Mexican restaurants in Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican restaurants in Honolulu

What are some good Mexican restaurants in town?

There were a couple that I used to frequent, but not sure if they're still open--the one on the corner of Young and I think it was Beretania, and the other one on Piikoi.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Mexican restaurants in Honolulu

Los Chaparros on Beretania street. The owners are from Mexico city. Nice folks. Great authentic food. Highly recommended.

See my blog review on the place here and here.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Forgot to mention, there's a (pretty long) thread already started on this subject here: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Los Chaparros on Beretania street. The owners are from Mexico city. Nice folks. Great authentic food. Highly recommended.

See my blog review on the place here and here.
        Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Forgot to mention, there's a (pretty long) thread already started on this subject here: "Authentic" Mexican Food?!
        Thanks, Pomai! I tried a search but for some reason the thread never showed up. I was thinking it was deleted.

flickr

Comment

Happened to hit my old fave El Burrito on Piikoi Sat. It was OK, but seems like it used to be better. The chips and salsa were still good.

Los Chaparros..., went in once. I don't trust no place that smells like cockroaches.

I like Banditos in Pearl Ridge, but they don't have white corn tortillas, a must.
          Probably not a Mexican in the house but flavor is king. Good chips and salsa, good mex rice/beans. I always get a plate w/shredded beef/chicken/cheese enchiladas, so I have no idea what else they have or how it may taste. Personal TVs too, and booze. Fair prices, always no crowd in the nook on the bar side.

Mexico, on School St./Kalihi, went once, was just OK. Would try again, and get something besides my habit of enchiladas.

Diego's Taco Shop/s are good, but kinda pricey. Their tacos are small, but great, so good I've never had anything else. They also serve horchata. I don't know who else does.

Jose's in Kaimuki, basic fare, good. Havn't been for years.

Rosie's in Haleiwa, basic, but they have a special night for all you can eat tacos.

There's a joint in Rest. Row that I want to try.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/rest/ome.htm
          http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oah...estaurants.htm
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; February 8, 2010, 01:57 PM.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

there is also Azteca on Waialae Ave., just around the corner from Jose's. I've always liked it - small but good food, good chips/salsa and you can get a margarita! it's where I go when I really need my "fix" of Mexican food.

Diego's is also good - they have a bigger restaurant on Sand Island Rd.

and of course, my old fave is still Just Tacos, located in Mililani Shopping Center
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

We have Los Garcias, Mexico Lindo and Maui Tacos in Kailua - Cisco's Cantina bit the dust.

Have been only to Los Garcias, which I thought was pretty good. Anyone been to Mexico Lindo?

Comment

Kay den, here's the test. Walk in to Mexican restaurant and ask for "totopos y pico de gallo". This is what gabachos (haolis) call "chips and salsa." If the person behind the counter says "Huh?", walk out, no run out of the place!

Finding good Mexican food in Hawai'i is like finding good grindz in Mexico. Nuf said.

Next time matapule and uaifi in Hawai'i we make big pot of REAL refried beans, REAL guacamole, REAL burritos de puerco, KILLA margaritas, and TUMS for dessert. We invite all HT ohana ober foa kau kau.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  REAL refried beans, REAL guacamole, REAL burritos de puerco.
                  Just post the way YOU make them and I'll be scarfing them down for din!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Just post the way YOU make them and I'll be scarfing them down for din!
                    Can you get frijoles de mayo, tomatillos, and carnitas?
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I believe so!

Comment

Do yourself a favor and go to Serg's Mexican Kitchen, 2740 E.Manoa Rd, in Manoa. My family and I drive from Waianae just to eat there. They have Menudo on Fridays and Saturdays. We're recent transplants from Nevada, and my son says the Flautas are "Broke Da' Mouth" Tell Serge Angel sent you...

Comment

Originally posted by Angelito View Post
                          Do yourself a favor and go to Serg's Mexican Kitchen, 2740 E.Manoa Rd, in Manoa. My family and I drive from Waianae just to eat there. They have Menudo on Fridays and Saturdays. We're recent transplants from Nevada, and my son says the Flautas are "Broke Da' Mouth" Tell Serge Angel sent you...
                          Perfect! I forgot about that place...always meant to try it out.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Angelito View Post

This just in:
                            Serge's is now open on Sundays for breakfast. I know where I'll be this Sunday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Diego's is also good - they have a bigger restaurant on Sand Island Rd.
                              They've got one on Kam Hwy in Pearl City, but where on Sand Island Access Road is this? I drove down there the other day to look for it, but couldn't find it. There used to be a Mexican joint in that building with L&L and Lox o' Bagels, but it shut down last year and nothing's taken its place yet.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X