Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iolani Palace Locked Up to Non-Hawaiians

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
    By definition, the Hawaiian Sovereignty movement would like Hawaii to return to being a sovereign nation. I'm curious about what that means, specifically. It sounds like there are several separate groups. Is there a unified picture of the changes they would like to see or how they would like things to be?
    Yes, there are various groups that have differing views on exactly what form Hawaiian Sovreignty should take and how it should be achieved.

Here is part of a statement from the Friends of Iolani Palace.

"While we respect the freedom of Hawaiian groups to hold an opinion on the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom, we believe that blocking access to Iolani Palace is wrong and certainly detrimental to our mission to share the palace and its history with out residents, our keiki and our visitors," the statement read.

"As a matter of historical record, we wish to point out that the original seat of government of the Hawaiian Kingdom was NOT Iolani Palace. The Palace was the royal RESIDENCE. Government activities were carried out in the original Courthouse (now demolished), then later in Aliiolani Hale."

It should also be pointed out that whatever one's feelings may be on the Hawaiian Sovreignty issue in general or on the actions of this group in particular, the Friends of Iolani Palace has been the group that has meticulously restored and maintained the palace to the condition that exists today. Forty years ago, when the State Legislature moved out of the palace to the present Capitol building, the palace was left in bad shape. It was the Friends of I.P. that oversaw the repair work (especially the termite damage) and recovered many of the monarchy era furnishings. While I do respect the rights of this group to carry out a protest in order to convey their message to the public, it does seem to me that they were more than a bit presumptuous to take over a place that other people have worked long and hard to restore and preserve. Would the members of this group calling themselves "the Hawaiian Kingdom Government" care to articulate what they have personally done over the years to contribute to the restoration of Iolani Palace?

The group said they would return the next day at 8 in the morning. I wouldn't be surprised if DLNR takes measures (i.e. new locks on the gates and added security) to make sure that no group in the future can lock up the palace grounds again.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 1, 2008, 02:13 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
      Would Hawaii have been better off if they were still....

In all my travels to the South Pacific islands plus Honiara, Vanuatu, NewCaledonie, Hawaii does have probably the most enviable lifestyle of any pacific island. Whether or not that is due to being associated with the US, is another story and whether or not one considers modern conveniences and opportunities as enviable is up for debate as well.
      Have you ever been to New Zealand? It seems Maori people have more privileges than those such as Hawaiians. They have guaranteed seats in the government, for one thing.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I am genuinely interested in whether someone on this forum is more well versed than I am in these matters and hope they don't mind sharing.

Comment

hi this is sansei and my thought's on the part of where a member posted on the japanese if they would've not attacked hawaii and not have WW2 that wouldnt be true is if they didnt they would've still have had WW2 since since in my Opinion,my Ancestor's would've occupied Hawaii and teach everyone their language and be under their control and in my own humble belief's,the hawaiian Nation would'nt have survived due to this if Japan did or didnt have WW2 that would've been something only thing's did change after WW2 so I Thought to share my View's on this.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

the hawaiian kingdom government's website: http://www.hawaii-gov.net/

i am a kanaka maoli, but i am not a member of this group.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

That's the problem with the Hawaiian movement, no unity among the varying groups claiming the throne.

So am I wrong to believe that during the Hawaiian Monarchy, a Non-Hawaiian wasn't allowed at, on, or in Iolani Palace?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              the hawaiian kingdom government's website: http://www.hawaii-gov.net/

i am a kanaka maoli, but i am not a member of this group.
              and the website you direct folks to is NOT for the group that was involved in the action at `Iolani Palace grounds yesterday and today.
              Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              That's the problem with the Hawaiian movement, no unity among the varying groups claiming the throne.

So am I wrong to believe that during the Hawaiian Monarchy, a Non-Hawaiian wasn't allowed at, on, or in Iolani Palace?
              Yes - you are wrong to believe that. Many non-Hawaiians were citizens of the Kingdom. Lorrin Thurston, who led the Overthrow, was a citizen of the Kingdom. His nephew, Thurston Twig-Smith, would still be considered a citizen because of his ancestry. I know many others, of many ethnic backgrounds, who are decendants of original citizens of the Kingdom. If you look at the petitions that were signed back in 1897 to protest annexation - there were many non-Hawaiians who signed them.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yeah - good thing we live in the American Democracy, where everyone is unified in one big happy family, without those pesky "diverse" opinions.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                and the website you direct folks to is NOT for the group that was involved in the action at `Iolani Palace grounds yesterday and today.
                According to this site, it is this group that carried out the protest.

Comment

I don't blame kani-lehua for getting confused. There are many different organizations that call themselves the Hawaiian Kingdom Government, the Kingdom of Hawaii, and so forth.

So far, I know of these.

http://www.kingdomofhawaii.org/welcomepage.htm

http://www.hawaiiankingdom.org/index.shtml

http://www.hawaii-gov.net/

http://www.higovt.org/indexen.htm

Of course, there are others out there, some of whom do not have websites.

And this doesn't include all the other prominent sovereignty organizations that go by other names, like Ka Lahui Hawai'i, Nation of Hawai'i, etc.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 2, 2008, 10:06 AM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Yes - you are wrong to believe that. Many non-Hawaiians were citizens of the Kingdom. Lorrin Thurston, who led the Overthrow, was a citizen of the Kingdom. His nephew, Thurston Twig-Smith, would still be considered a citizen because of his ancestry. I know many others, of many ethnic backgrounds, who are decendants of original citizens of the Kingdom. If you look at the petitions that were signed back in 1897 to protest annexation - there were many non-Hawaiians who signed them.
                    okay. so i posted the incorrect link to THE group who blocked access to i'olani palace on april 30, 2008. the link was for another group calling itself the, "hawaiian kingdom government". yet another group, ke aupuni 'o hawai'i claims to be THE, "lawful government of hawai'i". http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/HA...ianKingdom.pdf let's just keep confusing na kanaka. one thing i am not confused about is that in no way am i going to call nalayne mahealani asing kahau: my queen, her royal majesty, head of state, or commander in chief.

craig, according to ke aupuni 'o hawai'i: "nationality is determined by the country to which one is born or belongs, not by one's race or ethnicity. thus, hawaiian nationals (aka sugjects or citizens) become such in one of three ways: 1) by birth (one born in the hawaiian islands or to hawaiian nationals abroad); 2) by naturalization (an adult who has taken the legal steps to renounce nationality to his former country to become a hawaiian national); or 3) by becoming a denizen (dual citizen)..."
                    Last edited by kani-lehua; May 2, 2008, 11:51 AM.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

So it was wrong for that group to indicate that non-Hawaiians would not be allowed on the palace grounds then right?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Available at the Home Depot, Hardware department next to the mailboxes
                        Available at Lowes also,in the Hardware next to mailboxes
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

So it was wrong for that group to indicate that non-Hawaiians would not be allowed on the palace grounds then right?
                          it's confusing,at least to me, because there are several groups who claim to be THE government. however, if you were to go by ke aupuni 'o hawai'i bylaws, then, yes, the group would have been wrong. if one could have proven that he/she was a "hawaiian national", then he/she should have been allowed to access the premises. if the person was a malihini maka'ika'i (tourist), then her group would have had the right to deny access. but, i haven't read mahealani's organization's bylaws. maybe citizenship in her nation requires hawaiian koko (blood)? i don't know. according to mahealani on or about 1/13-15/2006, "Our first goal now is to serve all the people of Hawaii with aloha", she emphasized.

anapuni808?
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

Latest development on this story. The group calling itself the Hawaiian Kingdom Government occupying the grounds of Iolani Palace since April 30 has been denied a permit by DLNR to gather there in a group larger than 24.

Laura Thielen said this decision has been made, citing various violations the group committed with their previously issued permits.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...805170360/1001

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                              one thing i am not confused about is that in no way am i going to call nalayne mahealani asing kahau: my queen, her royal majesty, head of state, or commander in chief.
                              And rightfully so. Many Hawaiian historians will tell you the rightful heir to the throne is Abigail Kawananakoa. Her mother saved ‘Iolani Palace from being bulldozed in 1966. Kawananakoa was hanai’d, so there is some dispute whether she is of royal lineage. It’s interesting to note that the overthrow only stripped the ali‘i of their power. Not their wealth. The Kawananakoa ‘ohana is one of the richest families in Hawai‘i, thanks to them being sole beneficiaries of the James Campbell Estate.

The rest of Hawai‘i’s kupuna recognize Prince Quentin Kūhiō Kawananakoa (a former state representative and two-time Republican candidate for Congress), as the rightful heir. He is Abigail’s first cousin.

All of this is based on line of succession — namely that of Prince David Kawananakoa, the brother of Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalaniana‘ole (of the famed “Prince Kuhio” holiday, and the man they named that long highway that goes from H-1 to Waimanalo for). If you throw that out the window, there are some living descendents of the Kamehameha ‘ohana, but none can trace their roots to an actual line of succession.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X