out of the owner's hands now as far as decision making, until insurance settles with them. That is how it is with a totaled car, once the insurance company takes control, the owner is out of the picture.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Maybe it has been turned over to the owner's insurance carrier. It could be out of the owner's hands now as far as decision making, until insurance settles with them.
              It is highly unlikely that insurance will cover it, given the highly publicized and well known circumstances.

Comment

It is highly unlikely that insurance will cover it, given the highly publicized and well known circumstances.
                Yeah - but if the owner(s) have filed any claims, it may be that no one is permitted to do anything with it until the insurance company has completed their investigation.

Or if any legal action has been filed, though I would think you folks closer to the scene would have heard something about that by now (and shared that with us, of course).

Comment

We can only speculate on the issues, but I could believe that everything is waiting on the insurance to settle before any work is done. Either because of the investigation or awaiting payment.

It may also depend on the fortunes of the owners in this economic uncertainly. They may not be in a position to do much right now.

Comment

I've been following this fascinating but sad story... any news? Lika? Gecko? Are they just waiting for insurance investigations to conclude before any more news comes out?

I can't imagine this has any happy ending, but at least this boat is no longer terrorizing the boating enthusiasts at the sandbar. I really enjoyed seeing all those photos, LikaNui. I hope I get the chance to go there some day. It sounds like the perfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                      I've been following this fascinating but sad story... any news? Lika? Gecko? Are they just waiting for insurance investigations to conclude before any more news comes out?
                      Your timing is very good, since I swung by there late yesterday. No visible changes at all. The boat is just sitting there, still with the black plastic bags stuffed into those two thru-hull fittings at the waterline. And the boat is all closed up, so no ventilation to the interior. Chances are good that the interior of the boat is getting nasty with mold and mildew.
                      I imagine the owner(s) and the insurance company are doing a dance.

I can't imagine this has any happy ending, but at least this boat is no longer terrorizing the boating enthusiasts at the sandbar. I really enjoyed seeing all those photos, LikaNui.
                      Thanks. It's been a cold, wet and windy winter so, in combination with a heavy work schedule, I haven't been using the boat much. But spring and summer are coming and my boat, my camera and I are ready! Everyone will be happy to enjoy the sandbar without Aquadelica there.

Comment

Your timing is very good, since I swung by there late yesterday. No visible changes at all. The boat is just sitting there, still with the black plastic bags stuffed into those two thru-hull fittings at the waterline. And the boat is all closed up, so no ventilation to the interior. Chances are good that the interior of the boat is getting nasty with mold and mildew.
                        I imagine the owner(s) and the insurance company are doing a dance.

Thanks. It's been a cold, wet and windy winter so, in combination with a heavy work schedule, I haven't been using the boat much. But spring and summer are coming and my boat, my camera and I are ready! Everyone will be happy to enjoy the sandbar without Aquadelica there.
                        Thanks for the update. Sorry you're bogged down with work. I will be looking forward to anything you post about this situation. You have given me great insights to the area of Oahu that I favor, and I'll look for your photos on the other thread, should you get a chance to post some more.

Boating is a fine thing. In my younger, slimmer days, I raced Hobie Cats in Long Beach with Fleet 3. Good times! That was a whole other life. I do enjoy seeing all the fun you have; thanks for sharing that with us.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Sorry you're bogged down with work.
                          Don't be sorry. It's all that work that lets me afford the boat!

You have given me great insights to the area of Oahu that I favor, and I'll look for your photos on the other thread, should you get a chance to post some more.
                          Racing season starts March 14, so photos in the Boating Photos thread will be on their way then. Maybe some earlier shots, weather permitting.
                          (Big wind forecast for this weekend. Friday night through Monday the tradewinds should be well over 30, with possible gusts to 60. )
                          A few HT regulars will come along on occasion, so it'll be fun to see their photos too.

I raced Hobie Cats in Long Beach with Fleet 3. Good times!
                          Well done! Hobie 14 or 16? I did some racing on an 18' P-cat in Long Beach.
                          I also sailed Long Beach on one of the old America's Cup 12-meters with America's Cup skipper Rod Davis. (He won a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics.) I was thinking about that today, with the tornado here yesterday and the mention of waterspouts. The day I was out with Rod in Long Beach seven waterspouts popped up at the same time! Waterspouts are killers, with winds often over 150mph, and 12-meter AC boats had no engines, so we lowered sails and got towed in by one of the chase boats. Scary. I've still got the photos.
                          But I digress, as usual.
                          I hope you're still sailing!

Comment

Racing season starts March 14, so photos in the Boating Photos thread will be on their way then. Maybe some earlier shots, weather permitting.
                            (Big wind forecast for this weekend. Friday night through Monday the tradewinds should be well over 30, with possible gusts to 60. )
                            A few HT regulars will come along on occasion, so it'll be fun to see their photos too.

Well done! Hobie 14 or 16? I did some racing on an 18' P-cat in Long Beach.
                            I also sailed Long Beach on one of the old America's Cup 12-meters with America's Cup skipper Rod Davis. (He won a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics.) I was thinking about that today, with the tornado here yesterday and the mention of waterspouts. The day I was out with Rod in Long Beach seven waterspouts popped up at the same time! Waterspouts are killers, with winds often over 150mph, and 12-meter AC boats had no engines, so we lowered sails and got towed in by one of the chase boats. Scary. I've still got the photos.
                            But I digress, as usual.
                            I hope you're still sailing!
                            I'll be looking for those photos and lurk on the thread. I haven't sailed in years. Had a 16 footer, back in the late 70s to early 80s. I never sailed a Prindle, but they always looked sweet. Lost the H-Cat in the divorce.

I was reading about the tornado today, and the coming weather. That reminded me of a stupid day of sailing in too much wind in Hurricane Gulch, and a Coast Guard rescue. An embarrassing capsize! Probably one of my last sailing days.

Neat that you got to do so many different types of watercraft. An old dream was taking a trimaran around the world, especially Polynesia. Sailing was more my Ex's thing, and he was pretty skilled. I may like doing it again, as I'm not dead yet. Of course, under adult supervision! Fair winds.

Comment

Just a quick update, which I meant to post last week -- I drove by Aquadelica's slip and absolutely nothing has changed. Looks like the boat hasn't been touched. Still has the plastic bags stuffed into the through-hulls at the waterline. Nobody was around the fuel dock or The Deli or the harbor office, since it was early evening, so I didn't talk to anyone. Maybe next time.
                              It's probably still tied up in legal and/or insurance battles.

Comment

I haven't sailed in years. Had a 16 footer, back in the late 70s to early 80s. Lost the H-Cat in the divorce. Fair winds.
                                First off! An update , but of nothing done since...

And snowbird. I feel ya. I lost a 31' Piver Trimaran due to divorce long ago...

It's Cool I Love My Life!
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X