Menehune Man's New Ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Menehune Man's New Ride!

I called the Police Department after trying to research the "Pali" question online to no avail. I was told that, and I quote...

"Mopeds aren't allowed on freeways or highways."

That caught me a little aback so didn't ask, but the East end route is all Kalanianiole Highway!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

So you want to drive a MOPED

From what I can tell, as long as there are no signs prohibiting mopeds on the pali (like you see at the entrance of a freeway), it's legal. (But it may not be smart.)

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Huh. I'll have to pay closer attention next time. I can't remember a minimum much less one that high. Hmmmm. If min is 45, wouldn't the speed limit be 55? I don't remember one that high. But then I know my powers of observation can be really bad.

I know there's areas that the speed limit is only 35.
        I wouldn't be surprised, the section of H1 along Makiki has min of 40 and max of 45 I believe. Talk about retarded.

Comment

So you want to drive a MOPED

From what I can tell, as long as there are no signs prohibiting mopeds on the pali (like you see at the entrance of a freeway), it's legal. (But it may not be smart.)
          From the info GeckoGeek found...

291C-198 Speed restrictions on mopeds. (a) No person shall drive a moped at a speed other than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.
          (b) No person shall drive a moped at a speed greater than thirty-five miles per hour (fifty-eight kilometers per hour). [L 1978, c 175, pt of  15]
          Mopeds may not be driven on freeways: Mopeds engines are not supposed to have more than two horsepower. Freeway entrances are posted with signs that prohibit vehicles with less than five horsepower engines. The minimum speed on freeways is 45 mph. §291C-53 Restrictions on use of controlled-access roadway or highway. (a) The director of transportation by rules adopted in accordance with chapter 91, and the counties by ordinance, may regulate or prohibit the use of any controlled-access roadway or highway within their respective jurisdictions by any class or kind of traffic which is found to be incompatible with the normal and safe movement of traffic. …
          …(b) The director of transportation or a county adopting any such prohibition shall erect and maintain official traffic-control devices on the controlled-access roadway or highway on which such prohibitions are applicable and when in place no person shall disobey the restrictions stated on such devices. [L 1971, c 150, pt of §1; am L 1983, c 123, §1; am L 1989, c 29, §2; am L 1993, c 224, §3; am L 1997, c 309, §1; am L 1999, c 262, §3(3)]

So If the minimum posted speed is 45 and the maximum a moped is allowed to drive is 35... Sounds like oil and water to me. Just don't mix do they?!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            So If the minimum posted speed is 45 and the maximum a moped is allowed to drive is 35... Sounds like oil and water to me. Just don't mix do they?!
            Right. I don't know as mopeds are directly banned from the pali, but there might be minimums that are higher then they can go.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Also, the huge wind at the top of the Pali is a problem. Even the cops on motorcycles get blown over on their sides by the wind there sometimes!

That's why I never take pork over the Pali.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I don't know as mopeds are directly banned from the pali, but there might be minimums that are higher then they can go.
                At the end of this month (May '08), I'll have been on my moped for a year!

I have an appointment to install a "Big Bore" kit soon. It'll add torque and speed.

Especially for going over the Pali. I still do it a few times a week!
                Presently I can only reach about 25mph going up, and should be able to do 45 afterwards. So the shop says. (?)

I head over from town to Kailua between 7 and 8am. Then return around noonish. Not bad trafficwise.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to menehune man,i also own a moped and i have obeyed the traffic law's and i only go as the speed limit require's and not much more and my moped is stock and i own a sym moped and it's a nice color and i only go at the speed of 35 mph and not any faster and if their is traffic,i do wait and if they the city is fixing the road's,i wait in trafficgridlock and that's a true nightmare and it's true you cant go on the pali,i did it when i was young when i had a honda areo 50 the discontinued moped and that had a great power to go on only since by learing that that moped's engine could die anytime,i decided not to go over the pali anymore and a friend of mine in high school passed on when he had a accident with his moped and he passed on so i learned not to go over the speed limit so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

It is? May not be a smart idea, but I don't think it's illegal. The Pali is not a freeway.
                    You're right GeckoGeek!

Guess I forgot to mention, but shortly after getting the moped I spoke with a couple of HPD officers. They assured me that it is indeed not illegal to ride a moped over the Pali or any other highway, only the freeways are they banned.

PS: I ride very defensively and with much aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      [...]They assured me that it is indeed not illegal to ride a moped over the Pali [...]
                      Just don't ride over the Pali with a feral pig in your lap...dead or otherwise. Or even a bag of pork rinds, for that matter!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Just don't ride over the Pali with a feral pig in your lap...dead or otherwise. Or even a bag of pork rinds, for that matter!
                        And no packing HPD officers, either!

Comment

Or bacon, too.
                          If you do, and if I smell it (and I will), I'll be the one jogging alongside your moped asking for some.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Can I ask - and hope - you have a helmet?
                            Otherwise I'll have to worry about you!

Comment

MM, I just hope you didn't take your Moped to a certain shop on Kapahulu Ave. I once had my ride serviced there during my UH days and I got it back sans cooling fan. Had to raise a royal stink to get my money back.

Good thing was I learned to wrench on my 'ped soon after the incident. Built up my '87 Elite from a 25 mph hood ornament to a 75 mph flyer, which was reliable enough to commute daily from Mililani to town and back again.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to mixed plate broker,i do know what shop your talking about on kapuhulu and my friend run's this shop and i know him personally and he and his brother who once opened the shop both i know personally and they do a good job on fixing moped's and my sym moped only run's at 35 mph and i didnt know that now it's legal to ride your moped up the pali and back since they once had a law that was illegal to ride and i thought it was still a law?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                                X