Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, the Tiki Torch!

It was a scam joint, for sure, and man, the City suits so hated that place. Always something fun to hear about.
    I worked on the owners boat, so it was just an outside cash venture for me, but the 'fringe benefits' from da goyles employed and hanging there were quite OK.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

The place across Sizzler's: was it once called RUSSELL'S ROWBOAT?

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
        Dennis Among is a 77' PCHS grad and Les Among is a 78' PCHS grad. They lived on Anihinihi St. My old bassist Lou Torres lived next to the Amongs. They also had a cousin Alex Among that was a great guitar player. The guy you're talking about that looked like Jim Morrison is Mark. He's now an artist in Waikiki.
        Thanks for the update. Lou (or Louis as I knew him) also had 2 younger brothers that I knew in school, Robert was in one of my classes. He let me borrow one of Lou's basses one day for our homecoming parade. I was dressed as Ted Nugent and held his black bass out of the car door. Robert told me if I dropped it he'd kill me. All threats aside, I took good care of it...
        Last edited by PearlCityMike; June 22, 2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Was there a local band called The Squids or something sounded similiar?

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
            Thanks for the update. Lou (or Louis as I knew him) also had 2 younger brothers that I knew in school, Robert was in one of my classes. He let me borrow one of Lou's basses one day for our homecoming parade. I was dressed as Ted Nugent and held his black bass out of the car door. Robert told me if I dropped it he'd kill me. All threats aside, I took good care of it...
            Yes, Louis has two younger brothers Robert and David. Louis told me Robert now resides in Oklahoma and David in San Francisco.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Was there a local band called The Squids or something sounded similiar?
            The Squids used to perform at The Wave Waikiki.

Comment

I'm 25....am I too young to be in this thread?? :P

Great pictures btw

Comment

Great thread. Aloha everyone!

I worked as a musician in Honolulu for years and was the house band at the Oahu Bar in 1984 with Jan Brenner.These may not all be nightclubs.
                I remember:
                Keone's on Lewers
                Rodeo Drive
                Moose's
                Irish Rose
                Red Lion Dance Palace
                Jazz Celler
                The Longboard Bar
                Chucks Cellar
                Trappers( played with Danny Couch there)
                The Point After
                23rd Step in Kailua
                Tops Cantbury(forget now) upstairs on Ala Moana where Music Magic played
                Cillis (spelling)

On Kuhio Ave. or nearby:
                The Jolly Roger
                The Blue Water
                Rose and Crown
                Ginger Lounge, basement of the Prince Kunio(played there in 1982)
                The lounge at the Hawaiian Prince Hotel(Captain's?)
                Kuhio Saloon
                The Wave
                The club from Japan.Maharaja?
                The Cock's Roost
                Trader Vic's t the International Market Place
                The Cavalier on Kapiolani Blvd.,a Jazz club
                The Holiday In
                (where Bernadette and the Sunshine Band played)
                The Cockatoo Lounge -Gabe Baltazar's club
                Scruples( I was with the band that played there to get their 4Am license)
                Bully Hayes in Pearlridge
                Reny's (Roger Mosely's club) near Bully Hayes
                The Cowboy Inn
                The Rodeo
                Remember the Monkey Bar?
                The Roundhouse(model trains ran in there)
                The Black Orchid(did Diana Ross tribute band there)
                Studebakers
                The big Chinese floating restaurant The Oceana
                The Warrior lounge at the Hale Koa
                Texas Paniolo 's Bar
                Top of the I(Ilikai) and the the loungewith all the nice wood on the ground floor at the Ilikai.Boathouse maybe?
                nuff already!
                Last edited by Garry; July 18, 2008, 01:19 AM. Reason: remebered name

Comment

Super list of places, past and present, mostly past.... The last of the good fun day's.
                  You may remember friends of mine that worked with Jan in the '80-ish era, drummer Koko Kanealii, and guitarist Ross Costa.

Comment

ROUNDHOUSE - now BRAVO, under Anna Miller's;
                    ANNABELLE'S was the club on the Top of the Ilikai;
                    HONG KONG JUNK - Ilikai;
                    FERDINAND'S on Kuhio Ave.;
                    GREEN TURTLE on Kapiolani;
                    TIKI - International Marketplace;
                    CANTON PUKA - International Marketplace;
                    THE MOON - Outrigger Hotel PH

Oh, the memories ..............

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Super list of places, past and present, mostly past.... The last of the good fun day's.
                      You may remember friends of mine that worked with Jan in the '80-ish era, drummer Koko Kanealii, and guitarist Ross Costa.
                      I know Ross,when he left in 1983 i was going to replace him,but didn't start until 1984. Phil Bennet(Nueva Vida) left and Noel Okimoto played drums while I was there and Pat Demain was the Keyboardist.
                      I remember the haole guy,Billy,played keyboards before pat,and Woody was the guitarist,replaced by Dana Rasch,then Kevin Hirasa.
                      There was Opus One,I think it was called at the front of the Sheraton and downstairs.
                      I stopped by the Espirit Lounge to see it gone. I found Lynn Brenda,Craig and Charlie and Steve-the same bar crew from the Oahu Bar still there.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                        ROUNDHOUSE - now BRAVO, under Anna Miller's;
                        ANNABELLE'S was the club on the Top of the Ilikai;
                        HONG KONG JUNK - Ilikai;
                        FERDINAND'S on Kuhio Ave.;
                        GREEN TURTLE on Kapiolani;
                        TIKI - International Marketplace;
                        CANTON PUKA - International Marketplace;
                        THE MOON - Outrigger Hotel PH

Oh, the memories ..............
                        Does anyone remember Music Magic with Jay Molina, Daryll Bluin, Al Pasqua?
                        They played upstairs,where that CPK is on Ala Moana Blvd.. It was Tops Cantebury or something.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                          There used to be a bar under a swimming pool, somewhere on the beach at Waikiki. A big glass window was built into the back of the bar, and customers would sit at the bar and watch the legs and torsos of the girls that happened to be in the water at the edge of the pool.

Like the Pearl City Tavern with its monkeys, but with swimmers, instead.
                          Was it Davey Jones Locker in the Outrigger Waikiki?
                          Last edited by bf334; July 28, 2008, 08:41 PM.
                          GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bf334 View Post
                            Was it Davey Jones Locker in the Outrigger Waikiki?
                            Yes,I believe so.There was also another underwater pool bar,between the Surfrider and Moana or something. Maybe that was Davy Jones Locker.
                            all pau now

Comment

Boy, we could sure use another one of those mermaid bars!
                              DJL was a 'dive', but low key and a good place to cap one.

Comment

• Nagg's Head

Just got an email from someone who found this thread and asked me to post a message in the hopes it strikes a chord with others:
                                I stumbled across this amazing thread that brought back some wonderful memories of the "old" days.

My late Father, Dennis Shelton, was the original manager for Nagg's Head, back in the day, and it was great to see that some members are still kickin' it and showin' their stuff. Nagg's infamous guitar player, Larry Ponce, who is the love of my life, I might add, may not be one that is still playing "live" anywhere, but he got his son, Nick, his first guitar and VOX amp, at age 13 and I don't think it's been out of da boyz hands, except for sleeping hours (and there are nights that I still hear him jammin' into the early morning hours...awwwww music to mama's ears!) Nick is now 17, has 2 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 electric/acoustic (any ideas for Xmas this year LOL)... writes, sings, plays (along with keyboards) and is well on his own way, with recording tracks. The FEVER has set in.....

Larry's first lesson for Nick was, of course, Crazy Train! Hearing the young one play it, brings back countless memories...... the 80's clothing (spandex required), EYELINER, and the cases upon cases of hair spray....can't let the BIG hair fall when jammin' in the dark, smokey nights at the Cellar! You just can't top those days!!!!! Mahalo, for all the fun, crazy, endless memories of pure Hawaiian talent, at it's BEST!

To Mister Brian Sanford: My beautiful, buff, bass player.......how great it is to hear you came out of hiatus, to show this generation the amazing talent and passion you have! Good for you brah!

If anyone wants to talk story about Nagg's, feel free to contact me at: Hawaiiowa [at] aol.com

Comment

Working...
                                X