Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    Could it be that the people who live in PUNA are called whiners becasue many of them are newly arrived mainlanders who bought and built there, and whom are used to the (possibly) more solid infrastructres of where they moved FROM ?

Visit www.punaweb.org, read the forums and see how many people living there are from more "established" mainland towns and cities, who wanted to live in "paradise"...retirees,etc.... These people most likely want the same level of infrastructure they were used to in their former hometowns, and PUNA maybe just isn't quite there yet.
    I think you're right and that's why I said that complaints about roads/traffic on both sides of the island are similarly motivated.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      Actually federalism at work. I too find it funny to think of Hilo as well-appointed in the infrastructure department.
      What do you mean by this exactly ?

Just curious, as I'm looking into purchasing a place there.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

no. The Punatics compound the problem, but are nowhere near the root of it. Railroad Ave goes from the heart of Hilo to Kapoho and has for decades, but Shipman Industries cut off the x-miles that they own of it.

Majority of the subdivisions are "private", so the landowners there chip in to have their gravel roads repaved periodically after the potholes grow too big. For the same reason, police do not patrol the areas and only come in when someone calls 911.

Helco has done a lot in the last two decades to get power into those subdivisions, which for decades prior meant that if you wanted light, you bought your own generator. The county hasn't stepped up to that plate with water lines, tho.

In the county's defense, someone wrote a grant to get public transportation free, but the buses do not go in to the subdivisions. Imagine what that means on the mauka road, where lots are 3acres a piece, roads are 1mile apart and directions including counting telephone poles by the tens.

In other words, your subdivision might be ten miles from town, but your home is ten miles in from the hwy.

Tired of living like 2nd class citizens in Puna, a lot of those residents have helped push the real estate up in Hilo town, again because there aren't any new developments outside of Kaumana City (rinkidink lot sizes, water catchment, traffic snarls in the a.m. to get anywhere...it isn't any different, even in the socio-economics of the developers and renters).

pax

Comment

What do you mean by this exactly ?

Just curious, as I'm looking into purchasing a place there.
          My limited experience of Hilo has given me the impression that it is a quaint, aging, somewhat rundown town. Don't get me wrong, I like it very much and would certainly consider living there. Of course I'm aging and a bit rundown myself.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

My limited experience of Hilo has given me the impression that it is a quaint, aging, somewhat rundown town. Don't get me wrong, I like it very much and would certainly consider living there. Of course I'm aging and a bit rundown myself.
            LOL...

It is quaint and aging, but as we both know from living in SoCal....the secret eventually gets out, and those dogs have their day, and then that all changes for the better, or worse, depending on your P.O.V.

Comment

The ironic thing is, my brother is finding Puna too genteel, and he bitches about the "rich hippies who don't contribute" constantly.

Next year, he and the Missus are moving to Colorado, building a log cabin and are going off the grid.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                The ironic thing is, my brother is finding Puna too genteel, and he bitches about the "rich hippies who don't contribute" constantly.

Next year, he and the Missus are moving to Colorado, building a log cabin and are going off the grid.
                Yikes..Genteel....does he wear a loincloth and kill his own food with a spear too ?

Comment

Yikes..Genteel....does he wear a loincloth and kill his own food with a spear too ?
                  No, but he works two jobs in addition to the farm and people keep trying to hire him away. He has an engrained work ethic that keeps him sweating all day long and into the evenings. Seems that most people don't move to Puna to become laborers.

His first house there he built himself, while he lived in a tent. Around it, he restored an ancient mango grove. He sold it to a retired gay couple who loved the craftsmanship of the house. Their only addition was to add a swimming pool (!!!!)

And occasionally the pet pigs on the farm do wind up on the dinner table.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I think you're right and that's why I said that complaints about roads/traffic on both sides of the island are similarly motivated.
                    Yes with more people moving here you hear more people growling about the traffic issues in Kohala, Kona and Puna. But that these dissuade the fact the Hilo has shafted the rest of the island for years. I've seen, I've lived through it living here my entire life.

I've re-read the letter in question. It seems this person wants to deny people living in Puna safe roads. Highway 130 is deathtrap and a traffic nightmare. I guess the only
                    way changes will be done is more people sue the state after they get injured in accidents on Highway 130. Its the only way change happens, when it hits them in the pocketbook.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post

I'm more fascinated to learn that Hilo has fantastic infrastructure.

Food for thought, East Hawaii has had three new roads built since 1999.Yes one of them has been the Keaau Bypass. But thats its overall. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Hilo has far superior infrastructure than the rest of the island. They have more parks, better roads (which get paved more often than the rest of the island). In short there is a huge disparity here.

Your probably going to ask if I support splitting this island into counties. I don't think that is good idea. There is too much political roadblocks that would block this. But I may change my mind unless some selfish opinions are changed.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, I agree with your basic premise, but I have to tell you, Hilo looks the way it did 100+ yrs ago. Take a good look at the map hanging in Cronies and you will see that it is still the same structure, and follows the same major road veins and with the exception of Komohana, I don't see a single new major roadway (how do I know this? I have a copy of the same map).

Waiakea Uka and Kaumana did develop since then. Ask *anyone* who lives there about traffic snarls, accidents waiting to happen, how many fatal accidents happened before two traffic lights got installed (one each). For giggles, stay in each area overnight and leave the house between 6-8am and see what I mean.

I want to say that the whole dang island is doing a piss-poor job at urban planning. I'd bet that all of the towns are still following 100 yr old blueprints. (Tim! You're up, dude!
                        Bismillah! we will not let you go-let me go
                        Will not let you go-let me go
                        Will not let you go let me go...
                        <this is the part where Tim sings...oh I'll let him do it>

Big Island needs to think hard on the rail now. connect all four sides of the isle and hub it at the Saddle (the big question: which side should the Ka'u rail be on? Will Mauna Loa blow on the Puna side and head for Hilo, or threaten Miloli'i again? Hmm...need a geo study).

pax

Comment

What am I up for? I'm ready.

"Caramia, Caramia, Beelzebub has a devil for a whore
                          Poor Me, Poor Me, Poor MEEEEEEE" (Champagne glass cracking)

or something like that. I think I'm too young to know.

But I know that Big Island will never have decent planning or ANY infrastructure until the protesting/activist boomers die off, and my generation (X) is able to start building stuff without all the red tape. It's only gonna be another 10 years, and hopefully things won't be too badly destroyed by then.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            "Caramia, Caramia, Beelzebub has a devil for a whore
                            Poor Me, Poor Me, Poor MEEEEEEE" (Champagne glass cracking)

or something like that. I think I'm too young to know.
                            [offtopic]"Mamma mia, mamma mia, mamma mia, let me go.
                            Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me...for me...for MEEEEEEE."
                            But I like your version, too.[/offtopic]

Comment

Sorry Leo. Just showing my age. Which is the main reason why nobody ever listens to me. (Especially when I'm right, and they disagree.)
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                                Aaron, I agree with your basic premise, but I have to tell you, Hilo looks the way it did 100+ yrs ago. Take a good look at the map hanging in Cronies and you will see that it is still the same structure, and follows the same major road veins and with the exception of Komohana, I don't see a single new major roadway (how do I know this? I have a copy of the same map).
                                Puainako Extension- Construction started late 2001 completed late 2004.
                                http://starbulletin.com/2004/09/22/news/story8.html

Mohouli Street extension
                                http://starbulletin.com/2002/04/16/news/story10.html

Keaau Bypass
                                http://starbulletin.com/98/11/23/news/story10.html
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X