Avengers: Age of Ultron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avengers: Age of Ultron

The movie Avengers: Age of Ultron was scheduled to open on Friday May 1, 2015 but some reason some theaters are showing it a day early at a reasonable time in the night like at 7:00 pm.

For myself I opted to purchase in advance a ticket to later showing in the night, not quite midnight but more than likely it will end around that time.

Anyway this thread is for that movie which is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and of course a sequel to the movie Marvel's The Avengers from 2012 as well as other movies that followed it.

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron

I think I might have liked it better than the first one, although "getting the team together" is an irresistible premise. And it was interesting to see the film take a consciously different tack on the issue of "innocent bystanders," as in one that most blockbuster films depicting mass destruction don't.

Comment

Saw this movie on Thursday night (4/30/15) and I do plan on seeing this again.

If you are the type of person who likes action, superheroes, supervillains with evil plans, disaster, science fiction and some adventuring across at least 3 (maybe a 4th) continents then this movie should fit the bill. There is also some comedic bits and a slight romance thrown into the plot.

Comment

Attended the 11:30 am showing of this movie today (5/16/15) at the Ward Theater using one of the small theaters there. The attendance was sizable but not packed (had 2 free seats to the left and right of me).

One of things that I missed on the first showing was at the beginning when the Avengers was battling the Hydra forces. One of the Hydra guys was flying around like Iron Man but without the armor.

Comment

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
          Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Claudia Kim, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Elizabeth Olsen, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Idris Elba. Written and directed by Joss Whedon.

The first Avengers movie was a big, noisy mess with too many characters to manage and not enough humanity to plumb. Just about everything I enjoy about the Marvel films was either missing or in short supply, which is probably why I was in no hurry to catch its sequel, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Then I got myself caught up on Captain America, and I was introduced to Scarlet Witch, and this second Avengers movie felt like a gap I wanted to fill.

Really, what is it about these Avengers films? Do the titles mean that since nobody gets a titular role, the movies can’t spend time developing singular characters? The recent Captain America: Civil War is effectively an Avengers movie (I’m not a comic book reader, so if what I just wrote is a sin against fandom, don’t shoot me), yet there’s pretty good character development of Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Scarlet Witch, so I reject this as necessarily a rule. Except for a pretty great tension with Bruce Banner and Natasha Romanoff in the stay-away-I’m-dangerous vein, and Scarlet Witch’s conflicted side-choosing, writer Joss Whedon seems to have decided his audience doesn’t care about humanizing these heroes. It’s a bad choice.

The plot’s main conceit, the emergence of an artificial intelligence powered by Loki’s scepter (from the first Avengers movie), is pretty cool, although I could have done without the comic-booky appearance of the villain and his various incarnations. Most of the action is unremarkable, except as it serves to develop characters, but it’s too long to be excused even by that.

This is not to say I didn’t enjoy the movie. I did, in a kind of let-everything-go-and-just-enjoy-the-ride way, which is pretty much what I said about the first Avengers movie. If I hadn’t first seen Captain America: Civil War and come into this one with an interest in Wanda Maximoff’s origins, it wouldn’t have been quite so enjoyable, so I’m giving it a two-point Elizabeth Olsen bump and a surprise one-point Claudia Kim bump.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
          70/100 (Criticker rating)
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
          X