Bad day on the sandbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Sounds from the postings on this thread that there might be a large group of boaters who would enjoy seeing the sunk boat renamed "Schadenfreude".
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Sooooooo ..... what new has developed with this?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the fate of the boat. Totaled?

One thing I'll say - this didn't happen at *the* sandbar, but a lesser-used sandbar to the north of it. So there were staying away from the crowd this time.

Comment

I heard just this morning from a little bird that the essential problem that day was the raw water intake hose burst, and by the time the guy noticed, it was too late.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I haven't heard anything new, but then I've been buried under mountains of work and haven't had the time to make any calls on this. Or the inclination to do it. After all, it's vaguely possible () that I've made my position on Aquadelica somewhat clear.
            GeckoGeek, you live near Heeia Kea as I recall. Can you swing by and see if the boat is in its slip? And a quick chat with the regulars hanging around The Deli there should get some recent news.
            If not, I'll probably be going by there early next week and will see wassup.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ooooooh. I just now looked at Joe Philipson's blog from that day, and noticed some new comments at the end of it.
              One comment, from someone named KWater, appears to have been lifted/plagiarized from some of my own comments here. I am not KWater and I do not know who it is. Perhaps their experiences were just similar to mine, but.
              Anyway, go read those comments. 15 in all. And you'll go

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                I heard just this morning from a little bird that the essential problem that day was the raw water intake hose burst, and by the time the guy noticed, it was too late.
                I wonder if a gate/ball valve was installed at the thru-hull?
                If so, the water could've been stopped from coming in and what ever water had aready entered, pumped out.
                Instead of just letting it sink.

If there was no valve, then it wasn't a proper installation. IMO
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Just a link to valves for understanding...
                  ball-valves-seacocks
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

http://insidejoeshead.com/2009/01/11...lica/#comments

That link appears to have been password-protected...
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      http://insidejoeshead.com/2009/01/11...lica/#comments That link appears to have been password-protected.
                      Gee, that was done after my post last night. I can't imagine why.
                      Clearly this thread is still being lurked/tracked by at least one person involved in the incident.
                      No matter. I kind of expected the blog report would disappear so I did a copy-and-paste and I have JP's blog report, the photos, and the 15 comments all saved in a file.
                      I'm not as dumb as I look.

Comment

So give us the cliffs notes on what he was saying.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Gee, that was done after my post last night.
                          The interesting thing is there is no instructions on how to sign up and get the password! So for all intents and purposes, that thread is locked up tighter than Davey Jones Locker!

I think I'll go watch my video of Master and Commander. Those guys knew how to plug a hole in the hull!!!! And their boat was called SURPRISE!
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Can you swing by and see if the boat is in its slip?
                            Where would I be looking? I don't know much more about the place then then where to turn.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              Where would I be looking? I don't know much more about the place then then where to turn.
                              Walk 20 yards past the boat launch ramp. Go to the 6th slip, then look straight down.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. The folks at the deli probably know where it is/was/should be.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                So give us the cliffs notes on what he was saying.
                                Well, a couple of the newer comments there included these:

January 14th, 2009
                                The music was way too loud and obnoxious. FIne if you want to play it but turn it down to a reasonable level. A mile away (seriously) it was still very loud. Be a little more civil next time.

January 15th, 2009
                                Sad to see such a beautiful boat sink… but on another note, the boat owners had it coming. I have seen this boat countless of times at the sandbar and every time was a bad memory. The captain (if you can call him that) doesn’t know how to handle a boat. I have witnessed him trying to park the boat at the sandbar; approaching at high speeds, putting people and other boats at risk. I have personally seen the boat hit the reef twice and am sadly not at all surprised that it sank. The loud music and rude behavior is a whole other issue. The parties that take place on the boat include large amounts of alcohol, loud obnoxious music, and often times other illegal substances. I have spoken to passengers of the boat and they have confirmed that the comment about illegal substances is correct. Surprised it sank? I sure am not!!!

(The one above is the one that sounds like the person got part of the info from one of my earlier posts here, maybe.
                                But the one that really caught my eye was this one: )

January 18th, 2009
                                Bummer about their boat and thank goodness that everyone was okay.
                                That being said, I have to admit that I am not surprised and I think that boat was a hazard to the sandbar experience. Music aside, there was some dangerous behavior on that vessel that I saw first-hand. I was on that boat once (the first day it was out I think) and while the people were friendly enough to me, I saw some stuff that day that definitely would not be considered safe on a boat and made me never want to get on that boat again. Lots of booze and certainly drugs were happening… definitely upwards of 30 people on board. I even saw a drunk girl fall through the hatch, when someone ‘accidentally’ pushed her, and break her arm in half. She was rushed to the hospital by her friends (luckily they had a smaller boat nearby!) and while I heard she healed just fine, no one on the boat seemed to notice other than me and her few friends also aboard. I don’t know if she even told the boat owners about it, but it looked ripe for a liability issue.
                                In the owners’ defense, I do recall a captain aboard who was driving the boat while the owners partied.
                                Best of luck to the owners in figuring out what went wrong and again, sorry the boat went down. I do hope that on your next boat, you will be a bit more cautious and courteous; it seems Aquadelica made a few people pretty unhappy.
                                I should clarify, I did not mean to come off as though someone pushed the girl, accidentally in quotes means to say, it is questionable if she was accidentally nudged or just fell of her own clutziness; I only saw her fall not how she fell.

Understand, I'm certainly not claiming any or all of those posts and claims are true. It's just what other people posted on the blog before he closed it.
                                And those posts do conform to what a whole lot of other folks have reported.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                The interesting thing is there is no instructions on how to sign up and get the password! So for all intents and purposes, that thread is locked up tighter than Davey Jones Locker!
                                Ah, grasshopper, just because it's locked doesn't mean it isn't available. Once something has been on the internet there are always ways of finding it cached elsewhere. But I have no interest in dragging Joe The Blogger into anything. He was an innocent passenger who just went out to take some photos. He's more than welcome to come out on my boat sometime, and I can guarantee a whole lot less turmoil and a whole lot better photos.
                                I think he's a friend of Scrivener and ZZType, and of course I'd love to have them come out too.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                                Walk 20 yards past the boat launch ramp. Go to the 6th slip, then look straight down. Sorry. Couldn't resist. The folks at the deli probably know where it is/was/should be.
                                Oh, the folks at The Deli sure know where it is. There are only 21 slips in the harbor, after all. And with the boats name in giant letters, you can't miss it. (There's a somewhat similar looking boat a few slips away, but no giant letters.) When you turn into Heeia Kea, Aquadelica's slip is about 2/3 of the way down on the left side.
                                But in any event, I'll be over there in the next two or three days, so I'll see what's up.

Comment

Working...
                                X