The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

2001: A Space Odyssey got mention as an item in someone's list in this thread.

I might be one of the few people who thinks that the movie lacks dialouge, I can understand not being there during the Dawn of Man part, but the other parts of movie could have used more speaking time.

Right now this movie is on TCM, HAL has just killed Frank and the other three crew members in hibernation but this is the strange part, if the HAL 9000 was known as a computer that doesn't make errors then why is there an indicator light on a panel that says "Computer Malfunction"?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      if the HAL 9000 was known as a computer that doesn't make errors then why is there an indicator light on a panel that says "Computer Malfunction"?
      Uhhhh, plot device?

Comment

Nope, that is a plot hole, not a plot device. Of course 2001 had other plot holes, like instead of sending a manned mission to Jupiter, they could have sent a smaller unmanned probe, since the powers to be on the USA side thought the HAL 9000 could have done the mission without the aid of the crew.

Anyway TCM also aired the sequel 2010 after 2001 tonight.

Comment

The film "2001" was designed to be seen in a theater .
          The experience of attending a movie was special at that time.
          The audio was quiet to allow attendees to get used to being
          relaxed in a calm place with the enchanting smell of popcorn in the
          air.
          The pacing of the film is slow and deliberate by design.
          I've watched this film dozens of times and it's never the same twice.

Comment

Another interesting film is "The Lathe of Heaven".
            Starring Bruce Davison ,it's about a this dude that dreams up a new
            reality every time he sleeps.
            When he wakes up his dreams are true.
            Getting scared, he tries to avoid sleep.
            Watch the film.

Comment

I never cared for 2001, though I've seen it quite a few times. I didn't think it was really science fiction, which is explanatory, IMO, in contrast to the 2001 movie, which tried to mystify rather than to explain. It was Kubrik's story, not Clarke's, despite it being based on "The Sentinel". I recall Clarke complaining in an interview that he didn't think of 2001 being SF, and he really didn't know what it was. Me neither.

I've enjoyed quite a few more recent SF movies since, though, including several of Arnold Schwarzenegger's flicks. But my favorite is still "Forbidden Planet" -- a real SF story, great effects and synthesizer music, and a great cast (Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis, Walter Pidgeon, Robby the Robot, Richard Anderson, Earl Holliman, and so on).
              Last edited by GregLee; March 18, 2012, 05:53 PM.
              Greg

Comment

Forbidden Planet is a top notch production that was years ahead of its time.
                It has a visceral warmth that 2001 lacked.

Comment

I recently saw a movie called Triangle.

(There are a few movies with the same name, but here is the IMDB entry of the one I'm talking about.)

It's marketed as a horror film, but I'm including it in this sci-fi thread because #1, it's not scary and #2, it involves time-travel, a decided sci-fi plot device. It reminds me a lot of the Spanish film Timecrimes, but I liked Triangle much more. It's not as good as, say Primer (which I think is the best time-travel movie ever), but it's brilliant in its own way.

Comment

Good point.
                    The area in question is called the delta of venus.
                    Some of the earliest languages used the delta symbol in their scratchings on raw clay tablets.

Comment

Working...
                    X