Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    *POOF!* He magically appears - he posts - he vanishes again *POOF!* The Amazing Lurkah, ladies and gents! Sorry if you missed him --- he's back to living up to his name.

I know the feeling...was it just a thought that passed my mind or was it...THE AMAZING LURKAH!!!!!! echo echo echo
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Oh wow so who den is Toshiro Mifune?
      hell in the pacific w lee marvin

Comment

Now this is how I remember him
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Well, in English itself, "bad" can mean good, and "sick" can mean great. I'm all for preserving language and proper usage (and improper usage can drive me up the wall), but considering that pidgin also includes "misused" words like "kakaroach" and "hamajang" and plenty of other words pretty much divorced from their original language and meaning... I'd rather embrace its occasional randomness and ridiculousness. It was never meant to be "proper." Just practical.
          What you have described is more like slang. I suppose that is what Hawaiian pidgin has become degraded to. "Bad" and "sick" came from what is called "eubonics" if I am not mistaken. I never say "kakaroach" unless I'm talking about the insect and I never say "hamajang".

I've been thinking about the word "choke" which I admit to using since I was a small child. This seems more proper than the use of the word "grind" for eating. It can be used in proper english as an adverb, "the beach was choked with people". This has become corrupted into "had choke people at the beach" where the word is used as an adjective. Very funny if you look at it closely.

Comment

Now this is how I remember him
            He also played Miyamoto Musashi among many other characters.

Comment

That way lies danger.
              What's weirder is that just reading the stuff is messing with my sense of normal English. When you start reading things like "send one message" (written earlier by me, even) in a different way than it was intended... mmm... is that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                is that bad?
                yea, man dass baaad. and phat!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                  What you have described is more like slang. I suppose that is what Hawaiian pidgin has become degraded to.
                  Can you technically "degrade" a vernacular language? It's not like Hawai`i-based pidgin was developed as a formal language, it's more of a vox populi.

Comment

I know the feeling...was it just a thought that passed my mind or was it...THE AMAZING LURKAH!!!!!! echo echo echo
                    Yep. Bruddah Lurkah is alway around.

Always ready to make me Smile and Strong!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                      What's weirder is that just reading the stuff is messing with my sense of normal English. When you start reading things like "send one message" (written earlier by me, even) in a different way than it was intended... mmm... is that bad?
                      To me, a non-pidgin speaker, a large part of it is about understanding. While I don't expect to ever speak it fluently, I understand a lot of what I hear/read. Context is key, as with many languages, and since pidgin "borrows" extensively from English and other languages, it's not hard to figure out what's being said...if you are paying attention to the entire conversation, and not just hanging up on certain words.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                        I've been thinking about the word "choke" which I admit to using since I was a small child. This seems more proper than the use of the word "grind" for eating. It can be used in proper english as an adverb, "the beach was choked with people". This has become corrupted into "had choke people at the beach" where the word is used as an adjective.
                        Again, with the "corrupted" thing! When, in fact, you've come up with a pretty good explanation for why "choke" might mean what it does in pidgin, just like many of the other adopted English words that you've previously list as somehow correctly adapted within pidgin. I think you may very well be right.

As to "grind," I'm certain that a similar path can be traced to some English definition that would suit eating... specifically, mastication or chewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

aaahhhpau.
                          Fo' real, yah? Kill fight some peepos sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            Fo' real, yah? Kill fight some peepos sometimes.
                            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

told ya he was LURKING......

Too Funny!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                              Fo' real, yah?
                              ...and when I hear the AF say this, it comes out even shorter, as: "F'real?"

Comment

...and when I hear the AF say this, it comes out even shorter, as: "F'real?"
                                ...and my answer to dat is always, "NOT!" or "Yeah, No!"

Auntie pUpule

Comment

Working...
                                X