X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for lunch today? - Chapter 2

Originally posted by glossyp
    I got a cool car which I gave to my sweetie and he loves it!
    This isn't food related, but I just wanted to say, I like that black "Incredibles" toy car. I know there's not much a megacompany can do to make a toy interesting considering the few cents they can spend to manufacture each, so when one of those little trinkets turns out to be different, I notice. (Wendy's for example tends to have the quirkiest, usually less overtly commercial kids' meal toys.) That pull-back car? It's the first I've seen with a "two-stage engine"! You pull it back, it takes off just like any other toy car... but halfway down it's wings pops out and it shifts into a higher gear and speeds off even faster.

The things they can do these days...

Off to try the new Italian restaurant that replaced Sbarro's at King and Alakea...

Comment

Well, in today's Weekly there is another mention of a Mexican restaurant in town (on Kapahulu) so I guess I'll have to give it a try.

But as for the first day of December, I haven't had lunch yet. No matter, not even two o'clock yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Off to try the new Italian restaurant that replaced Sbarro's at King and Alakea...
        That's Spada right? Please report on your experience. Ms. K from the Star didn't sound impressed so I'd like a second opinion!

Comment

Spada Bar & Restaurant, indeed! We got there a little before noon, but there were still a few tables open... not sure if that's a good sign for a new, high-profile downtown eatery.

Cameraphone photos can be seen here!

The food was okay, but not spectacular. My friend Lisa's chicken pesto pizza was the only dish that seemed to qualify as a meal (on the basis of sheer mass), and had the most taste of any dish on the table. My friend Peter's cannelloni was passable for an under-$10 dish, but the portion was also small -- he finished it in five minutes, tops. My fettuccini was bland (though I admit I don't usually appreciate the subtlety of fancy cheese dishes) -- even though the portion was small, I didn't finish it.

My favorite part of the meal was the calamari appetizer and the free bread -- they brought both a kind of cornbread and something resembling nan bread. (Sadly, I'm not an expert on breads.)

Soft drinks were $2. Peter ordered a pineapple juice, and it came in a tiny glass with lots of ice. He ended up getting a soda on the house.

Our server, a Colorado native, was impossibly friendly (she agreed $3 for a tiny cup of pineapple juice was outrageous), but perhaps overwhelmed and seemed to forget various tables. Our longest wait was for someone to collect our payment.

I think a sit-down, table-service restaurant in downtown only works if speed is as important a factor to you as quality. Spada didn't seem to do either well. I'd take the wait if the food rocked, or take crappy food for fast service... but something in between wasn't terribly inspiring.

Comment

Thanks for the report! You hit it on the head regarding the time+food quality+price does not=good value. I won't be hurrying down there anytime soon. BTW, why did you order the cheesey sauce anyway??? JK! The photos were great.

Comment

Went to Hifune in the Chinatown Cultural Plaza (at the Ewa end of Chinatown) yesterday. Known for their tempura, I actually opted for salmon shioyaki. My lunchmates both ordered tempura, but requested only vegetables, no shrimp. The server brought their shrimp plate accidentally, but did take it back and return with a veggie-only plate a little while later. Same price, a fuller plate, tasted great!

Comment

Normally I would head over to Mahalo Drive Inn (formally the L&L Drive Inn #12 on Young Street) for the weekly BBQ Chicken and Hamburger Steak special but I got a gathering to head to this afternoon so I am just munching on Granola bars and sipping on a can of Mountain Dew while I am doing the laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  ... so I am just munching on Granola bars and sipping on a can of Mountain Dew while I am doing the laundry.
                  ho man dat sound like a usual lunch for me too!

but today:
                  pulled out that big box o pizza bagels ya get at Costco for 10 bux.
                  heated them and put on top of them, with a slice of cheese, the below:

made some guacamole.
                  You can do it too!

costco have avos for just 4 and change for 4 ripe avos.
                  Usually they are 2.50 and up. each.

ok.
                  so, the meat of two avos.
                  4 tablespoons of mayo.
                  4 different hot chile peppers. BIG juicy fresh kine.
                  big handful of olives from da can. pitted of course.
                  about half bunch of scallions. (green onions.)

teaspoon at most, of Vegit.
                  throw it all in the blender. Just give it a few "pulse" pumps. don't blend till too liquid.
                  ho. so ono. broke da mout'.

(this also works very well as insect repelling grout, for those loose tiles you may see around da house!)

IF... I had them, woulda also thrown in:
                  tomatoes
                  chinese parsley - aka cilantro.
                  maui onions
                  garlic.

next time!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    That pull-back car? It's the first I've seen with a "two-stage engine"! You pull it back, it takes off just like any other toy car... but halfway down it's wings pops out and it shifts into a higher gear

shhhhtttt... i want one!
                    usta make them ol model cars same kine, back inna 60's.

and one oddah kine; wind up da rubbah band mowdah.
                    den da buggah crash and fall into pieces when it hits da wall.
                    ho, da good fun.

Comment

Leftovers *groans*

how's everyone?

Comment

Cold cuts and cheese with a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Today, I met a food guru downtown for lunch at Indigo. Between us we ate both off the buffet and off the menu, plus appetizers and a decadent "chocolate cloud" dessert.

Comment

some good ol'adobo

Comment

Roast beef, fried rice, mix of non-green salads and a bottle of Pepsi Edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X