Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Ooooh, I think I'm going to try that! Beer and hot dogs...what a combination!

Anyone live in Mililani? I noticed there's a new hot dog place at the mililani town center. It's located by place that does manicures.

I also like to eat the Maui Hot Dogs, when they were linked together. Those were some crunchy dogs! Now they're not so good and not even linked together!
    Last edited by wowlaulau; May 21, 2006, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I think that crunchy hotdog is the one advertised on TV? I can't remember the name but when you bend one it snaps.

I think I like the simple ones the best. Here on the Big Island in Papaiko there is a place called Pinkies where they serve up some really tasty hotdogs which is basically a Redondo's Red wrapped in a Loves Sweetbread bun. That's it but boy it is one tasty dog without any condiments!

But when I make hotdogs for the kids, this is my method of preparing them:

1) Cut diagonal slits in them to cook evenly thru
      2) Fry them up in the skillet with Yoshida's Gourmet sauce, some shoyu and garlic
      3) Add enough water to halfway submerge the dogs and boil to plump

This way the dogs don't come out oily. The boiling takes out some of the cooking oil and sausage fat, but helps cook some of the drizzle back into the dog for added flavor. Pop them into lightly toasted sweetbread rolls, wrap them up in paper towels and put em in a container.

Then you go to the beach and when you come out the hot dogs taste like heaven
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Speaking of Mililani and hot dogs, I don't know if this guy is still there, but one enterprising fellow had run a cart down at Mililani Marketplace by Safeway. He'd also show up at various events. My mom got to know him (from various school events), so we'd sometimes drive down there just for a hot dog. I couldn't tell you if it was a good hot dog, but a hot dog served by a friend always tastes better.

Comment

There was, for a brief period of time, a trailer set-up on the Daiei (now Don Quijote?) parking lot in Kailua, between the Kailua Post Office and that surf shop. If I recall correctly, the place was called "Flyin' Hawaiian Hots Dogs". I loved that place because they sold grilled "Tofu Pups", which are vegan hot dogs made primarily from tofu. That was the only place I knew Windward side that had Tofu Pups on their menu, though I will admit that I have never gone looking for other places that carry them when I'm on O'ahu. I'd get them with sauerkraut and mustard, along with a side of their "Rainbow Slaw", which was a variety of slawed cruciferous and root veggies mixed in a vinegar-based dressing. That was some good eating when they were around! But alas, they've been gone for years.

Comment

ok this I no get.... how come things stay being like this....
            did nobody think to ask susie if she needed the translation of what a "crunchy" hotdog is?
            did anyone stop to think "hey she stay in france maybe its different there" ...did any of you?
            no This is what she got:

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
            What's a 'crunchy' hotdog?
            hmmmm sounds like she wants to know what crunchy means when termed with hotdog

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            I have no idea wat you talking about!
            Wat you reading? French?

It's "crunchy" Hot Dogs!

If you dunno wat is crunchy den you punchy!

Auwe!

Auntie Lynn
            while you came back with its crunchy...now thats a discriptive term that we living in america can understand but mayyybe not someone who hasnt lived in the states for years

Oh....lemme see if I get dis....it was da name of da place, like Mr. Crunchy had a hotdog stand....NOT dat da hotdogs was crunchy.

I thought dat maybe dey was rolled in cornflakes and deep-fried, or sumthing.
            she still doesnt understand....
            I mean...hotdogs not supposed to be crunchy.
            sooo she is still trying to wrap her head around the crunch part she thinks it means there is somethingaround the hotdog like a cracker/waffle wrapping or something...

cont next page...
            Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Das wat made those N.Y. Hot Dogs so ono and special cause they were Crunchy! Bursting with flavor!
              Auntie Lynn
              an attempt at saying the skin was crunchy but still not being blunt and saying the skin snaps/crunches when you bite into it.

I have no time for you.

Good night!

Auntie Lynn
              ok you got frustrated and left... thats ok... its a good thing to do
              Awww...I was being NICE.
              she trying to understand
              Originally posted by helen
              I don't know about the hot dogs but a few years ago a local meat company sold crunchy sausages. It was the shell of the sausage that was crunchy, while the meat inside was your typical sausage type of meat.
              hey hey Helen attempted to try and explain whooot for helen
              And I can be Mean and Nasty!

A long time ago someone told me to step away from my computa whenever I get to feeling a bit Nasty and Mean...this is one of the unfortunate times.

You're on IGNORE!

Auntie Lynn
              so now you have a person on Ignore that really jus doesnt get it.... not very nice.

an before you get on the HIGH horse about the whole nosy who you goin marry bit I no think that was right an told her so also an that I was ashamed of her acting like that.

NOW stop and think about the actions you have taken here with a benign question about crunchy hotdogs that she just doesnt get it.... she does NOT have a grocery like we do here in the states she goes to a butcher that cuts every type of meat with the same knife on the same cutting board that just had the bloddy chicken on and is now cutting up your beef roast WITHOUT washing anything. so stop an think for a min she only gets hotdogs/sausages from whatever neighbor might have killed a pig lately or from the butcher so who knows if they use intestines for casings or if they get the sinthetic kine that we have access to....
              ALL she wanted was to know what was meant by crunchy.... anyone of you who had an inclination as to what a crunchy hot dog was could have said "oh crunchy means the skin when you bite into it it snaps or crunches... you no have crunchy kines of hot dogs in france?"..... too bad not enough Aloha for go around
              Last edited by kaneohegirl; May 21, 2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Aloha kakou!

My first posting -- kinda scared - stupid, no?

Okay then -- my favorite hot dog would be at our local Home Depot here on
                Kaua'i -- used to be called "Island's Best" but for some stupid reason changed
                to "Volcano Dogs"!?!

So ono! And with all the fixin's!! Used to be a place called "Mustard's Last
                Stand" here also in Lawai -- was my favorite, but pau now, so Home Depot
                wins believe it or not!

Janet

Comment

Howzit Koloa Girl... Kauai in da' house! My girlfriend get cousins live Koloa. One of them works at Keoki's in Poipu.

As for that Crunchy Dog, the one that comes to mind was advertised locally a while back. The name was something like "Arakibi" or "Arabiki". I couldn't find it in Google so that's probably wrong, but close. I think it's Japanese in origin.

Kaneohe Girl, I'm sorry more folks didn't step to the plate and explain it to Susie. It was unfortunate that her and aunty had a misunderstanding, which to me is all it was.

This thread is supposed to be a lighthearted look at HOT DOGS, not HOT CATS.
                  Last edited by Pomai; May 21, 2006, 11:34 AM.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                    ALL she wanted was to know what was meant by crunchy.... anyone of you who had read the post could have said "oh crunchy means the skin when you bite into it it snaps or crunches... you no have crunchy kines of hot dogs in france?"
                    I appreciate your boiling this down for us, but I think "any one of you who read the post" is too broad a generalization. I, too, thought this was a weird exchange between 1stWahine and SusieMisajon, but I was as baffled by "crunchy" as Susie was. I was the first in this thread to describe a hot dog as "snapping" when you bit into it, but didn't know that's what 1stWahine meant when she said "crunchy." When it turned into a surreal schoolyard argument, I just checked out.

It is nice of you to try and clear things up; however, please do not condemn us all for not explaining what "crunchy" meant when the meaning was NOT clear to "any one who read the post."
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      I appreciate your boiling this down for us, but I think "any one of you who read the post" is too broad a generalization.
                      thats one of my flaws I tend to generalize without making the exception... so I fixed it to where it says..."anyone of you who had an inclination as to what a crunchy hot dog was could have said "

sorry for including those who also didnt know what a crunchy hotdog was. It wasnt my intention to condem anyone.
                      and I have just now noticed the time stamp on the postings.... so it is entirly possible that many members were not on at the time.

oh hea....
                      Main Entry: bite
                      Part of Speech: verb 1
                      Definition: grip
                      Synonyms: champ, chaw*, chew, chomp*, clamp, crunch, crush, cut, eat, gnaw, hold, lacerate, masticate, munch, nibble, nip, pierce, pinch, rend, ruminate, seize, sever, snap, taste, tooth, wound
                      Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.2.1)
                      Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
                      * = informal or slang
                      Last edited by kaneohegirl; May 21, 2006, 11:56 AM. Reason: thesaurus added

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        It was unfortunate that her and aunty had a misunderstanding, which to me is all it was.

This thread is supposed to be a lighthearted look at HOT DOGS, not HOT CATS.
                        misunderstandings are not fun... an yea hot dogs not hot cats LOL

Comment

How about that old hot dog "supermarket conspiracy"....

The buns come in a package of 8, but the hot dogs come in a package of 10.

What are you supposed to do with the extra 2 hot dogs? They need buns too, damned it!

Am I supposed to buy another package of buns and just feed the remaining 6 to the birds?

The movie FATHER OF THE BRIDE has a classic scene based on this.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I, too, chalk it up to miscommunication between two members... and frankly, to a newcomer, many of us take a bit of getting used to. I'l admit, 1stwahine was in top "Whack Whack" form. But I wouldn't use it as proof to paint all of us as lacking in hospitality or "aloha." We just have our own brand of the stuff!

That's not to say we're less warm and fuzzy than other communities... a fact previously and better hashed over in that "HawaiiThreads is too mean" thread.

Now, back to hot dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Now, back to hot dogs!
                              what about Caspers brand? have you tried those? can find them in the Costcos here on the mainland so I would guess should have them in the costcos there if not can ask. Caspers brand are the extra long kind and have that snap/crunch to the skin that some of us like

Comment

Oh man, when I think about "all the dogs I've loved before" ... (to the tune of that insipid Julio Iglesias song) ... Now I'm ono for nitrates! (Nitrites? Don't really care which is correct.)

- When I was a little girl on the mainland I loved the Frankfurters at Howard Johnson's. Specially made buns that were more like shallow, thick-sliced bread with a slot for the frankfurter ... toasted first, of course.

- Also on the mainland, my first experience with a hot-dog slathered with bright orange, melty "squeeze cheese." It was a revelation in tube steak cuisine possibilities.

- Camping in Kohala with a high school youth club -- eating freshly boiled -- or even cold -- red Redondo's hot dogs over rice w/shoyu. I can STILL taste how good it was. (I know, it was the whole experience, not just the dogs/rice).

- The simple, steeped hot dogs and steamed buns served at the old Itsu's Fishing Supply in Hilo (a charming memory -- sigh).

- A mushroom dog at some little place in Kona. Don't remember the name of the place, but I sho' nuff remember that dog!

- The pepperoni dog at Orange Julius. Extra mozzarella cheese, please!

- The polish dogs and sesame seed buns (purchased at Costco, no doubt) served at a convenience store across Cooke Street from the Q (when it was at 711 Kapiolani). I'd stream on a little Sri Racha. Ho, dat was a good late morning snack.

- When I make 'em at home, I slit them lengthwise and cook 'em on the grooved side of my grill pan to get nice grill marks. The slit also provides room for the ketchup or cheese or whatever we fill 'em with before eating. A couple of my kids have a hot dog with their ketchup, not the other way around.

But enough about me. I remember when Consolidated was preparing to open the Mililani theaters, it made a big deal of the deal it had struck with Pink's (Gourmet?) Hot Dogs "they snap when you bite 'em," the founder's daughter told me. The dogs are famous in Hollywood. I don't know if Pink's are still served there.
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X