What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do with Vienna Sausage?

Come new years, you stick da firecracker inside 'um and throw 'um to the sky!!!

Comment

Mostly only eat it fried with eggs or rice, or use it in fried rice. My favorite is chopping it up and frying it with scrambled eggs and string beans almost like an omelette, but I eat it with rice.

And then there's shoyu/sugar vienna (if we don't have rice, I put it in plain bread). I don't usually put it together with spam but if I do, I make sure to leave the vienna in for awhile before the spam soaks everything up.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I usually fry 'em until almost burnt and just eat 'em with rice and choke ketchup! Yum! If I'm feeling lazy, I just open a can of vienna sausage and pork and beans. Put the sausage on a piece of bread and cover it with the p&b and eat it like that!

Comment

Vienna sausage haiku:
          http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/1...-haiku-day.gif

Comment

I remember Vienna sausage used to be part of the assorted meats that were included on the really big plate lunch specials frequently served on Friday's at Masu's. There were days on Fridays, where the plate lunch would consist of up to five different kinds of meat, of which one of them would be a can of Vienna sausage. I never ate their plate lunch specials, but I knew plenty of people who did, and I always thought it was unique how Masu's would throw in can of Vienna sausage as one of the plate lunch items. Usually, on days when Vienna sausage was served, one would also get a piece of coconut cake for dessert!

I don't know what Masu's is up to of late, when it comes to the offerings in their plate lunches, and if they are still including Vienna sausage, on occasion, to their plate lunches. I have had people send me links to their online menu, just so I can peruse it for old times sake.

Also: Vienna sausage was/is quite popular in Chicago. I remember seeing plenty of locals there eating it the brief period of time I lived there. Most people I saw consuming it would eat it right out of the can on lunch breaks, with their version of chili pepper water. It could be had cheap....20 cents a can on sale.

Comment

BooHoo! No can get, over here! No Spam, either.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The most revolting concoction I ever sampled was V.S. served uncooked (although it's technically already cooked) in shoyu and vinegar.

To me, V.S. tastes sort of like an encased version of Deviled Ham... the icon of the term "Mystery Meat". Great disaster survival items such as Hurricane preparedness, otherwise those cans usually collect dust in my pantry or I end up giving it to the Food Bank.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  (sing it to the tune of the "What do you do with a waffle hot-dog?" commercial)

Come on. I know you eat it, too. So how do you prepare it?

I normally just fry it a little with some shoyu and eat it on rice, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up, sliced up, and dumped on top of cold pork and beans. Yum. Hot Vienna sausage and cold VanCamp's!

Carcinogenic foods I grew up eating (and method of preparation):

Vienna right out of the can
                  Ditto for pork&beans (cold)
                  Spam was fried (as I grew older, I learned to dress it with sugar and shoyu when frying)
                  Speghetti-os quickly boiled up (pre-microwave era)
                  Saimin, according to the pkg (and whatever dashi didn't fall out of the packet, I would swipe out and lick off my fingers)

The only thing of the above list that I eat is spam (in musubis). Portuguese sausage isn't on this list, because if it is the homemade kind, then of course it is healthy

When Redondo's comes back out with its smoked turkey tails (discontinued about two decades ago, da lousy buggahs), I am *all* over that bad-boy! Sliced up and fried, wooo-hoo!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                    My dad would eat them straight out of the can. My ex (Japanese national) would smash them, mix in mayo and soy sauce, then spread on top of hot rice. I like them as fish bait.
                    The mayo-shoyu mixture is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations, so when I read this I KNEW I had to try your ex's technique.
                    I'm eating it right now and yes, I know it's unhealthy, but I think it's going to become one of my once-in-awhile comfort-food, rib- (and figure-) sticking standby-lunches. (Oops -- was that out loud?)

... and of course, I'll have it with a DIET soda!
                    Last edited by Erika Engle; May 15, 2006, 12:03 PM. Reason: To add delusional rationalization.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

All of the above. Also out of the can dipped in shoyu/kochu jang sauce. Melanie likes my "world famous" VS omelette rolled in a flour tortilla for breakfast. VS omelette used to be part of my pineapple-picking-days lunch at least 3 times a week. It was the easiest and quickest thing to make. Top part of the bento can had the omelette and the rice was packed in the bottom. It may not be the healthiest, but it is fun to eat. Trying sucksquooshing it back and forth between your teeth.

Comment

put em in a food processor along with a peeled hard boiled egg, some salt and other seasoning to taste and blend the whole thing down to a paste and spread it over a Ritz cracker. Tastes just like pate only cheaper.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That's... intriguing. Mildly disturbing, but intriguing.

Comment

I fry it with butter and eat it with eggs and rice, oh and ketchup.

Comment

I like to pop that can open, dump it on a plate, then open that can of beer, and eat it with maui onion. how good is that

Comment

No joke, the bes way is to cook in shoyu sweetened with sugar, maybe thin out the shoyu with some water. Whack a meal with rice and kimchee.

Comment

Working...
                                X