• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by kimo55
    as well as another we touched on:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ight=about.com

which basically is a buncha people who fantacise about a Hawaii visit and have a token one or two who have, whose words they worship, where they allow no outsiders into their clique, cuz they don't wanna hear the ugly truth or hear an islander say: "eh. don't come here and complain and whine about manini stuffs, and tell us how it's done on the mainland"
    Forgot about that one -- I took one look after Kimo's original comment, and wrote them off as not worth my time to visit. I guess that's what happens when you have a Hawai‘i forum in a national- or world-wide context: 99% of the posts will be from people chatting about their vacations.

Comment

Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

I tried to engage them in an intelligent conversation but the harsh truth was too much for them. came across with pithy insider info kinda stuff, tried to be patient and offer info, but they would have none of that. started crying;
      'oh that person must be the same one that logs on and posts under many different names and then gets kicked off.'
      and then they deleted all my posts.
      and then they returned to their usual hallmark programming.

Comment

Ah, yes, I'd almost forgotten that Hawaii.com's forums were specifically discussed earlier. A lot of that thread sounds like this one! I guess I should amend my example HawaiiThreads.com entry above to include "scary." Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          We are. Perhaps our sense of humor is too dry and restrained for your tastes.
          OR... our sense of humor is rewarded by neg. rep points. Dunno who could say that, but I've heard it said...

Comment

OR... our sense of humor is rewarded by neg. rep points. Dunno who could say that, but I've heard it said...
            No! Who would do that?

Comment

Oh, so you get that too, huh? "Have you eaten your prunes today?" bahahaha!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

prunes. ugh. One food i would never eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  The reason I visit HT is because it IS about Hawai'i, and Hawai'i is fast becoming like the Mainland.
                  I visit HT for the same reason - because it's about the real Hawaii. And while it's becoming more like the mainland, there is still a lot that makes living here unique. Once you leave and spend 30+ years on the mainland, both you and the place you left will have changed. There are very few places where it feels like time is standing still.
                  I don't get too political over there because about the only thing the expats have in common is that we all have histories in Hawai'i.
                  Well, maybe if you didn't get so political over here, you wouldn't run into as many confrontations.

Originally posted by miulang
                  But will I have a choice about how much of it I am willing to accept? You betcha.
                  Well, I'd be interested to see what kind of response you get from locals when you come back and start making pilikia. Doesn't matter if you're brown-skinned or white-skinned... if you come here with attitudes of "this is how we do it this way on the mainland" and "I've come back to my roots to change the things I think are bad," you going have problems.

Originally posted by miulang
                  One really cool thing about most people in Hawai'i is their playfulness. Why isn't it OK to be playful on HT too? Now if everyone could be as classy as da Scriv, then there wouldn't have to be the mean spiritedness.
                  Not everyone in Hawaii is playful. Go out to Waianae and see how "playful" the soles out there can be. It's also hard to judge a person's attitude and tone by a single post, which is why some of us get into disagreements on here every once in a while.

But if everyone were PC and happy-happy-joy-joy all the time, I don't think I'd come here as much. And as evidenced by the posts in this thread, there are lots of other options for those looking for that kind of sugar-coated discussion.

Comment

Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by admin
                    I think HawaiiThreads.com is just right: enough aloha to remind you why you love Hawaii, enough skepticism and healthy debate so you see all sides (rather than get overwhelmed with smilies and hugs), and a mix of madness and moderation so you have fun, but still know where to go for what.
                    I second that opinion. Every single word of it!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

Well, I'd be interested to see what kind of response you get from locals when you come back and start making pilikia. Doesn't matter if you're brown-skinned or white-skinned... if you come here with attitudes of "this is how we do it this way on the mainland" and "I've come back to my roots to change the things I think are bad," you going have problems.

Actually, I use the information and opinions on this forum as sort of "homework" for the time that I do move back. By keeping up with things as time goes on, it'll be much easier for me to get back into the swing of things
                      "island style". All I have to offer are my observations about all the bad things I've seen happen up here. So as far as wanting to change things in the direction of it being more like the Mainland, I don't have that intention at all. Why would I want to move someplace where it was exactly what I could find up here, and then also have to suffer from the high cost of living to boot? One thing I do pride myself on is the ability to do research and connect the dots. I respect everybody who respects me. I especially respect indigenous people all over the earth because they, more than anything or anyone else, know where it's at, and what I hear from the people I've talked to, where it's at is not a very pretty picture.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why would I want to move someplace where it was exactly what I could find up here, and then also have to suffer from the high cost of living to boot?
                        Well, that's a good question, especially with you telling us Hawaii residents that Hawaii is more and more like the mainland everyday. Why even bother coming back if you're just setting yourself up for disappointment? Maybe it's better if you remain a tourist and only come here to spend your money.

What I meant with the passage from which you quoted me is that the attitudes you may have consciously or unconsciously picked up while living on the mainland for so long could be your downfall when you return.

You may not like what's happening up there, but if you come here and try to act the same way you might around mainland haoles - then like I said, going get problems.

Comment

Well, that's a good question, especially with you telling us Hawaii residents that Hawaii is more and more like the mainland everyday. Why even bother coming back if you're just setting yourself up for disappointment? Maybe it's better if you remain a tourist and only come here to spend your money.

What I meant with the passage from which you quoted me is that the attitudes you may have consciously or unconsciously picked up while living on the mainland for so long could be your downfall when you return.

You may not like what's happening up there, but if you come here and try to act the same way you might around mainland haoles - then like I said, going get problems.
                          You can call me whatever you like, Joe, but a hypocrite I am not. As I stated previously, I respect everyone who respects me. I have absolutely no intention of "Mainlandifying" Hawai'i any more than it is. I see the destruction of the environment up here caused by poor management; I see the urban sprawl and the bureaucratic bungling on projects, I see the racism. What's so wrong about my wanting to do my part to ensure that it doesn't happen in Hawai'i? Look. What I REALLY want to do when I get back to Hawai'i is work with the elderly (especially the people with Alzheimers). Hawai'i has so many people and families touched by this disease and there are barely any resources available to families and victims. Is that not something worth working toward? Demographically within 10 years, Hawai'i will have the largest per capita population of people aged 65+ and older. Most of my professional career has been spent in the health care industry as an analyst. I know what I need to do.

Miulang

Comment

Good for you. Best of luck.

Your post helps to get me back on-topic, however. I'm stating my opinion, which causes you to get defensive. And don't put words in my mouth. If I meant to say you were a hypocrite, I would have used the word hypocrite in my post.

Maybe the reason why you think HT is too mean is because of the way you choose to engage in conversation here. If you want to get political and enter into pissing matches with other users, I'm sure you have realized by now that there's no lack of people to mix it up with around these parts.

You might not have any intention of "mainlandifying" Hawaii, but what you don't realize is that you may unwittingly do it anyway because you've been in that environment for so long.

Comment

Good for you. Best of luck.

Your post helps to get me back on-topic, however. I'm stating my opinion, which causes you to get defensive. And don't put words in my mouth. If I meant to say you were a hypocrite, I would have used the word hypocrite in my post.

Maybe the reason why you think HT is too mean is because of the way you choose to engage in conversation here. If you want to get political and enter into pissing matches with other users, I'm sure you have realized by now that there's no lack of people to mix it up with around these parts.

You might not have any intention of "mainlandifying" Hawaii, but what you don't realize is that you may unwittingly do it anyway because you've been in that environment for so long.
                              Personally, I don't have a problem with anyone who has a problem with me if they can tell me what the problem is. I get really pissed, however, when I get PMs from people who are distraught by the really rude comments that have been sent their way and which, in my opinion, they didn't rightfully deserve. I know what my true reputation and character are based on the people with whom I interact on a daily basis. And that's enough for me. I'll probably never cross paths with you in real life, although I have and will cross paths with others on HT because I want to. I'm not out to win a popularity contest at HT. What I hope I can do is get people to start thinking about stuff besides what I had for lunch yesterday. "Life's a bitch and then you die."

Miulang

Comment

I get really pissed, however, when I get PMs from people who are distraught by the really rude comments that have been sent their way and which, in my opinion, they didn't rightfully deserve.
                                So let them stand up for themselves. Don't go all mother-hen and "protect" people who haven't asked for protection -- and that includes us kama‘āina who still live here. I don't know if you realize how patronizing and condescending you can sound at times. You do.

Comment

Working...
                                X