Mexican restaurants in Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mexican restaurants in Honolulu

it's on the left side of road, but I couldn't really say how far - maybe 1/4 mile?
    i haven't been there in a long time so it may have been closed. sorry if you made the drive for nothing.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Angelito View Post
      They have Menudo on Fridays and Saturdays.
      Great, but do they have Mexican soul food - tacos de lengua or tacos de cabeza with a michelada? What about birria and jamaica?
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

new mexican fave for us is tacos ricos, formerly of 99 ranch, now on kapahulu at the former waiola shave ice spot. reviews here. also was featured on cheap eats. they have dollar tacos between 3pm and 4pm daily.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          Great, but do they have Mexican soul food - tacos de lengua or tacos de cabeza with a michelada? What about birria and jamaica?
          No, my search is still on for Lengua, not a big fan of Cabeza, Birria I can take or leave. I make my own Micheladas. Now I'm hungry...

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            new mexican fave for us is tacos ricos, formerly of 99 ranch, now on kapahulu at the former waiola shave ice spot. reviews here. also was featured on cheap eats. they have dollar tacos between 3pm and 4pm daily.
            Went last night, $14 later I was still hungry because these really are MINI tacos. I've never even heard of tortillas this friggin small! Whoever is making them should stop, it's just not right.
            I'll hit them again during $1 taco hour, otherwise it's overpriced. Taco Diego's gives twice as much for the same price, and I thot THOSE were mini tacos!

Had the 5 for $9 plus a side of Mex rice and a sm. horchata.
            4 carnitas and 1 tounge. Both were great and the white corn tortillas were good. The tounge comes with a sauce and was super tender. No wonder those farm boys...
            The rice was good as well and had a limey/cilantro taste. Different.
            The horchata was just right.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

for anyone interested - Just Taco's has a new place in Manoa, I think at the MarketPlace. Not exactly sure of the location but it is similar in size to the one that used to be at Remington College Bldg. For those of you who have not tried them before, you just might find somethng good there. and there are many HT folks who can verify that!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The popular El Mariachi restaurant in Kaneohe is expanding. There used to be a small branch of Central Pacific Bank next door. EM is tearing down the wall between them so their existing space will more than triple.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Great! They were really cramped with their 25 seats! Love their food although I always carry out.

Comment

Still craving more carnitas I went to Diego's on King to compare w/last night's meal @ Taco Ricos. Paid the same $14 and got 4 carnitas taco, side Mex rice, and horchata, and Diego's is the winner. Even tho one less taco than Ricos, they were more in size and better, better rice, better horchata. For desert, two more tacos. I left full and happy.

Comment

www.luibuenos.com is new, in Haleiwa.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        can you get frijoles de mayo, tomatillos, and carnitas?
                        huh!!? :d
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Los Chaparros as suggested by Pomai is a pretty good place. The food seems pretty authentic and the atmosphere is great. Excellent salsa!
                          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            Went last night, $14 later I was still hungry because these really are MINI tacos. I've never even heard of tortillas this friggin small! Whoever is making them should stop, it's just not right.
                            I'll hit them again during $1 taco hour, otherwise it's overpriced. Taco Diego's gives twice as much for the same price, and I thot THOSE were mini tacos!

Had the 5 for $9 plus a side of Mex rice and a sm. horchata.
                            4 carnitas and 1 tounge. Both were great and the white corn tortillas were good. The tounge comes with a sauce and was super tender. No wonder those farm boys...
                            The rice was good as well and had a limey/cilantro taste. Different.
                            The horchata was just right.
                            we find the 5 tacos for $9 more than sufficient for our appetites & neither eric or i are far from small eaters.

the taco size is exactly what you'd find in authntic ntaco eateries on mainland,
                            like luis's in orefon, which we visite last august and which candidate oba visited w/his bro in law.

apologies for sloppy posting-- eric & i are enjoying ahappy hour at apartment3 & my glass of wine & the platter
                            of cheese before us are too compelling.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              we find the 5 tacos for $9 more than sufficient for our appetites & neither eric or i are far from small eaters. the taco size is exactly what you'd find in authntic ntaco eateries on mainland,
                              like luis's in orefon, which we visite last august and which candidate oba visited w/his bro in law.

apologies for sloppy posting-- eric & i are enjoying ahappy hour at apartment3 & my glass of wine & the platter of cheese before us are too compelling.
                              I'll have to check out orefon someday! Is that in our universe?
                              When I strap my taco appetite on there's no limit to grinding (except my wallet) and I'd have to hit Rico's during taco happy hour to top Diego's. I like how they saute the meat, and do the rice, w/onion and whatever else to add a rustic flavor.

But even when we'd venture down the road to East LA, 40 years ago, for true Mex food I've never seen those chinsy little tortillas. Olvera Street, no mini shells there, for sure! That's where I discovered soft pork tacos and fell in love.

I have a feeling it's taco happy hour today...

Comment

Serg's in Manoa is my new favorite! I wrote a review on yelp if you want my thoughts on it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sergs-mexican-kitchen-honolulu

Los Chapparos is my second favorite.

Both Azteca and El Borrito have made my stomach queasy the last few times so I avoid them.

Comment

Working...
                                X